No First Class to AMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No First Class to AMS?

The reason why SQ has put AMS in the cheaper award zone when launching might have a very simple reason: While they have planned 77W for later this year, it looks like the plane will not deployed. All booking classes F, A and P are zero and awards cannot be moved either...

I've been wondering for a while where this 77W was going to be pulled from.

I know the usual conclusion drawn has been from SQ308/319 when LHR goes 3x 388 daily, but these flights don't operate at the same time as SQ323/4, meaning extra slack would need to be found within 77W rotations, which I thought were pretty tight already.

SQ323/4 Leaves SIN around midnight, for a morning turnaround at AMS, returning to SIN early the following morning. This is also the same timing as MXP, MXP-BCN, MAN-MUC. Where SQ308/319 would complement these services by 'filling the gap' and achieving a neat 3-day rotation over 2 flights, just as SQ 325/6 to/from FRA does, AMS will just shift more demand to the opposing timeslot.

I guess given they have 19 of them and they do fly across many other timings it will be possible, but it's just an observation I've been thinking about for a while. Maybe they don't want to promise first class before they know for sure they will have a reliable supply of 77Ws?

Comment

The switch to a 77W is likely to be delayed due to the problems created by the A380 cracks and the delays this has caused, thus meaning the third LHR will not go A380 until later than envisaged. Only by a couple of months max if all goes to plan. They are planning a bit of shuffling of a/c.

Maybe they have something from MEL they can nick.

Comment

I am holding a confirmed ticket on SQ323 AMS-SIN in O for travel in early July. In the event that they fail to launch the 77W on this route as planned, i.e. a/c remains a 2-class 772ER, how is SQ likely going to reaccomodate pax?

Which is a more likely alternative that SQ is willing to offer (without having to top-up miles)?
        1) Fly back in F from another European destination operated by a 77W (e.g. LHR/FRA)
        2) Extend the validity of the original ticket beyond the stipulated six months, such that I can depart AMS at a later date.

Comment

Originally posted by eriond View Post
          I am holding a confirmed ticket on SQ323 AMS-SIN in O for travel in early July. In the event that they fail to launch the 77W on this route as planned, i.e. a/c remains a 2-class 772ER, how is SQ likely going to reaccomodate pax?

Which is a more likely alternative that SQ is willing to offer (without having to top-up miles)?
          1) Fly back in F from another European destination operated by a 77W (e.g. LHR/FRA)
          2) Extend the validity of the original ticket beyond the stipulated six months, such that I can depart AMS at a later date.
          That's a funny question. If they don't fly F to AMS, I would be pretty surprised if they did not contact you to offer you an alternative of your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
            That's a funny question. If they don't fly F to AMS, I would be pretty surprised if they did not contact you to offer you an alternative of your choice.
            Yeah, I know that they would have to contact me to make necessary arrangements. However, my concern is that they may only give me the "option" of:
            - refunding my miles+taxes fully, or
            - top-up miles+taxes appropriately for departure ex-FRA/LHR (both of which require significantly higher miles and taxes).

Comment

Hmmm... shouldn't they then offer you a first class flight to another European destination with a connection to AMS in F (on another carrier) at their expense?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post

I know the usual conclusion drawn has been from SQ308/319 when LHR goes 3x 388 daily
                I know this is slightly off topic but as I have just upgraded to F with points on SQ308 for two flights late July and early August does SQ228 have any idea when this might go to a 388?

Comment

Originally posted by eriond View Post
                  Yeah, I know that they would have to contact me to make necessary arrangements. However, my concern is that they may only give me the "option" of:
                  - refunding my miles+taxes fully, or
                  - top-up miles+taxes appropriately for departure ex-FRA/LHR (both of which require significantly higher miles and taxes).
                  I am 100% sure that they will offer you both and I hope that as a smart SQTalker you will politely refuse both offers and insist on a decent flight on either another SQ F flight of your choice or a ticket on another carrier.

If you accept the refund or give them a single mile for topping up, you should delete your account here.

Comment

Originally posted by MEL-World View Post
                    I know this is slightly off topic but as I have just upgraded to F with points on SQ308 for two flights late July and early August does SQ228 have any idea when this might go to a 388?
                    Nope, I don't have any idea I'm afraid. It's just been a long-standing topic on here of if and when. Aside from A380 availability and the 77W redeployment, there's also the question of whether the extra capacity on these flights is even needed. Three A380s to LHR every day is a lot of seats to fill.

But I guess if they bought them, they have to use them somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                      Nope, I don't have any idea I'm afraid. It's just been a long-standing topic on here of if and when. Aside from A380 availability and the 77W redeployment, there's also the question of whether the extra capacity on these flights is even needed. Three A380s to LHR every day is a lot of seats to fill.

But I guess if they bought them, they have to use them somewhere...
                      Thanks for the input. I will just have to wait and see.

Comment

Looks like O savers are available to/from AMS on various dates now.
                        But commercial F is still not available.

Comment

PPS Service called me today confirming that F is flying and confirmed my saver awards change. At the same time, there is no commercial booking available.

Are they kidding themselves or am I missing something? F to AMS only for non-rev pax?

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                            PPS Service called me today confirming that F is flying and confirmed my saver awards change. At the same time, there is no commercial booking available.

Are they kidding themselves or am I missing something? F to AMS only for non-rev pax?
                            Maybe SQ will finally provide a "god-like treatment" service to its loyal PPS members.

Comment

I'm surprised at the number of O awards available for booking from AMS on the 77W! Even for the inaugural on 2nd July!

Comment

Working...
                              X