Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances of Op-Up from Higher Economy Booking Class?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of Op-Up from Higher Economy Booking Class?

I know this may have been asked before, but i just can't find the thread using the search button.
    Anyways, I am buying a B class fare for 4 people to paris and back from london.
    My question is what are the probabilities that an op-up will surface?

Mods are welcome to merge this thread with appropriate threads.

Thanks
    I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

To be frank - slim to none - The fact that you have 4 doesn't mean it's impossible, but it doesn't help either. I guess a lot would also depend on your status as well.

If the flight isn't full at all, then the chances are none.

Comment

but if the booking is Y class does it make any difference?

Comment

I'd say zero to be safe.

Comment

ok sure thanks

Comment

Originally posted by LOWJHG View Post
            My question is what are the probabilities that an op-up will surface?
            Definitely zero.

Comment

but if the booking is Y class does it make any difference?

It does, for some stations, as a tie breaker. But from my experience, it's always status first. Chances of it getting to that, are very slim indeed.

Comment

Upgrades is usually by status

Comment

a B class fare for 4 people to paris and back from london.
                  You're not asking about SQ but BA or AF perhaps for LHR-CDG ?

In any event, the comments above apply, i.e. upgrades by status rather than booking class.

If you don't get upgraded, it's only a 45 minute flight each way - I'm sure you'll survive!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    You're not asking about SQ but BA or AF perhaps for LHR-CDG ?

If you don't get upgraded, it's only a 45 minute flight each way - I'm sure you'll survive!
                    I didn't even notice that!. Just presumed someone was asking about SQ and we know the answer to that, unless you are UMD.

I'll move it to the right board, and also echo jhm's comment that for such a short flight I don't think it's even worth thinking about. I stand by my comment that for 4 people with (presumably) no status then forget it.

Would also have been a little more helpful if the OP had stated what airline they were travelling.

Comment

The OP is based in SIN. He/she maybe talking about SIN-CDG//LHR-SIN. It is unclear. Chances are even slimmer with those A380 flights.

Comment

As I understand it, some airlines use an aggregate of status and fare class to process upgrades. Taken in the extreme, I know a few like BA and QF rank their pax on an internal scoring system (QF also uses this to process points upgrade requests) which is based on status and fare, as well as a whole range of other factors measuring your commercial worth to the airline such as travel patterns, whether you're a CEO of any big company, whether you influence any substantial travel budgets etc.

Long story short - it's like voodoo. Expect to travel in your booked travel class, and anything else will be a bonus. I wouldn't buy a more expensive fare solely for the possibility of an op up either, unless I really need the flexibility. Don't go staring at load factors too much now, you'll only get very bitter in the likely event that you don't get the op up!
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Actually I think OP is saying "...Anyways, I am buying a B class fare for 4 people to paris and back from london." Which I can surmise that he's buying a ticket for 4 from SIN to Paris, and back from London to SIN, on SQ in B booking class.

Doesn't matter if OP had even bought a full Y booking class fare... they will sit at where the ticket says they sit... and they don't even get advance seat selection unless its bought on line.

Chances of 1 getting upgraded without status, nil.

Chances of 4 getting upgraded altogether without status, hahhahahhahhahhaha! Sorry.

Comment

Guy Betsy: Yes indeed it is SIN-CDG/LHR-SIN.
                            sorry guys for the unclear message
                            and thanks for the advice

anyways, i've consulted my TA and i have gone with AF while changing the destinations. Seems like i'll be going
                            SIN-CDG-VIE/TXL-CDG-SIN all on AF

Comment

Based on the clarification above (thanks to TerryK, Guy Betsy and OP for clarifying the discussion), I'll move this back to the Singapore Airlines forum.

jjpb3
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                              X