SIN-KUL - Should SQ Make Magazines Available In Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    y have plenty of newspapers onboard, more than enough to go around. Is five magazines more going to make a huge difference? One would expect not, surely.
    This is the kind of confident claim that I've been reacting to, Kyo (like the 'a step too far' assertion). I don't have access to SQ's actual business calculations (I suspect neither do you), and so my assumption, which I think is equally as valid as yours, is that if the additional magazines in Y brought in business on the KUL shuttles that outweighed the operational costs, they would have been there. If it's a matter of moving magazines from J to Y, perhaps. But you were suggesting putting into place a process where magazines were re-allocated, for example, from the SKL to the KUL shuttles. I can easily imagine a scenario where the premium branding is better supported by magazines in the lounges than onboard the KUL shuttles. IME, activity costs in businesses sometimes aggregate in unexpected ways.

Yours is an impassioned plea for a change, but I think it can stand being assessed against alernative viewpoints, no?

Thread title modified.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 29 August 2009, 11:56 PM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

LionCity - Yes, they have plenty of newspapers onboard, more than enough to go around. Is five magazines more going to make a huge difference? One would expect not, surely.

Which post are you referring to?

Comment

It is an impassioned plea for a change, only qualified on the basis of mec's assertion that magazines were never available in Y, ever, on these routes, thus disqualifying the 'no longer available' assumption that was made.

I do intend to ask this coming weekend whether this standard procedure has always been the case, regardless. Something about not taking everything written on the Internet at face value, although I'm sure mec's info is faultless in this regard.

Many thanks, jjpb3

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
          LionCity - Yes, they have plenty of newspapers onboard, more than enough to go around. Is five magazines more going to make a huge difference? One would expect not, surely.

Which post are you referring to?
          This one:

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
          I remembered newspaper as I have read them onboard in F and EY but can't confirmed on or remembered seeing magazines on flights to KUL in either class.
          Yes, there are magazines in J, if I'm not wrong there at least 6 in two rows (i.e. 12) of 4 publications. I was the only pax to ask for a magazine in J that morning.

Comment

Yes, there are magazines in J, if I'm not wrong there at least 6 in two rows (i.e. 12) of 4 publications. I was the only pax to ask for a magazine in J that morning.
            Perhaps all of them are frequent-flyer enough to have read the 4 mags* already ?

Also perhaps SQ have made their business decision based on 95% of pax who do not ask for any magazines on a KUL shuttle? (bearing in mind an ST or New ST is sufficient for most pax on such a hectic flt)

If you fly PEN in Y, why not pick up a copy of Times, The Economist or Business Week? Magazines are available (my apologies Sir jjpb3 if you need to re-title the thread again )

*SGX Pulses, Asian Golf, Wealth and Asian Geographic

Comment

In view of the latest info on mags on the SIN-PEN route in Y, the title of the thread has been further modified. I'm happy to edit based on any updates.

jjpb3
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

mec: How odd... I recall 'Wheels' also being available for selection..? A once-off?

Originally posted by mec View Post
                Perhaps all of them are frequent-flyer enough to have read the 4 mags* already ?
                Perhaps, perhaps not.

Also perhaps SQ have made their business decision based on 95% of pax who do not ask for any magazines on a KUL shuttle? (bearing in mind an ST or New ST is sufficient for most pax on such a hectic flt)
                /begin impassioned plea for change

"Out of sight, out of mind"?

Perhaps given the choice, or even a trial, more pax would ask for magazines? As for ST or NST being 'sufficient' - it highlights the perspective not of the traveler, but one I can see only coming from SQ's viewpoint. As for the subtle assertion that making magazines available creates more work for cabin crew, they can easily be placed on the tray outside to be collected prior to boarding, same with the newspapers.

Here's merely a hypothetical, far-fetched as it may seem.

What if, instead of the decision-makers saying:

"Let's give them something to read, anything to read will do, why not newspapers, people only expect newspapers anyway - so let's cut out magazine availability in Y, since they're not going to mind either way on a short 25-minute flight. Newspapers are cheaper and a dime a dozen and it'll make less work for the cabin crew."

