This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EYCL Pax use SQ business class toilet and gets a scolding from crew

This was reported in today's Sunday Times in Singapore, & an error in the report below is it should be the Suites toilet, not the Business Class toilet.

What Happened

http://boo-n-bouquet.blogspot.com/20...ss-toilet.html

Ricardo uses SQ business class toilet and gets a scolding from crew

Time and tide wait for no man. I might add a tummy ache and its consequences, too, especially for just retired Ricardo Rodrigues recently.

Ricardo was completely stunned when he was reprimanded by a senior cabin crew from Singapore Airlines for using the Business Class toilet when he was not allowed to do so while on a flight back to Singapore.

His mitigating factors were: he had a stomach ache and needed to use the loo urgently, and the economy class toilets were completely occupied.

When he got home, he wrote to the airline: "I would like to bring up an encounter with one of your flight crew that happened to me on a flight from Narita to Singapore on Sat 4th December 2010.

"I was on board flight SQ 637 departing Narita for Singapore and was seated in economy class seat 33D. This being a A380 flight, my seat was in the cabin directly behind the Business class section with a galley between the two cabins.

"After take-off, the crew started to serve drinks to the passengers. I suddenly developed a stomach ache and had to use the toilets. I stood up and saw that the toilets behind me were being used and there were other passengers waiting in line for them. I was also blocked by the drinks cart which was between me and the toilets.

"At this point of time, I had no choice but to try and use the Business class toilet. I went forward and saw one of the toilets was empty, and went to use it.

"Before entering the toilet, I saw two crew members near the toilet who did not stop me going in. After I had finished, I exited the toilet and started walking back to my seat.

" I heard a sound behind me, and when I turned around, I saw a senior crew member whom I recognised to be the In-flight Manager behind me and he in not too many words began to "scold" me by saying "These toilets are not for your use, they are solely for our priority passengers, you must use the toilets at the back. Do not use these toilets again".

"I was too stunned for any words, and I stood there and just replied OK. I then turned around and made my way back to my seat. I guess this guy was still not finished with me as he followed me back to my seat and continued to stare at me.

"I would like to admit that I may have made a mistake by using the Business class toilets and I will not make any excuse for using it except that it was an emergency to me.

"What I really expected was for your crew to speak in a better manner and tell me instead of treating me like some child. I may be in economy class, as this was a family holiday, but when on business I do travel on business class on certain sectors.

"I cannot give you the name of the crew, as I was too stunned to take down his name, but he was definitely a senior crew because all he did was walk around the cabin not doing anything.

"He had a crew cut and had quite a lot of grey hair. I also want to inform you that whilst he was telling me off, there was also another cabin crew member near him, and I could see from his face that he was quite uncomfortable to see and hear his senior treating a passenger in this manner.

"I am writing this not so much to get things from SQ, but to highlight the 'new' kind of service cabin crew are giving to passengers. I am sure that dealing with the millions of passengers SQ handles this has to be part and parcel of the job, but I as a Singaporean who always flies SQ, am very shocked by this.

"Kindly assist me by investigating this matter, as I know a simple letter of apology will normally be the case that Companies send and also to say that the person concerned will be counselled. In this day and age all airlines etc are doing the same for customers, but the difference has to be in the customer service both on the ground and in the air. I know this as I have been in the service industry for the last 30 odd years and have just retired.

"I would like to be able to receive a personal apology face to face from the crew concerned, or I may have to take this matter further. Please understand that this is not a threat."

Ricardo tells me that a woman from SQ called him last evening to apologise, but he feels that a more appropriate response would be a personal apology from the crew member concerned.

The ball is now in SQ's court.

Reply from SQ

http://boo-n-bouquet.blogspot.com/20...l-apology.html

We are sorry, but no personal apology, SIA tells Ricardo

Hours after I posted Ricardo Rodrigues' complaint to Singapore Airlines about an unhappy encounter he had on board SQ 637 from Narita to Singapore, its customer affairs manager Lindy Lin replied to him:

"Dear Mr Rodrigues

Thank you for speaking with me over the phone yesterday. I have since brought your case up to the attention of my Senior Manager.

Informatively, Customer Affairs department is specially set up to handle all customers' feedbacks and therefore it will be the central point of contact for our customers and other departments. As such, while we can empathise with the experience you have related to us, we are regrettably unable to provide you with a personal letter of apology from the crew member or allow you a personal meeting with him.

Mr Rodrigues, I would like to reassure you that we will certainly take stern action against this crew member if it is found he had behaved inappropriately and unprofessionally. The incident will be recorded in his file and his performance will also be monitored. We will strive to ensure that a similar incident does not recur as well. I would also like you to know that I will personally follow through with this case and the investigations with our Cabin Crew Manager.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the poor experience, Mr Rodrigues.
    Thank you.

Yours sincerely

Lindy Lin
    Customer Affairs Manager

Well, the ball is now back in Ricardo's court.
    Last edited by feb01mel; 12 December 2010, 11:46 AM.

I hope SQ do not punish the crew, who did the right thing.

