SQ International Culinary Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ International Culinary Panel

I was just wondering whether SQ's International Culinary Panel makes a difference for you ? In the sense of, for example:

(i) influencing you to order a meal option inflight because it's created by one of the panel members; or

(ii) eating at one of their restaurants ?

Up till now I would have said "no" to both but this week, I was browsing Amazon to fill up an order for free delivery and I came across Yoshiro Murata's Japanese kaiseki book. I recognised his name only from the SQ publicity, bought the book and having had a glance through it today (lots of pictures of beautifully presented Japanese food), I will probably try one of his restaurants when I visit Kyoto again later this year.

I imagine being on the SQ panel is a big thing as far as (say) SIN's Sam Leong is concerned but presumably doesn't mean THAT much to the other big names (other than, presumably, free or discounted SQ F flights)!

The name Sam Leong does affect me in ordering the food. I think he is the best latest addition to SQ Culinary panel. Maybe it is because his style of Chinese/ Oriental food is highly agreeable to my Straits taste bud. I think Ah-Yat is overrated unless it is Abalone dish.

Out of 4 choices of menu usually offered in C, this is how I would rate the chance of me ordering the dish created by each International Panel Chef:

Sam Leong: 100% and more (It is possible for me to even overide my BTC option)
    Matthew Moran: 75% (unless if it is Chicken or Poultry)
    Yoshihiro Murata: 75%
    Gordon Ramsay: 75%
    Yeung Koon Yat: 50%
    Alfred Portale: 50%
    Sanjeev Kapoor: 50%
    Nancy Oakes: 50%
    George Blanc: 25% (unless the other 3 menus are boring, I would give it a try)

Comment

Like UMD, I'm influenced by Sam also. Maybe also because I've tried his food in his restaurants. His Wasabi Prawns is really something!

Comment

The first Sam Leong I heard about was also known as Sammyboy. 'nuff said

Comment

I haven't really been influenced by the SQ culinary panel when selecting dishes, or, for that matter, restaurants. I've had dishes onboard from the panel that have been quite good, and probably an equal number of times I have been decidedly unimpressed.

It is very, very different to prepare a dish in an actual restaurant kitchen than to do it in a huge airline catering kitchen, for it to be served hours later and 35,000 feet in the air. While I accept that there may be some influence from each of the chefs in the dishes that bear their name on the SQ menus, I tend to believe that it is more of a marketing tool than anything else.

Comment

Well, whilst I wouldn't expect any of the chefs to have prepared my actual meal , I assume they did create the dish (within SQ specified parameters, e.g. cost, available ingredients etc) and presumably have agreed minimum standards (for the sake of their own reputations if nothing else).

I'm interested to hear about this attraction to Sam Leong's dishes from (presumably) Singaporeans/Malaysians! I think all inflight food pretty bland (as I believe the taste buds are affected by altitude; so I definitely wouldn't go for a delicate abalone dish Ah Yat created or otherwise) and I enjoyed the nasi lemak BTC ex-SIN for breakfast (plenty of strong flavours) so I assume that a dish created by him may be the same ? I'll give it a try if I have the chance.

Comment

What's the degree of control the Culinary Panel has over the food preparation? I'm usually rather skeptical, especially with regards to Y food, that the option/s with a star chef attached to it will be any differently prepared to the ones without, beyond the provision of a written recipe. Out of MEL, they all come out of the Qantas Ground Handling kitchen anyway.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 14 March 2007, 06:49 PM. Reason: stupid typo
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

ehm to be honest...

1) No
                2) no.

There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

That a celebrity chef created (the recipe for) one of the in-flight dishes doesn't really affect my choice.

But being on the panel can help put a chef on my radar screen and sometimes affect my choice of restaurant, all other things being equal.

On the former point, I first heard of Gordon Ramsay when flying SQ years ago (before he had much fame in America). Now I know more about him and it's kind of cute that he designs some dishes for SQ. When I picked one of his restaurants for a special meal in London last year, it wasn't because he did dishes for SQ. Rather, it was because he's a reknowned London chef, I was interested in the particular menu at one of his spots, the location of one of his spots was perfect, and it was open on Sunday (few restaurants in London are). OTOH, I was trying to pick a place in San Francisco to take a friend for a belated birthday dinner. Because I know SF fairly well, several top spots were under consideration, but none really outweighed the others. So I figured why not go to Boulevard, where Nancy Oakes is the executive chef to see how her recipes taste at sea level?

As with Gordon Ramsay years ago, SQ has put Matthew Moran on my culinary radar screen. We'll probably give one of his spots a try when we finally make it to Sydney. Why not?

Comment

Thanks, MegatopLover! I think you've expressed what I was trying to get at in my OP - the fact that SQ have put Yoshiro Murata on my culinary radar screen so that I'll probably try to eat at one of his restaurants; and, now you mention it , I will hopefully be in SYD later this year...

Up till now, I'd always thought that the benefits mostly flowed one way (i.e. SQ gets the kudos of having these chefs on their panel - not in the sense that someone would decide to fly SQ because of that but merely to match other airlines which have a similar arrangement) but I see now that certainly for the chefs who are less well known internationally they benefit from the SQ tie up as well (apart from whatever fee is paid to them of course).

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      I came across Yoshiro Murata's Japanese kaiseki book. I recognised his name only from the SQ publicity
                      Just to mention that this week it's been announced that one of Murata san's restaurants - Kikunoi Honten - has been awarded 3 stars by Michelin in its first coverage of Osaka and Kyoto.

6 restaurants in Kyoto (including Kikunoi Honten and Hyotei (a SQT TR here) and all traditional Japanese) received 3 stars; and 1 restaurant in Osaka (French) received the same.

Comment

I've always found Alfred Portale to be a tool in the press -- and his food hasn't really impressed me as I could make it myself.

Nancy Oakes hasn't really put out good food at Boulevard since the early 90's. She's established and falls back on her name and following. Then again, as I've said many times, diners in SF wouldn't know good food if it bit them on the ass.

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                        What's the degree of control the Culinary Panel has over the food preparation? I'm usually rather skeptical, especially with regards to Y food, that the option/s with a star chef attached to it will be any differently prepared to the ones without, beyond the provision of a written recipe. Out of MEL, they all come out of the Qantas Ground Handling kitchen anyway.
                        I completely agree. Many times, it's a lot of hype. However, the food is pretty good on SQ...but not as good as NH.

this is the first good thread I've seen in a while (tr not included).
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                          I've always found Alfred Portale to be a tool in the press -- and his food hasn't really impressed me as I could make it myself.
                          Why didn't you mention that before! The next time in LA, dinner at your place then!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            Why didn't you mention that before! The next time in LA, dinner at your place then!
                            There's no kitchen in my suites...but you already knew that.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              There's no kitchen in my suites...but you already knew that.
                              Then find a suite with a kitchen! Not exactly rocket science.

Comment

Working...
                              X