Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What reg 744s have certain fonts of the KrisWorld Flight map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What reg 744s have certain fonts of the KrisWorld Flight map?

Back in the day when SQ2/1 were a 744, I've flown them four times. Although the entertainment system was the same the flight map fonts were very different. One thing I can remember was that I flew the SQ STAR ALLIANCE plane 9V-SPP and it had the fonts that said "Time to Hong Kong/Singapore, etc" and while always returning, I've flown 9V-SPG and it had a different font and transition with "Time to Destination City".

Anyone know the regs of the 744s that had those types in KrisWorld?

9V-SPM - SPQ have the new fonts ... the post-2000 aircraft seem to have a newer version of the flight map (the so-called 3D perspective one rather than the flat 2D version).

Comment

Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
      9V-SPM - SPQ have the new fonts ... the post-2000 aircraft seem to have a newer version of the flight map (the so-called 3D perspective one rather than the flat 2D version).
      I know the fonts are Helvetica but what are the other fonts?

Comment

Which other fonts are you talking about?

The font on the newer B744 flight maps is Arial. The font on the older ones looks like a generic stick font, not sure if it actually has any name.

Comment

What newer 744 maps?!?

Comment

I found out these stick fonts weren't just used on certain 744s, but also on the A343s relating to one picture, on flickr from Feb 1997 ICN-YVR. Anyone know the name of the fonts by chance?

Comment

I'm well aware this thread is more than 4 years old, but here was a reference of the fonts I was asking about back when SQ had 744s and the maps like that (Not the Arial font one):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/c-j-b/...fR-bWNgQ-bWNaC

Video reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEAeN3vTV8Q

I know the 744s are long gone, and I am happy they have 77Ws which are much nicer IMHO, but def wanted to ask this question if anyone has a clue. If not, then it's ok.

Comment

I can take an educated guess as I work with fonts and digital media. I suspect the fonts used are not regular graphic design fonts but rather 'pixel fonts' which are composed of entire pixels only rather than partial pixels, very much like the displays on buses for destination etc.

When vector-based fonts are rasterised, curves and serifs do not occupy entire pixels and lose definition, unless they are anti-aliased. The old screens lacked resolution and for small names on a map, they may not have supported sufficent anti-aliasing for the names to read clearly. Some examples of pixel fonts are Ceriph and Hooge which come in a variety of resolutions to match the required situation. Many of these fonts attempt to mimic standard fonts but provide solutions when issues of definition occur in tricky parts of various letters. For system designers, this is safer, knowing each letter has been individually pixellated, than relying on anti-aliasing to deal with each situation using the same algorithmic approach.

Apologies if you already knew all this or it still makes no sense!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  I can take an educated guess as I work with fonts and digital media. I suspect the fonts used are not regular graphic design fonts but rather 'pixel fonts' which are composed of entire pixels only rather than partial pixels, very much like the displays on buses for destination etc.

When vector-based fonts are rasterised, curves and serifs do not occupy entire pixels and lose definition, unless they are anti-aliased. The old screens lacked resolution and for small names on a map, they may not have supported sufficent anti-aliasing for the names to read clearly. Some examples of pixel fonts are Ceriph and Hooge which come in a variety of resolutions to match the required situation. Many of these fonts attempt to mimic standard fonts but provide solutions when issues of definition occur in tricky parts of various letters. For system designers, this is safer, knowing each letter has been individually pixellated, than relying on anti-aliasing to deal with each situation using the same algorithmic approach.

Apologies if you already knew all this or it still makes no sense!
                  No problem, it's very good to know this though. Wonder if these fonts are actually available anywhere online or something (At least the related ones you mentioned). I never knew about it though, that's why I asked.

More than that, I appreciate the algorithmic approach as in the future my plan is to become a software engineer, yet also applying lots of algorithmic approaches to software and such and such.

Comment

Working...
                  X