SQ should, in my opinion, give Ricardo a choice of either signing a promise to never again violate the rights of other SQ passengers by using someone else's lavatory or being permanently banned from flying on SQ. I hope this obnoxious passenger is never on one of my flights.
    Last edited by zvezda; 12 December 2010, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Here's my reply (not PR friendly though):

Dear Mr Rodrigues,

since you are ticketed in economy class, you are only entitled to use the economy class cabin toilets. Our business / suites cabin toilets have more amenities than the economy class ones, which you are not entitled to. Also, even if you are super urgent and need to use a toilet immediately, we expect that passengers have basic courtesy to ask a flight attendent for permission to use another cabin's toilets. We are not going to deny you if you have asked politely. As such, we have commended the staff for scolding you.

fone

Comment

"Sir, just to remind you that you should use the toilets in the cabin class you are seated in" with a smile....perhaps followed by a "was there an urgent need?"..."I understand, sir" would have got the point across nicely. It is all a matter of the delivery. If I was a J passenger, I would much rather a Y passenger use "my toilets" than have an accident with the olfactory consequences

Comment

Ricardo should make and ass out of this reply and create a bigger scene all the way up to Bey Soo Khiang or Goh Choon Pong.

Even if the loo was inappropraitely being used, on what premises did the cabin crew had to chide a paying passenger. Really irked to see such inflexibility and disrespect to a fellow human.

Comment

Remember this is just one side of the story. For a personal apology, I feel he is demanding too much. SQ won't be affected if just one (or just a few if you add his family) economy passenger chooses not to fly SQ again.

Even primary school kids know how to ask for permission to go toilet and he doesn't know even to ask when he sees FAs sitting there.

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
              Ricardo should make and ass out of this reply and create a bigger scene all the way up to Bey Soo Khiang or Goh Choon Pong.

Even if the loo was inappropraitely being used, on what premises did the cabin crew had to chide a paying passenger. Really irked to see such inflexibility and disrespect to a fellow human.
              Business class toilets are for business class passengers

End of story!

Comment

I guess I can see it from both points of view. Passenger was on the wrong here for using an unauthorized lavatory (although crew have been flexible on all my flights on this when Y class toilets were occupied). But the inflight supervisor was on the wrong here, if he indeed raised his voice. Obviously we're only hearing one side of the story (passenger could be lying here), but it's just that when one is on a customer service role, there are certain protocols one must follow. The customer/passenger can be an arrogant/demanding SOB like Axl Rose, but as a customer service rep, he cannot and should not raise his voice regardless, unless of course the passenger appears to be a threat.

Comment

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                  Passenger was on the wrong here for using an unauthorized lavatory (although crew have been flexible on all my flights on this when Y class toilets were occupied).
                  That is also not acceptable!

You pay an Economy fare and you get to use the Economy toilets and the associated wait that will occur.

Toilet Ratio A380

Suites 1 toilet per 6 customers
                  Business 1 toilet per 15 customers
                  Economy 1 toilet per 50 customers

I couldn't care less if there is a huge wait in Economy for toilets. I cannot use the suites toilets if there is a wait in Business can I ? NO and nor would I want to unless I was sitting in the suites seats.

Therefore economy cannot use business toilets.

Toilet use such be 100% enforced to the ticketed cabin that you are in.

Comment

Also remember that we are only seeing HIS version of the story. The crew probably told him nicely, he did not like it and cooked up his "scolding" story.

When I am in Y Class I only use Y toilets. If super urgent, then ask the crew for permission first. They do understand. I was in C Class once and the toilets were full. The crew actually then asked me to use the F toilets, stating that the F load was light and both were available so did not mind me using one of them (even though I was not urgent and did not even ask).

Good service is a 2-way thing. I always get it because I try to be nice to the crew and it always works. Greeting them when boarding, trying to remember their names (the crew do thank me for that), smiling at them, etc, just being nice, and guess what, they are always willing to go the extra mile for me. I do see pax esp in C class appearing to be demanding or difficult and then getting "pretty average" service.... you get what you ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                      If super urgent, then ask the crew for permission first. They do understand. I was in C Class once and the toilets were full. The crew actually then asked me to use the F toilets, stating that the F load was light and both were available so did not mind me using one of them (even though I was not urgent and did not even ask).
                      The problem with that is that once people know you can say it's "Urgent" it will be abused and every trip to the toilet becomes "urgent" simply because people don't want to wait in line.

I wouldn't be comfortable using the suites toilets when I am sitting in business, even if the crew member asked me to, out of respect for passengers in that cabin.

Sounds like the crew make up their own rules in regards to toilet usage.

Comment

All this over someone busting for a dump on a plane? It's a bit too much in the grand scheme of life I'm thinking.

Comment

Good service is a 2-way thing. I always get it because I try to be nice to the crew and it always works. Greeting them when boarding, trying to remember their names (the crew do thank me for that), smiling at them, etc, just being nice, and guess what, they are always willing to go the extra mile for me. I do see pax esp in C class appearing to be demanding or difficult and then getting "pretty average" service.... you get what you ask for.

Russ, I can't agree more with you. This is always my philosophy, you treat them well, they will return you the same or even better service level

Comment

Poor guy...
                            This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post

This is so immature. Y = Y. What more do you want?

Ditto. It always takes two hands to clap. Pretty sure they would have let him pass if he bothered to have some manners.

Back to topic. Didn't he consider asking the others ahead of him in the queue to allow him to use the lav first? I'm pretty sure people will let him pass unless they saw through his feign. Perhaps he was lacking in the courtesy department (no doubt overflowing in the waste sector )
                              Last edited by Nick C; 13 December 2010, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X