Changing departure point after ticket purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing departure point after ticket purchase

Hi all, I have a wedding to attend in Europe next year, and I want to book my flight ticket asap. THe wedding is in June, and I have no idea where I will be living at that time. I am going to book my ticket from Singapore (Sing to Amsterdam), which is around SGD2000. However there is a chance I will be in Melbourne at that time. Tix from Melb to Amsterdam are SGD2500. So if I buy the SGD to AMS ticket now, but then need to change the departure point to Melbourne, how will that affect my airfare? And why is it only 500 more bux to depart from Melbourne when a Melb to SG airfare is over 2000SGD? I just don't want to pay 2000 for the SG to AMS, and then have to pay another 2000 for Melb to SIN.

I'd go into the SG office in Singapore but I am in Japan now for a couple of months.

Also the reason I want to book early is to take advantage of business saver upgrade SG to AMS.

Your only real possibility I think is to book both from Singapore and Melbourne, and cancel the one which you invariably don't need anymore. I don't quite think you can upgrade individual sectors but I could be wrong.

And you last question is, if Melbourne -> Amsterdam was $4000, would you buy it? Probably not, but if Melbourne -> Singapore was $500, would everyone buy it? Probably yes, would SQ be in business? Probably no. It all depends where you book your fare from, likewise Manila -> Amsterdam or Jakarta -> Amsterdam may be cheaper than SIN - AMS and that's one of the billions of factors behind airline ticketing.

Comment

Personally I would book SIN - AMS rtn and sort the upgrade and then use either points if you have enough to get you to SIN from Mel if you end up there or just buy a cheap Y class ticket. Emirates often do specials to SIN from MEL.

Comment

Thanks guys. I hear you Logan, quite often I see 6-700 AUD return flights SIN-MEL or SIN-BNE.

Comment

Book the MEL-SIN-AMS instead. Better flexibility and more miles !

Flights are cheaper from places outside the home port.. ie SIN on SQ. Same situation if you're flying from KUL on MH. It will be cheaper from MEL than from KUL.

Try booking your ticket with your TA. They may be able to hold the reservation for you without issuing the ticket like you have to on line.

That is if you absolutely need to travel on SQ. If you can wait - say closer to the time, you may be able to find better fares .. still on SQ.

Your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
            Book the MEL-SIN-AMS instead. Better flexibility and more miles !

Flights are cheaper from places outside the home port.. ie SIN on SQ. Same situation if you're flying from KUL on MH. It will be cheaper from MEL than from KUL.

Try booking your ticket with your TA. They may be able to hold the reservation for you without issuing the ticket like you have to on line.

That is if you absolutely need to travel on SQ. If you can wait - say closer to the time, you may be able to find better fares .. still on SQ.

Your choice.
            I appreciate your advice, however I want to book in advance so I can get the business saver upgrade from SIN-AMS, that's really cheap for the long haul, and I've travelled on biz saver upgrade on that route before and for me, the product is awesome.

Comment

Working...
            X