Supposing this tune was instead more customer-centric?

"Let's give them a choice of something to read instead of just bog-standard, way-too-large-when-unfolded newspapers that when opened up intrude into the space of the person next to you, whilst leaving dirty ink marks on their hands. Customers will appreciate the choice, and it will go a long way towards positioning ourselves as forward-thinkers, always proactively proffering a product that goes beyond their expectations."

I posit... that it is not a matter of business decision but a matter of 'convenience' - to keep things at the status quo and just hope that people won't notice and/or ask for it.

When it comes to passenger wellbeing, I miss SQ's proactivity. Apart from proactively culling PPS membership, along with all its associated benefits, there have been all-too-many examples of how they have proactively done just about all-they-can to nip any pleasant overtures to their passengers in the bud these last two years.

Let's not forget that there once was a company who were capable of proactively, constantly introducing and innovating. Pushing the boundaries on what people expect, and what is offered. Going beyond 'First Class'. More recently, the arguably far less resource-intensive introduction of offerings like TWG tea*. These are deliberate (and very welcome) customer-centric gestures. Once again - would a small stack of magazines be too much to ask for? Little gestures are what resonate with the customer. Little gestures are what build and maintain loyalty, especially in these troubled economic times.

I say let the little gestures come. Proactively.

/end impassioned plea for change

If you fly PEN in Y, why not pick up a copy of Times, The Economist or Business Week? Magazines are available (my apologies Sir jjpb3 if you need to re-title the thread again )
                May I point out that it was not I who 'confirmed' this... hence the assumption that Toffees had encountered the same experience on a route he travels fairly frequently 'every month', even.

Originally posted by Toffees View Post
                For SIN-PEN-SIN, I can confirm no magazines other than the crappy Silverkris mag in Y class...i travel this route every month...reason they gave is magazines for this route in Y is not loaded....wonder who true

* for premium pax

Comment

If you leave a "small stack" of magazines outside the door, everyone will most likely take one (or more); most will be thrown away unread; and when the stack of magazines run out, the remaining pax will complain and/or post on SQT !

Comment

mec: How odd... I recall 'Wheels' also being available for selection..? A once-off?
                    Oh dear, I wouldn't know I remember they had Smart Investor not too long ago but they seem to have replaced it with a new one called Wealth. They also used to carry Peak magazine but not anymore. Perhaps they rotate certain mags? Or perhaps they based this change on pax feedback or take-up rate aka popularity? (but I am beginning to disqualify this as I tend to agree with you that they only effect changes based on their own whims)

Perhaps, perhaps not.
                    I was hoping that you wouldn't buy this hypothesis either

then more than a few frequent SQ flyers also did not seem to be aware of this when I brought it up in a little SIN drinks session this past week, in fact, the reaction was mostly mild surprise, I'd say
                    I'm presuming this would be a good testimony to the fact that this group of flyers do not even notice or are bothered about having a magazine on this particularly hectic* flt? (well, at least not until you brought it up)

Perhaps given the choice, or even a trial, more pax would ask for magazines? As for ST or NST being 'sufficient' - it highlights the perspective not of the traveler, but one I can see only coming from SQ's viewpoint.
                    As above

Newspapers are cheaper and a dime a dozen and it'll make less work for the cabin crew
                    I hate maths and calculations, but I cannot relate how magazines which are usually recycled could be more expensive than daily stacks of newspapers? Secondly, I don't know about you or the crew, but I personally prefer to put some magazines on a rack than having to set up that humongous pile of Straits Times on a trolley at the aerobridge.

As for the subtle assertion that making magazines available creates more work for cabin crew, they can easily be placed on the tray outside to be collected prior to boarding, same with the newspapers.
                    Why do I even bother about whether it's more work for the crew or not (in this instance)? They put the mags on the shelves/racks before the flt begins...so it could be a 10hrs duration or a 25min flt. It's the same amt of work for a pre-boarding duty. (ie. not during the flt)

I was speaking of hectic* for us as passengers.

