Singapore Airlines To Inaugurate A380 Operations to Hong Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    while SFO can indeed handle the Whale, it is only optimal to do so in perfect weather conditions.
    Huh? With good visibility, SFO has four runways in operation. With poor visibility (typically due to fog or heavy rain), SFO has two runways in operation because the runways are spaced too closely for simultaneous operations without the pilots being able to see each other. Shutting down two runways limits the number of arrivals and departures per hour and UA start canceling flights like SFO-LAX and vv. I've seen UA substitute a JumboJet onto SFO-LAX-SFO to take all the passengers whose flights were cancelled. How does that make the WhaleJet optimal only in perfect weather conditions?

Comment

Which direction of the Inaugural flight would be more fun?

I think I will join one sector of the Inaugural flight of SIN-HKG-SIN, but I am still considering which direction I should take.

For those First To Fly experts here, would you mind sharing which direction of the inaugural flight you think would be more fun?

My plans are as follow:
      Plan 1: 6 July HKG-SIN(773), then 9 July SIN-HKG Inaugural (388)
      Plan 2: 9 July HKG-SIN Inaugural (388), then 12 July SIN-HKG(388)

Thanks a lot!!

PS: I will be in Y

Comment

If I were you, I will take Plan 1, as the home base of SQ is in Singapore, naturally the inaugural flight originating from Singapore will be of more fanfare. But come to think of it, seems commericially A380 is first for Hong Kong airport I think, so perhaps Hong Kong might have an even bigger celebration than Singapore as Singapore already has a few current A380 routes.

Plan 2 is also good, as both your routes are by A380

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
          If I were you, I will take Plan 1, as the home base of SQ is in Singapore, naturally the inaugural flight originating from Singapore will be of more fanfare. But come to think of it, seems commericially A380 is first for Hong Kong airport I think, so perhaps Hong Kong might have an even bigger celebration than Singapore as Singapore already has a few current A380 routes.

Plan 2 is also good, as both your routes are by A380
          I have the same thinking with you, so I am still struggling what should I choose...

Is that normally SQ will provide souvenir to the passengers? If yes, do you think both flight will be provide same souvenir?

Very difficult to make decision...

Comment

Originally posted by sutrakhk View Post
            I think I will join one sector of the Inaugural flight of SIN-HKG-SIN, but I am still considering which direction I should take.

For those First To Fly experts here, would you mind sharing which direction of the inaugural flight you think would be more fun?

My plans are as follow:
            Plan 1: 6 July HKG-SIN(773), then 9 July SIN-HKG Inaugural (388)
            Plan 2: 9 July HKG-SIN Inaugural (388), then 12 July SIN-HKG(388)

Thanks a lot!!

PS: I will be in Y
            Hope you go for plan two...

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
              Hope you go for plan two...
              Just checked, plan 2 is a little bit more expensive (HK$1925) now as the lower booking class may be full already, hope they will release more seat tomorrow.

BTW, the cheapest fare is booking in N class(GV2) or Q class, which is HK$1375 (N) and HK$1675 (Q), I use KVS and expertflyer, both see that the flight have those booking class available, but Singaporeair.com said those fare are sold, so I am a little bit confused.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                The question is, will we get a long run-up of questions and foreshadowing about someone's first Beyond First experience on the SIN-HKG route?
                Well, it would certainly be a competitive edge over CX when HK passengers will want to try the Suites experience !

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                  Huh? With good visibility, SFO has four runways in operation. With poor visibility (typically due to fog or heavy rain), SFO has two runways in operation because the runways are spaced too closely for simultaneous operations without the pilots being able to see each other. Shutting down two runways limits the number of arrivals and departures per hour and UA start canceling flights like SFO-LAX and vv. I've seen UA substitute a JumboJet onto SFO-LAX-SFO to take all the passengers whose flights were cancelled. How does that make the WhaleJet optimal only in perfect weather conditions?
                  There's been a lot of talk among SFO airport officials for a very long time regarding the extremely poor expansion planning that took place years ago. The major gripe has been that SF built the new international terminal (keeping the A380 in mind), but did no planning with regard to the runways. As always, your comments are spot on, zvezda! But with delays stacking up more and more with the increase of traffic, and given the runway expansion problem, the WhaleJet to SFO is deemed a "risky" proposition.

