Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baggage allowance when connecting SQ (intra-Asia) to UA (transpac) on separate tix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baggage allowance when connecting SQ (intra-Asia) to UA (transpac) on separate tix

This seems to be the best thread to ask my question. Thanks in advance.

I am flying SQ (835) out of PVG in J to SIN. Then connect to a UA flight in C (SIN - HKG - SFO), but on a different ticket. I am *Gold with UA.

My question is about luggage. From the website, it seems that I will only be allowed 50kg (30kg from J Class and 20kg from *Gold). However, since my final destination is the U.S, do u think SQ will apply the piece concept? If this is the case, I can have 3 bags at 23kg each.

If not, then how strict are the PVG checkin agents for SQ? I weighed my bags and they're about 5kg over. Do you think they will be more lenient if you're flying J and is *G? I would hate to have to repack.

By right, you should only get 50 kg allowance since your transpacific flights are on a separate ticket. However 5 kg excess shouldn't be a big deal - my guess is the check-in agent will OK it.

Comment

SQ probably won't apply the piece system since to them your final destination is SIN, not SFO.

Comment

Originally posted by haruki View Post
        If not, then how strict are the PVG checkin agents for SQ? I weighed my bags and they're about 5kg over. Do you think they will be more lenient if you're flying J and is *G? I would hate to have to repack.
        How can your bags be 5kg over if you have 3 pieces at 23kg each? That's 69kg and you're only allowed 50kg based on weight system.

It would depend on SQ. You can say to them that you're connecting through to the USA. And just leave it at that.

The more you act like this is 'normal' , or that you're 'clueless' the better it is for you. The more you say or argue that by right you are allowed so much luggage to the USA, the bigger the hole you're digging should the check in agent decide to go by the rules. But ... they may do you the favour as you are travelling in Business class and is a *G member.

By right, you are only allowed 30kg + 20kg. And if its not the case, then be prepared to pay the excess.

Comment

I just checked in @ PVG with 3 bags 63 kg total. No problem.

Just told the agent that I had 3 bags to check in and please check me thru all the way to SFO.

All was done within 10 minutes, not even a question.

My next problem is getting into the SKL @ Changi without a UA boarding pass. I thought that I could get my boarding pass to print out when I did online checkin. But no go. It didn't allow me to print any boarding passes. What's the point of online check in when you can't print the boarding passes, UA?

Will try to see if SKL will let me in with only a printed itinerary. But I suspect not.

Comment

Another pleasant surprise. I have to say that with all the talk about how strict SQ personnel are, I was apprehensive in trying to gain access to SKL without my UA boarding pass.

However, I explained my situation to the attendant. And they gladly admitted me after taking a look at the itinerary that I printed out (which showed that I was in biz class). All they asked was that when the transit station opens @ 430am, I would get my boarding pass and show them. I think this is to properly bill UA for the visit.

All in all, I am extremely happy with this portion of my journey.

Comment

Working...
            X