Miracles do happen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miracles do happen

SQ*G here. Flying in SQ321 in a few hours and would you believe it, I have been upgraded from Y to J! First and possibly last time this will ever happen on SQ!

Congrats.

Get a lottery ticket when you land.

Comment

My last miracle was J to F upgrade on SIN-MXP several months back. What made it more unusual for me was that the upgrade was issued at check-in itself, not at the boarding gate.

The only thing that made me a bit pissed was that the check-in lady PURPOSELY did not allow me to use the Private Room. She made sure to write "Involuntary upgrade" on my boarding pass and specifically told me that I cannot use the Private Room, and called up the Private Room to tell them too.

I was then travelling with a companion who's booked on First Class on a separate PNR. He got the invite to the Private Room. And we both checked-in at the same time, so she could clearly see we were travelling together. Of course, none of us ended up using the Private Room.

While I was happy to be upgraded, I felt that in this case, SQ went out of its way to be petty. Anyone else has a similar experience ??

Comment

Yeah, I got upgraded on a SYD-SIN Flight from Y to J and got told I couldnt use the lounge. I tried anyway but they said no. This was about 2 years ago now.

Wasnt to fussed still got the J product so all good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dickson View Post
          My last miracle was J to F upgrade on SIN-MXP several months back. What made it more unusual for me was that the upgrade was issued at check-in itself, not at the boarding gate.

The only thing that made me a bit pissed was that the check-in lady PURPOSELY did not allow me to use the Private Room. She made sure to write "Involuntary upgrade" on my boarding pass and specifically told me that I cannot use the Private Room, and called up the Private Room to tell them too.

I was then travelling with a companion who's booked on First Class on a separate PNR. He got the invite to the Private Room. And we both checked-in at the same time, so she could clearly see we were travelling together. Of course, none of us ended up using the Private Room.

While I was happy to be upgraded, I felt that in this case, SQ went out of its way to be petty. Anyone else has a similar experience ??
          Wow. I would be annoyed, even insulted. I'd demand to speak to management and that they reprint my BP. I keep each and every single one of them and don't need that clause on my BP. I probably would tell her I don't need the stupid upgrade. Especially since it costs exponentially more to have an extra person in TPR

Congrats, Coffeeblack! Have a fantastic flight

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
            Wow. I would be annoyed, even insulted. I'd demand to speak to management and that they reprint my BP. I keep each and every single one of them and don't need that clause on my BP. I probably would tell her I don't need the stupid upgrade. Especially since it costs exponentially more to have an extra person in TPR
            Are you talking rationally?

I would never turn down an upgrade if the boarding pass has already been printed, for whatever reason (note: the story is different if boarding pass hasn't been printed) - because if i've been upgraded, someone is now in my old seat, which would have almost certainly been carefully chosen well in advance. Turn it down and i could end up in less than desirable seat in my original cabin.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Are you talking rationally?

I would never turn down an upgrade if the boarding pass has already been printed, for whatever reason (note: the story is different if boarding pass hasn't been printed) - because if i've been upgraded, someone is now in my old seat, which would have almost certainly been carefully chosen well in advance. Turn it down and i could end up in less than desirable seat in my original cabin.
              No, it wasn't intended to be rational at all lol

Comment

I've only been ops upgraded ONCE (SIN-ICN) in the last 30 years of flying SQ - in my case it has been much easier to strike a lottery. Also much easier, as many of us know, to get upgraded on an American airline, which is almost a default if you have status.

So if one was offered to me again, it'll be equivalent to hitting one of those Euro jackpots. Heck access to the TPR, I'll sit in the toilet for a little while longer!

Comment

It is quite normal to have some note about 'involuntary upgrade' on the boarding pass, even on other airlines. Usually if the upgrade is given at check-in.

It would indeed be nice if all upgrades come with (or with an upgraded) lounge access, but to be insulted and asking to speak to a manager & demanding a reprint of BP is a bit over the top, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                    It is quite normal to have some note about 'involuntary upgrade' on the boarding pass, even on other airlines. Usually if the upgrade is given at check-in.

It would indeed be nice if all upgrades come with (or with an upgraded) lounge access, but to be insulted and asking to speak to a manager & demanding a reprint of BP is a bit over the top, in my opinion.
                    I remember years back when I got upgraded to C class on CX and LH, I was not able to use lounge also. At that years I was still very inexperience, did not know that CX do give a lounge invitation pass. But no hard feeeling.

An upgrade is an upgrade!
                    visit my blog

Comment

I have never been upgraded by SQ in 30+ plus years of flying them.

Which is why I hold them to very high standards of service for every class of service that I paid for.

That said, I do agree it's petty to deny a passenger lounge access once you've upgraded them. It's not like they upgrade people en masse like CX seems to do judging by many posted comments here.

Dickson, if it's any consolation my most recent experience of the TPR a couple of moons ago was nothing to shout about. Sure I was greeted by name from the front entrance of the SKL through the F lounge and by the TPR staff. But it was a hot Singapore afternoon and the airconditioning wasn't doing its work in the TPR as well as the F area. Even the staff were wilting and discreetly fanning themselves. On top of that, the lights were too bright and contributed to the high temperatures like someone was doing a photo shoot. The glass of Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame did not help at all. I was so happy when time came for me to ride the buggy to my gate and my airconditioned 77W F cabin

I guess this lounge access controversy is the reason why EK upgrades pax at the gate
                      Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

You missed my point. I would not have been upset about not being able to use the TPR. Its fine if she told me that its company policy that I can't use the TPP if I've been upgraded at check-in and I would respect that. But to have that ("involuntary upgrade") written on my BP is just insulting.

*Edited to reflect what "that" in my last sentence referred to
                        Last edited by concept|infinit; 26 July 2012, 12:23 PM.

Comment

You missed my point. I would not have been upset about not being able to use the TPR. Its fine if she told me that its company policy that I can't use the TPP if I've been upgraded at check-in and I would respect that. But to have that written on my BP is just insulting.
                          I don't believe I missed anything here. Nobody said anything about 'no TPR access' being written on boarding pass. Just 'Involuntary Upgrade', which is quite common.

Comment

You missed my point. I would not have been upset about not being able to use the TPR. Its fine if she told me that its company policy that I can't use the TPP if I've been upgraded at check-in and I would respect that. But to have that ("involuntary upgrade") written on my BP is just insulting.

*Edited to reflect what "that" in my last sentence referred to
                            Just how many times has this instance happened to you?
                            HUGE AL

Comment

I don't know any other airline that would write 'involuntary upgrade' on a boarding pass.

First of all, what's 'involuntary' about an upgrade? If you don't want the upgrade, I know at least 50 people on the plane who would love to volunteer.

Second, operational upgrades usually happen only last minute at the gate. That's a point where no one is going back to a lounge to have a meal. Airlines that upgrade at check-in usually allow lounge access.

If you get an upgrade, use the lounge. What is SQ gaining from not giving access and have all these people involved to make sure that this one passenger is not getting access?

SQ is now welcoming non-revenue First Class passengers to the TPR, why not include upgraded pax?

Comment

Working...
                              X