Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia - Westpac Singapore Air Credit Card

Just a head up.

Got email this morning from Westpac that they launching new card, Westpac Singapore Air Credit Card.

http://info.westpac.com.au/singapore...dFeatures.aspx

- 3 miles per $1 spend until 31 Oct, then 1.5 miles per $1 (AMEX)
    - 1 mile per $1 or 1.5 miles per $1 spend overseas (VISA)
    - Doubles miles if buying tickets through singaporeair.com
    - 10.000 miles for joining in

I'm switching my earth platinum to this card this morning

Great offer but it's a pity that it doesn't extend to student visa holders.

Comment

Thanks for the information.

It is about time we Aussies had access to a decent miles earning card.

This a much better miles earning card than my present CitiBank card, blocks of $15,000.00 for 10,000 miles.

I will be changing my present card straight away also. I just hope Amex is more widely accepted in Australia than it use to be about 10 years ago, the Visa card is a better deal than CitiBank anyway so nothing to lose.

SQ238.

Comment

A good card but no use If You are a Virgin Blue Velocity MEMBER

Comment

Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
          Thanks for the information.

It is about time we Aussies had access to a decent miles earning card.

This a much better miles earning card than my present CitiBank card, blocks of $15,000.00 for 10,000 miles.

I will be changing my present card straight away also. I just hope Amex is more widely accepted in Australia than it use to be about 10 years ago, the Visa card is a better deal than CitiBank anyway so nothing to lose.
          The earn rate is much higher than Amex Plat which is $1 = 1.5 SQ miles. But I find that Amex-issued cards (as in, an AMEX AMEX not one issued via a bank) often have really good Membership Rewards promos that more than adequately offsets the lower earn rate. Plus you also get more partners via MR. The downside of course is that AX isn't as widely accepted as VI or MC and you don't have the option of having the extra VI to fallback on, however the situation is defo much better now than it was 10 years ago. Lots of small retailers do accept AX these days, the ones who levy a surcharge or higher min spend for using an AX are in the minority. I'm also able to pay most of my bills with AX.

The Westpac earn rate for the VI is certainly better than the ratio through Citibank.

edited to add: I just realised that the $1 = 3 mile rate is only valid till end of Oct. In which case the $1 = 1.5 mile rate is the same as AX Plat. I might just get it for the VI and send the Citibank card on a sabbatical anyway. Never dealt with Westpac before but the service can't get much worse than Citibank's script reading robots....

Originally posted by SQADL333 View Post
          A good card but no use If You are a Virgin Blue Velocity MEMBER

NAB has a similar card for Velocity members:
          http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connec...finance/4/30/3

Additionally, AMEX-issued cards linked to MR Ascent or Ascent Premium allow the option of redeeming with both Krisflyer and Velocity, and others.
          http://www212.americanexpress.com/ds...94RCRD&page=CM
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 8 May 2009, 04:48 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I am already a Westpac customer, I just applied online, very quick, simple and immediate approval.

On the negative side, reading the terms and conditions I see you do not earn miles when using Bpay for bill payment etc, looks like I will go back to the old fashion way of using post offices for my bills I don't direct debit.

On the positive side, after 12 months I receive a voucher from SQ which gives me a one off 50% discount on miles required for a reward flight or reward upgrade, pretty good offer I feel.

SQ238.

Comment

On the negative side, reading the terms and conditions I see you do not earn miles when using Bpay for bill payment etc, looks like I will go back to the old fashion way of using post offices for my bills I don't direct debit.
              You could also try http://www.postbillpay.com.au/ which eradicates having to pay a visit to Aus Post altogether.

Also, I think most billers do accept payment online through their own websites, eg Optus.

I asked AMEX about using Bpay to pay bills, and apparently if the biller doesn't accept credit cards as a form of payment, the bpay payment will be treated as a cash advance. No points and instant interest.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I am already a Westpac customer, I just applied online, very quick, simple and immediate approval.

On the positive side, after 12 months I receive a voucher from SQ which gives me a one off 50% discount on miles required for a reward flight or reward upgrade, pretty good offer I feel.

SQ238.
                The discount is up to 25000 miles only, and applies for economy class redemptions , or for upgrade. Unfortunately cannot be used for business class redemptions.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                  You could also try http://www.postbillpay.com.au/ which eradicates having to pay a visit to Aus Post altogether.

Also, I think most billers do accept payment online through their own websites, eg Optus.

I asked AMEX about using Bpay to pay bills, and apparently if the biller doesn't accept credit cards as a form of payment, the bpay payment will be treated as a cash advance. No points and instant interest.

Thanks for the information KeithMEL,

I haven't used postbillpay before, I certainly will be from now on though.

SQ238.

Comment

Originally posted by hsf View Post
                    The discount is up to 25000 miles only, and applies for economy class redemptions , or for upgrade. Unfortunately cannot be used for business class redemptions.
                    hsf,

I assume then if I am wanting to book an economy class redemption which would say usually cost me 55000 miles (before online 15% discount.) using my voucher the redemption would cost me 30000 miles plus taxes, correct?

Thanks for any information as I have never used any of these discount vouchers before, only ever upgraded online from economy to business and received 15% discount.

SQ238.

Comment

I am not sure.

See the link.
                      http://info.westpac.com.au/singapore...berOffers.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by mhadian View Post
                        Just a head up.

Got email this morning from Westpac that they launching new card, Westpac Singapore Air Credit Card.

http://info.westpac.com.au/singapore...dFeatures.aspx

- 3 miles per $1 spend until 31 Oct, then 1.5 miles per $1 (AMEX)
                        - 1 mile per $1 or 1.5 miles per $1 spend overseas (VISA)
                        - Doubles miles if buying tickets through singaporeair.com
                        - 10.000 miles for joining in

I'm switching my earth platinum to this card this morning
                        Thank you very much for that information - have just switched my Westpac Altitude card to a new Singapore Airlines Westpac card (done over the phone in a couple of minutes - very easy)

Comment

I will call Westpac tomorrow and try to change my ex Virgin credit card, now Westpac Ingite to the SQ card

Goodbye my last no annual fee card

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBoy View Post
                            I will call Westpac tomorrow and try to change my ex Virgin credit card, now Westpac Ingite to the SQ card

Goodbye my last no annual fee card
                            There are existing Westpac customers with fee free for life Earth or Altitude cards who've managed to get Westpac to swap them over to the Krisflyer card fee-free. So it depends on how persistent you are...

See here for more info (especially posts 16, 18, 19 and 25):
                            http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...ard-17536.html

Also take note of the fine print - if you're an existing Westpac customer who've swapped you might not get the promo miles!
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 17 May 2009, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              There are existing Westpac customers with fee free for life Earth or Altitude cards who've managed to get Westpac to swap them over to the Krisflyer card fee-free. So it depends on how persistent you are...

See here for more info (especially posts 16, 18, 19 and 25):
                              http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...ard-17536.html

Also take note of the fine print - if you're an existing Westpac customer who've swapped you might not get the promo miles!
                              The consultant I spoke to said he was pretty certain (at least for a limited time) that even though I'm swappng, I would get the promo miles ... I'll wait and see what happens (we can hope ...)

Comment

Working...
                              X