Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIN-HKG, B777-200, A380 and going standby - thoughts and comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-HKG, B777-200, A380 and going standby - thoughts and comments?

I booked a UA Mileage Plus award for a friend for April '10, for HKG-SIN-HKG in J. Outbound is on a B777-200, return was on SQ862, a B77W.

Then the unthinkeable happened - SQ862 was cancelled and replaced by the A380 SQ856. SQ made the change on their side. Bonus. Everything looked good.

Then the more unthinkeable happened. UA called and asked my friend which flight he wanted, and not knowing the specifics, although offered, chose a different flight instead of the A380 flight. He chose the B777-200 flight! Naturally, UA now won't make the switch to the A380, and quite rightly so. I didn't think to warn him of such a call (though I had told him of a plane switch), since it looked like SQ had made the change on their side and things were fine.

My question is - what are the possibilities that the B772 will go A380 or A330 before April '10? And, will SQ allow standby for in J for the earlier A380 flight during check in? Is it best to do this at the airport, or go a day or so earlier to Paragon/Ion check in?

TIA!

Originally posted by bmchris View Post
    I booked a UA Mileage Plus award for a friend for April '10, for HKG-SIN-HKG in J. Outbound is on a B777-200, return was on SQ862, a B77W.

Then the unthinkeable happened - SQ862 was cancelled and replaced by the A380 SQ856. SQ made the change on their side. Bonus. Everything looked good.

Then the more unthinkeable happened. UA called and asked my friend which flight he wanted, and not knowing the specifics, although offered, chose a different flight instead of the A380 flight. He chose the B777-200 flight! Naturally, UA now won't make the switch to the A380, and quite rightly so. I didn't think to warn him of such a call (though I had told him of a plane switch), since it looked like SQ had made the change on their side and things were fine.

My question is - what are the possibilities that the B772 will go A380 or A330 before April '10? And, will SQ allow standby for in J for the earlier A380 flight during check in? Is it best to do this at the airport, or go a day or so earlier to Paragon/Ion check in?

TIA!
    HI! Sad to hear that you are in that situation. if you ask me, i guess it should be by Q1 2010 as all the A380 has already been fulfilled to SQ this year and A330 would be on Aussie and Japan route..or hoping the load for SQ 856 will be exceptionally well and perhaps SQ would then place the additional A388 to twice daily on the SIN - HKG route..Getting standy by at the airport for the A388 J is very risky..unless you have the time of the world..and you are talking about the A388...you could try the 77w though...

Comment

Working...
    X