Supposing this tune was instead more customer-centric?

"Let's give them a choice of something to read instead of just bog-standard, way-too-large-when-unfolded newspapers that when opened up intrude into the space of the person next to you, whilst leaving dirty ink marks on their hands. Customers will appreciate the choice, and it will go a long way towards positioning ourselves as forward-thinkers, always proactively proffering a product that goes beyond their expectations."

I posit... that it is not a matter of business decision but a matter of 'convenience' - to keep things at the status quo and just hope that people won't notice and/or ask for it.
                    I suspect it's the status quo thingy too . When they had shuttle code-sharing agreement with MH, I noticed the service and fares were to be similar.

Unfortunately this may remain status quo untill many more pax like your good self highlight this to SQ.

When it comes to passenger wellbeing, I miss SQ's proactivity. Apart from proactively culling PPS membership, along with all its associated benefits, there have been all-too-many examples of how they have proactively done just about all-they-can to nip any pleasant overtures to their passengers in the bud these last two years.

Let's not forget that there once was a company who were capable of proactively, constantly introducing and innovating. Pushing the boundaries on what people expect, and what is offered. Going beyond 'First Class'. More recently, the arguably far less resource-intensive introduction of offerings like TWG tea*. These are deliberate (and very welcome) customer-centric gestures. Once again - would a small stack of magazines be too much to ask for? Little gestures are what resonate with the customer. Little gestures are what build and maintain loyalty, especially in these troubled economic times.

I say let the little gestures come. Proactively.
                    I too have a long list for them and miss their product innovations and proactiveness.
                    However, I will certainly put 'magazines in Y for KUL' right at the bottom of my list. I think there are more pressing issues for them to handle than this one.

I suspect they don't care about the 5% of us would like to read a magazine instead of getting our fingers dirty or poking our neighbour's face or worse still, a stewardess' ...... whilst reading a newspaper

Or maybe they do care? I read someone else's post regarding improved newspaper selections on CGK.

Nah, but I guess you are right Kyo, they don't care.

May I point out that it was not I who 'confirmed' this... hence the assumption that Toffees had encountered the same experience on a route he travels fairly frequently 'every month', even.
                    Horrors! Gasp! I am switching to MH for PEN flts!!
                    Last edited by mec; 30 August 2009, 05:56 AM. Reason: for ease of reading

Comment

Fair enough that the magazine are in J/F. I accept the fact as you pointed out.

On magazines, I have several thoughts from several consideration to answer your question:

1. Environmental side - Newspapers/Magazines on such short haul flight be avoided for Carbon dioxide emission issue and extra demand of such items produce more pollution. Longer haul flight have some recycling of magazines and newspaper. Pax should also travel lite as much as possible. The environment tells me no magazine required.

2. Tailoring to Customer Service - Every customer's demand and expectations. I supposed tailoring to different customers' needs then the answer is Yes for magazine to be required.

3. Should we be tolerant of this shortfall? - The flight is extremely short and the service will have to quick. There are also some alternatives for distraction. The answer is No magazine is required..

4. What are the competitors doing? - So far all my domestic flights outside of SQ even in F up to 2.5 hours do not have magazines other than the airline magazines. Again, I MUST SAY I DO NOT HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCES ON THIS. No magazine required as this seems to be the industrial standard. But open to change.

5. What is the general flying public expectations - Don't think most members in this area required this based on the flight profile. Answer is probably no magazine.

Do we alternatives? - There are LCCs and MH that do fly on this route. Cost is lower for the LCCs and not sure if the service is any lower on this short haul. Besides we can vote with our wallet if not happy with SQ and that is the biggest feedback a customer can give....that is through the bottomline. It maybe that feedback loop of the PPS changes have already affected SQ to some degree but I ready don't know.

While I know everyone is enjoying reading about the healthy debates..I got this evil thought that someone reading from Airline House and thinking we are a strange lot spending much time on the simple magazine issue. Perhaps better to end it. But not for me to decide.

That is all I have to say.
                      Last edited by LionCity; 30 August 2009, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X