Vote for your best SQ cabin crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote for your best SQ cabin crew

I arrived back to Sydney having flown 4 sectors via SIN to ICN within a week, and would you know? In spite of all our gripes on how SQ is cutting back, it's ultimately the cabin crew that makes your day (or hours) on board. However, it is evident to see the cabin crew appears to be most motivated on certain routes, and its not the Asian ones, unfortunately. At least that was my observation. SYD/SIN/SYD is always crewed by attentive cabin crew. Not so for the SIN/ICN sector.
    Other sectors which I have had "bad attitude" SQ cabin crew were SIN/PVG vv SIN/HKG vv and SIN/PEK vv
    I have also flown on other sectors, and the observation is that European, US and Oceania routes always have more diligent crew. Why is this? Would SQ talkers like to prove me incorrect in this?

Originally posted by Cashsuds View Post
    .......SYD/SIN/SYD is always crewed by attentive cabin crew. Not so for the SIN/ICN sector.
    Other sectors which I have had "bad attitude" SQ cabin crew were SIN/PVG vv SIN/HKG vv and SIN/PEK vv
    I have also flown on other sectors, and the observation is that European, US and Oceania routes always have more diligent crew......
    Cabin crews are not assigned to specific routes. They rotate all over the network. Your observation seems more like the difference between longhaul vs regional flights.

Comment

I actually flown the short haul SIN-PVG-SIN and SIN-ICN-SIN a fair bit. I still find the flights are pretty decent particularly in F. Remembered a very decent LS introducing me chilli crab and I enjoyed it with plastic gloves. A very good IFSS on ICN - SIN who was very decent to take care me when I voluntarily downgraded from F to C. In fact, these are my more memorable flights. I hope the airline take care of them well for their honest and decent work.

Comment

I
        I have also flown on other sectors, and the observation is that European, US and Oceania routes always have more diligent crew. Why is this? Would SQ talkers like to prove me incorrect in this?
        I have done one or two SQ flights over the last few years and I can't say I have come across a full SQ crew with a 'bad attitude'.

The odd one or two going through the motions from time to time ?. Sure, they're only human after all. The young ones recently out of boot camp and scared of making a mistake ?. Absolutely. But a complete crew with a 'bad attitude' ?. Never.

As TerryK points out, they are not dedicated to specific routes, with the obvious exception of Japanese/Korean/Indian/Chinese crew and those who speak French, German etc.

Comment

Flying out of Sydney on my last trip - three weeks ago I was encountered by a very new 'ritual'. The flight supervisor went to all the first / biz pax and introduced himself. This is normally the style of reception one gets on JAL and I wondered if this is specific example of one particular crew who wanted to make it special. Or was that a new directive from SQ cabin services? I have not encountered that since.

Comment

I find that personal introduction a very unusual 'new' observation if so. I'd like to agree with your statement in general that there may be *certain* routes (perhaps SIN-KUL-SIN) that require the crew to do a heck of a lot in a very short amount of time where service does degrade, but on some routes like SIN-PEK I'd have to say it's luck of the draw and you may just have been rather unlucky.

My own observation is that treating regular pax with indifference is more and more the 'norm', and yes, that goes for J (F is usually alright). Which is a pity, in some ways. But there are always a few gems that can make even the crappest Y flight awesome.

I've yet to find one particular route that you know is going to be 'crap' from the outset. But even SIN-KUL-SIN is far from 'unbearable'.

Comment

The Korean crew on a flight from SIN-ICN was exceptional, one in particular. Coincidentally, she was also on the flight from ICN-SIN a month and a half later and we recognised each other immediately. That's notable - not just merely memorising names for a current flight. Wish I got her name.

Comment

On that point, ICN-SIN was a fairly early morning flight. I had to travel from inland prior to getting to ICN, and was really tired, so went to sleep soon after takeoff. Guess what, a stewardess woke me up to ask me what my drink was going to be prior to lunch!! I guess she had to fill in her small little chart she was carrying and good points for her enthusiasm!! I couldn't get back to sleep after that as I was really abuzz with "how caring" some of these cabin crew can get. Apart from having the food "thrown" out to feed the "dogs" after that, I could not find anyone to help me with what I love most of all - my water rations, apart from having to buzz them continously!! They were all too busy ferrying "trays" of food to the economy section of the cabin from the biz class gallery. I wonder why?? Wish they brought back the First class on this route!!

It's the same as the nurse waking you up to take your dose of "sleeping tablets" to get to sleep!!!

Comment

Guess what, a stewardess woke me up to ask me what my drink was going to be prior to lunch!! I guess she had to fill in her small little chart she was carrying and good points for her enthusiasm!!
                  I think there is a DND button in the seat for this purpose, oh you can let the crew know in advance that you wish to sleep so they won't disturb you. While it's common sense not to wake you up if your're sleeping, I think the crew is just following procedures bec if she don't ask the passenger, he or she might complain later they were not offered drinks prior lunch.

Comment

Most of the crew I encounter in SQ usually provide good service though the differentiating factor is how much they are willing to go out of the way to provide even better service. Generally, my expectations are usually met except one or two occassions. But then, I'm not a demanding passenger even when I'm flying F.

Comment

The Cabin Crew on Singapore Airlines always provide Good Service that even other Airlines talk about amd I have never had a bad experience with them.I will experience the service of the Singapore Girl in just over a Month when I go to Vietnam in Economy Class.This alone was enough for me to say NO TO Cheap Jetstar Flights for my holidays.

Comment

I haven't done this route with SQ in well over 20 years, but even back then when SQ was one notch above everyone else, with the SIN-MAA-SIN route, SQ was consistently horrible (even worse than a lot of North American carriers). Hopefully thats not the case these days with that particular route. Otherwise, SQ has been consistently excellent even in Y, with the odd flights here and there.

Comment

apart from having to buzz them continously!!
                          I can't quite help thinking that this may have something to do with thinking some crews are 'bad'. Even the best trained and most patient cabin crew in the world have a tipping point, as (contrary to comical belief) they are human.

Comment

I think by now SQ frequent flyers can tell the difference between SQ service (the service that other airlines talk about) and other airlines (service that no one talks about) be it good or bad!!
                            One aspect of an attentive crew in SQ is that you get a cabin crew that walks around every now and then with a tray in hand to make sure everyone is comfortable (even if he/she is sleeping)!! The service that no one talks about on other airlines is the one that cabin crew disappear very soon after serving and finishing meal service. Usually these are the ones that you need to buzz them and still not get their attention even if you send up with a heart attack or the floor boards opening up under you (God forbid this happening on SQ flights or any flights).
                            It all depends, the higher you raise the bar, e.g. SQ, the more you will be expected to deliver!! but no one should die of dehydration on board!!
                            The cabin crew on board SQ is one of the most precious resource that SQ has and can boast of at the moment amidst fierce competition - This is the only reason why I continue to fly on SQ in spite of..... They also work the hardest and have the lowest remuneration package. So why should some "slack" cabin crew spoil it for others? It goes to show that SQ management is to blame here. They have taken their eye off the ball and gone on to "count beans" for their shareholders!!! They should get back in the game and make SQ what it should be, the rest will follow!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X