Aircraft upgrade for SIN-LAX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nursalimLPP View Post
    Spoke to a cabin crew apparently he is under going training for 773 er due to change of aircraft or something on that line for sq 11 and 12.

I took sq 11 from LAX to Sin august 8th and thats what he said. INTERESTING!!!
    We know from the last investor briefing that one more of the JumboJets will be leaving the fleet before 1 April 2011. We know that all of them will leave the fleet within about two years or so. Each time one leaves the fleet, the number of JumboJet-qualified cabin crew is reduced. Since they're not retiring as fast as the Jumbos, most of them will need to be retrained for different aircraft. So, I would not consider retraining to be evidence that any particular JumboJet route will be the next to switch equipment type. Almost certainly, SIN-MEL will be the next SQ route to lose the JumboJet (despite not having it at the moment).

Given what little we know about the JumboJet retirement schedule, it's a rather safe bet than both SQ11/12 and SQ25/26 will be keeping the present equipment until at least Q1 2011 (calendar year). With the arrival of three new WhaleJets around Jan/Feb, we'll probably see either SQ25/26 or SQ308/319 upgauged. If the latter, then I expect to see SQ11/12 downgauged about the same time, with a couple more JumboJets leaving the fleet early in the 2011/2012 FY either way.

Comment

Oh i see well never say never though! I am bored of the 747 haha.

Comment

I am bored of the 747.
        Don't worry. Two years from now, they probably will all be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
          Don't worry. Two years from now, they probably will all be gone.
          Thank goodness. Then we can finally be done with these ridiculous threads.
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            Thank goodness. Then we can finally be done with these ridiculous threads.
            Agreed on the thread front, but I shall shed a tear when the last 744 leaves the fleet

Comment

IF THEY TAKE IN 747 800 WOULD BE AWESOME.
              haha

well i do hope they do go though because it is time to go!!

Comment

haha
                Just to keep the rumour mill alive and kicking?

Comment

Ten years from now, the backbone of SQ's fleet will be the A350 or 787 or both. Don't expect to see any 747-8Is in the fleet unless SQ first order the 747-8F. Even then, it would be unlikely.

Comment

SQ did the "New Business Class" showcase roadtrip in Los Angeles this weekend.

According to the rep and flight attendant, Japan blocked SQ's intention to replace 744 with A380 on NRT LAX on daily basis due to "capacity restriction" and "pressure" from JAL and ANA.

Most likely it'll be 388/77W mix, or unless the so called "capacity restriction" is removed, in the future but not definite time frame is set
                    Airline Route | twitter

Comment

Another possibility is SIN-MNL-LAX. The Philippine government are considering a unilateral Open Skies policy, similar to Dubai. If that happens, I would expect to see SQ start SIN-MNL-LAX with 777-300ER service.

Comment

Originally posted by jimyvr View Post
                        SQ did the "New Business Class" showcase roadtrip in Los Angeles this weekend.

According to the rep and flight attendant, Japan blocked SQ's intention to replace 744 with A380 on NRT LAX on daily basis due to "capacity restriction" and "pressure" from JAL and ANA.

Most likely it'll be 388/77W mix, or unless the so called "capacity restriction" is removed, in the future but not definite time frame is set
                        The same pilot I quoted recently (02 September 2010) said, "The SQ A380 tie up is completely related to JAL. Until JAL has one flying NRT-LAX -- and we all know that's not going to happen any time soon given their financial situation -- SQ cannot do anything."

Personally, I hope they junk that POS 744 ASAP. IT SUCKS!
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                          Another possibility is SIN-MNL-LAX. The Philippine government are considering a unilateral Open Skies policy, similar to Dubai. If that happens, I would expect to see SQ start SIN-MNL-LAX with 777-300ER service.
                          MNL-LAX definitely wouldn't have any issues filling up in the back cabins.

I have less faith with the Philippine authorities' ability to get their act together on this. I'm happy to be proven a pessimist on this.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            MNL-LAX definitely wouldn't have any issues filling up in the back cabins....
                            But SQ focuses on F/C yields. SQ is not interested in routes with high Y load yet limited F/C demand.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                              But SQ focuses on F/C yields. SQ is not interested in routes with high Y load yet limited F/C demand.
                              Indeed, that's why I was specific in my post about Y cabin.

A direct MNL-LAX flight just might tempt F/C flyers who currently use CX on that route, for example. The detour through SIN is too much according to those I know who fly that route.
                              Last edited by jjpb3; 12 September 2010, 09:58 PM.
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                                SIN-ATH would be a counter-example.

It's clear that in Business Class, SQ would have to charge less for SIN-MNL-LAX than for SIN-LAX non-stop. However, I would not assume that MNL is purely a low-yield VFR destination because SQ use 3-cabin aircraft to serve MNL.

For the route to work, SQ need a sufficient mix of MNL-LAX and SIN...LAX traffic -- in any proportion.

Comment

Working...
                                X