Buying Economy Ticket and Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Economy Ticket and Upgrade

Will miles still be earned under normal economy class accruable rules even though u upgrade to biz?

Say if u buy return tickets to uk. 1 way miles is 6000ish.

U upgrade 1 way to biz. do u still earn the 6000ish miles?

If you bought a ticket fare class that allows and to a FFP that allows, then yes, Y miles

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      If you bought a ticket fare class that allows and to a FFP that allows, then yes, Y miles
      Not exactly sure abt the class, but bought a return tix.

upgraded the tix there

But they say no miles accruable.

but for the trip back, there will be miles.

weird.

Comment

You need to ask for the fare class to be able to determine more accurately whether that is true. Sounds like they told you clearly already that the first fare class isn't accruable. It can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
          Not exactly sure abt the class, but bought a return tix.

upgraded the tix there

But they say no miles accruable.

but for the trip back, there will be miles.

weird.
          You need to understand for yourself what fare class you originally purchased, and cross check that with the SQ website to see if it is mileage accruable.

It is very rare that one leg of a journey is non-accruable and the return is. It is much more likely that some barely-competent SQ staff looked at your upgraded leg and saw "I" class, and misinformed you that it was not mileage accruable.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            It is very rare that one leg of a journey is non-accruable and the return is.
            It is possible and I'm facing one exact such problem right now on a 'Flexi' fare (which I've just discovered is an E class, and what was only available to book on the bloody website), and SQ can't find a single 'E' fare seat on the remainder SIN-MEL and asking me to upfare myself to something higher than an 'E' in case they can't find me an 'E' fare Economy seat to confirm availability on unless I want to fly 68 days in advance... on a 3-month ticket

I find it a pathetic attempt at price-gouging.

(yeah, great job SQ - you tell your customers when to fly, not the other way around)

Comment

I would have thought that any economy fare that is upgradeable with miles will also allow you to earn miles. At least that is my experience with the FFPs I use and certainly the case for SQ (upgrades only from Y, B, S, and E which all give you 100% of miles).
              Last edited by Desert Traveller; 12 December 2012, 11:22 AM. Reason: added specific SQ info
              /Desert Traveller

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                It is possible and I'm facing one exact such problem right now on a 'Flexi' fare (which I've just discovered is an E class, and what was only available to book on the bloody website), and SQ can't find a single 'E' fare seat on the remainder SIN-MEL and asking me to upfare myself to something higher than an 'E' in case they can't find me an 'E' fare Economy seat to confirm availability on unless I want to fly 68 days in advance... on a 3-month ticket

I find it a pathetic attempt at price-gouging.

(yeah, great job SQ - you tell your customers when to fly, not the other way around)
                I understand your frustration, and have been there before myself. More and more frequently particularly as they play this price gouging game even more with business class fare buckets.

But where specifically is your example of one leg being mileage accruable and the other not? E is 100% accruable and upgradeable.

Also I have a vague recollection of some particularly unpleasant rule where so long as one leg is in a non-mileage-accruing fare class, it invalidates the mileage earning for the entire journey? Does this still exist?

Comment

But where specifically is your example of one leg being mileage accruable and the other not? E is 100% accruable and upgradeable.
                  You're right - I was venting mostly about their annoying upsell tactics whenever changes have to be made that only serve to cause frustration to their customers anyway. In addition to the utterly annoying SQ version of Fare Class renaming, e.g. Sweet Deals (50% accrual), Two-To-Go (I forget/can't be bothered to search), Flexi Saver (100%), Flexi (100%) etc; let's not forget just about *every* fare class, including the lower/lowest fare classes allows at the minimum 10% accrual into KF (can't remember but think it was V/W classes), iirc, possibly more for show than anything else as it's a pittance and hardly helps towards accruing status anyway.

Let them keep treating their premium pax (those revenue biz tickets you reference, for example) and see how long they can sustain. Not to worry, they seem to prefer investing more dough in their call centres to take the heat off the #@$% website.

Also I have a vague recollection of some particularly unpleasant rule where so long as one leg is in a non-mileage-accruing fare class, it invalidates the mileage earning for the entire journey? Does this still exist?
                  Really, I'd like to know also... find that bizarre as mixed fare classes are getting more and more common the way SQ does things. I'm sure in some circumstances (perhaps PITA pax complaining at overseas ticket counters), some pax would be allowed 'one-time exceptions' to upfare (not necessarily re-issue) at the very least...

Anyway, am always happy to learn if that's not the case. I haven't heard about it.

Comment

You need to understand for yourself what fare class you originally purchased, and cross check that with the SQ website to see if it is mileage accruable.

It is very rare that one leg of a journey is non-accruable and the return is. It is much more likely that some barely-competent SQ staff looked at your upgraded leg and saw "I" class, and misinformed you that it was not mileage accruable.
                    It's on the website.

For the first leg of the journey they put:

NO MILES ACCRUABLE

Second leg of the journey:

KF miles accruable XXX

It's a FLexi ticket. I can't seem to find the fare basis code on the website

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
                      It's on the website.
                      Oh dear...

Seriously, don't you have an e-ticket confirmation e-mail or something??

Comment

Working...
                      X