Instantaneous IFE - Can It Be True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instantaneous IFE - Can It Be True?

I just got off 9V-SRO on SQ175 (HAN-SIN).

As it happens in the week so far, I was too busy rushing with some business meetings around Vietnam that I had no time to check in on-line. No sms was sent to my phone asking me to mobile check-in either, for some reason.

This particular bird is a standard B777-200, but the IFE system was unlike any other 772 that I'd been on previously (was in 39K, of all seats - IFE box underneath, btw). There was nothing special otherwise about this plane except the superbly fast Krisworld (we're talking no lag time here, on par to the new Panasonic ex2 systems). Yes, it was the same small screen, the same chairs, same pitch etc, but it made Krisworld THAT much better.

I am very impressed and I don't know what SQ did with the IFE system on this plane, or whether it was a fluke - but here's to hoping this goes system-wide.

If we have to put up with the old product on regional flights, at least let there be 'Instantaneous Krisworld'!

Nothing else of note on this flight except one LS had the most awfully annoyed expression when one of the pax asked for some Coca-Cola before they carried out the drinks service officially (which does not have Coca-Cola as a selection, anyway). Oh - the menu this month's Indian and Western in Y, no 'Vietnamese' selection ex Hanoi (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that - just pointing it out), which I thought was unusual.

Was the IFE GUI the new one?

Comment

Absolutely not, hence my surprise!

Comment

On my flight to HAN recently, I had VOD but I don't remember it being fast at all.

On the way back, there wasn't even VOD and I had problem with the sound. Changed seats twice but in the end, they took the tape out, cleaned it and started it up again.

Must have been on a different plane?

Could your IFE have been faster because there were less stuff loaded onto it?

Service was good - My bubbly was never allowed to empty. Very empty on C both ways but I heard that Y was near full. I posted the C menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          was in 39K, of all seats - IFE box underneath, btw)
          Aren't the IFE boxes under the C,D,H seats?

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
            On my flight to HAN recently, I had VOD but I don't remember it being fast at all.

On the way back, there wasn't even VOD and I had problem with the sound. Changed seats twice but in the end, they took the tape out, cleaned it and started it up again.

Must have been on a different plane?

Could your IFE have been faster because there were less stuff loaded onto it?

Service was good - My bubbly was never allowed to empty. Very empty on C both ways but I heard that Y was near full. I posted the C menu.
            On my flight up - the IFE was standard: slow as usual (will check registration later)

I'll post the Y menu later (yay, they distribute menus on SIN-HAN sectors)...

9V-JKL: Will take a look again through my photo collection on the flight as I had to take a photo under the seat due to dropping my headphone adaptor/packed row etc.. It was all very fast and I could have imagined this box, come to think of it... need to re-check.

Has no one else ever encountered this very fast IFE? I will definitely be hoping to fly on this bird again, that's for sure!

Comment

It was all very fast and I could have imagined this box, come to think of it... need to re-check.
              What were you drinking or smoking before the flight

Comment

I was getting off a 3-hr car ride... so might have been a bit dazed...

There was something under my seat that was 'boxy' though...

I took a photo so will check later. I wish I had taken a video to show you all how quick the IFE was... it was absolutely 'Instant'! Total joy to use... AVOD also..

Comment

and then Kyo woke up

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                    and then Kyo woke up
                    Oh don't you dare start...

Comment

I was getting off a 3-hr car ride... so might have been a bit dazed...
                      As that sounds like the time and route from Haiphong to Noi Bai Airport, I can sympathise if you arrived at HAN feeling a little less than stellar.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        As that sounds like the time and route from Haiphong to Noi Bai Airport, I can sympathise if you arrived at HAN feeling a little less than stellar.
                        Nailed it in one...

Although it was actually 2hr 45, since it was raining and rain = bicycle-less roads + highways! Yay!

I'd post the menu up for you in case you need it... but then again, you never go in Y, so I'll just put it up later on..

Comment

From what I understand, some of the 777s & 744s will be getting the new GUI from the IFE. I would guess that it's all the AVOD birds.

Comment

Nick_C - The only thing is, this was the old AVOD... I hope someone flies 9V-SRO soon and can take a video of it and post it on YouTube.. We're not talking refurbished craft here. Old menu system, old graphics, but speed was 'instantaneous'.

Old AVOD <- Super fast.

I'm impressed and hope I get this bird more on all the regional hops. It does make a difference, to me.

Time to schlep over to Changi now - Oslo beckons! No more old AVOD on this 77W...

Comment

Nick_C - The only thing is, this was the old AVOD... I hope someone flies 9V-SRO soon and can take a video of it and post it on YouTube.. We're not talking refurbished craft here. Old menu system, old graphics, but speed was 'instantaneous'.

Old AVOD <- Super fast.
                              Perhaps, I wasn't too clear. SRO might have seen the hardware & software tweaks required for it to accept the new GUI which has yet to be loaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X