Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allocation of fare class availability differs by country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allocation of fare class availability differs by country?

To my understanding, the three main SQ business class fare codes are Z, C & J, in descending order from most expensive to least expensive.

Here is the situation:

I am looking to fly on SQ XXX, where J is waitlisted and Z is available. This booking situation is verified by my regular TAs in two different countries (e.g. SG and MY).

However I was somewhat surprised - when playing around with some web booking engines - that J class is in fact bookable on SQ XXX (on the same date) when connecting with a ticket booked in a third country (e.g. HK).

I was of the understanding that if J fare class is full on a particular flight, it's full. Or am I to understand that even within the same fare class, SQ manages which countries may or may not be released additional seat allocation??

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
    ...I was of the understanding that if J fare class is full on a particular flight, it's full. Or am I to understand that even within the same fare class, SQ manages which countries may or may not be released additional seat allocation??
    Yes, welcome to the art of yield management.

It may differ even within the same country via different distribution channels (different TAs). Typically, countries with lower fares tend to have less availabilities for the same booking class.

Don't forget there is also married segments difference if you are connecting to/from SQxxx.

Comment

Working...
    X