Note: I am quite beat from work and don't know if I articulated myself well...
                  HUGE AL

Comment

There's been a lot of talk among SFO airport officials for a very long time regarding the extremely poor expansion planning that took place years ago. The major gripe has been that SF built the new international terminal (keeping the A380 in mind), but did no planning with regard to the runways.
                    Just to clarify, there has been loads of planning at SFO with regard to the runways. The problem is that none of the plans have ever been approved due to opposition from the radical environmentalists. The airport even offered to buy, as part of a deal to build new runways, large areas of former wetlands now used for salt production to return them to natural wetlands, which would have left the San Francisco Bay in much better and more natural environmental condition than it is now. However, the radical environmentalists insisted on restoration of the former wetlands without building the new runways.

As always, your comments are spot on, zvezda!
                    Thank you for the kind words!

But with delays stacking up more and more with the increase of traffic, and given the runway expansion problem, the WhaleJet to SFO is deemed a "risky" proposition.
                    What's the risk exactly?

Comment

SIA A380 to Hong Kong is a little short for a big plane...since when huge jumbos such as 747s and A380s are employed on such short 3 hour routes (at least for SIA)?

So SIA cannot extend their A380 services from Hong Kong ,Tokyo to San Francisco and Los Angeles because they are technically not ready?

Comment

Originally posted by SQalMundo View Post
                        SIA A380 to Hong Kong is a little short for a big plane...since when huge jumbos such as 747s and A380s are employed on such short 3 hour routes (at least for SIA)?
                        SQ744's used to operate to MNL/KUL/BKK amongst other things.

And these weren't one-off's - they were regular.

The old SQ75, 67/68 and 119 I think were for a time 744's.

Comment

Originally posted by SQalMundo View Post

So SIA cannot extend their A380 services from Hong Kong ,Tokyo to San Francisco and Los Angeles because they are technically not ready?
                          The problems are not technical, the problem is a lack of demand.

Comment

Just to clarify, there has been loads of planning at SFO with regard to the runways. The problem is that none of the plans have ever been approved due to opposition from the radical environmentalists. The airport even offered to buy, as part of a deal to build new runways, large areas of former wetlands now used for salt production to return them to natural wetlands, which would have left the San Francisco Bay in much better and more natural environmental condition than it is now. However, the radical environmentalists insisted on restoration of the former wetlands without building the new runways.
                            I remember this story very well. They also had a plan to do the floating runways (which I thought would be very cool) to not impact The Bay whatsoever -- again, this one got shot down as well.

What's the risk exactly?
                            I've heard that SFO Operations is not comfortable with the runway lengths and haven't been for a long time. When the A380 was scoped out in the plans of the new terminals, there was concern as to whether the A380 could land and take off in bad conditions. The day that it did fly in, it was sunny and clear. Add to that the already massive delay problems the airport experiences during bad weather, and when you put a large aircraft into that delay, a lot of unhappy passengers are added to the masses. It's quite a quandary that I wouldn't wish upon anyone.

Now SF's mayor has been accused of being completely absent as he is working on his run for governor. The airport continues to be in political gridlock and the city loses revenue the more this continues.

The other consideration is the fees that SFO charges. I don't know what they are now, but when the international terminal opened (waaaay over budget), SFO boosted the fees to the airlines so much that some reduced their schedules and others left altogether (Southwest, who is now kind of back).

But you know what? I'll step out of this discussion as I would rather leave it to the experts who are in the know (read: zvezda) of the current situation. I haven't spoken with anyone at the airport in quite a few months.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                              You've forgotten about the first SIN-LHR vs. first LHR-SIN A380 flights, haven't you?
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I've heard that SFO Operations is not comfortable with the runway lengths and haven't been for a long time. When the A380 was scoped out in the plans of the new terminals, there was concern as to whether the A380 could land and take off in bad conditions. The day that it did fly in, it was sunny and clear.
                                Interesting. The WhaleJet has better field performance than the JumboJet (primarily due to the much larger wings). With comparable payload and enough fuel for the same mission, the WhaleJet needs less runway for takeoff and less for landing. I can't think what the concern might be.

Comment

Working...
                                X