Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-SFO loophole to save you MONEY!

Hi everyone,

I have been waiting and waiting to book my tickets to the US east coast and it really looks as though SQ will hold out as long as they can before reducing surcharges. At last i found a way to save close to S$400.00 in surcharges for those who really can't wait to any more to book.

Here it is :

Book
    SQ866 SIN-HKG 1330 -1715
    SQ002 HKG-SIN 2245 -2035
    SQ001 SFO-HKG 0105 - 0635
    SQ859 HKG-SIN 1030-1410

This way, we only pay the fair fuel surcharges set by Hong Kong Government as opposed to the ridiculous ones that SQ are charging.

Total taxes and surcharges : S$257.00 (YQ - $116.00!!)

Total texes and surcharges for Y SIN-SFO : S$653.00 (YQ - S$536.00!!!)

You may have a slightly longer transit but i think HKIA is not too bad for this.

Happy hunting!

If you go the ICN route....Tickets ticketed in Seoul are surcharge exempt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQDoubter View Post
      This way, we only pay the fair fuel surcharges set by Hong Kong Government as opposed to the ridiculous ones that SQ are charging.
      THe HKCAD does approve all passenger fuel surcharges but those surcharges have been shown to be high (or ridiculous) as well as low(er).

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
        THe HKCAD does approve all passenger fuel surcharges but those surcharges have been shown to be high (or ridiculous) as well as low(er).
        But the trend over the last few months is that the fuel surcharge is substantially cut down (by around 75% to the current HK$239 for Long-Haul) from the times when it was at an all-time high of HK$924 last summer (when the jet-fuel price was at an all-time high of close to US$150 per gallon). There is no discrimination to the class of service as well.

As for SQ ex-SIN, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by fumitani View Post
          If you go the ICN route....Tickets ticketed in Seoul are surcharge exempt!
          does that mean ALL tickets ticketed here are surcharge exempt?

just booked a r/t ICN-SIN-ATH and the surcharge was KRW323k!

Comment

For those playing along at home and wondering how does the Op actually get to SFO:

SQ002 HKG-SIN 2245 -2035

should be -

SQ002 HKG-SFO 2245 -2035

(And yes, useful information on the YQs..)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              For those playing along at home and wondering how does the Op actually get to SFO:

SQ002 HKG-SIN 2245 -2035

should be -

SQ002 HKG-SFO 2245 -2035

(And yes, useful information on the YQs..)
              HUGE AL

Comment

YES I AGREE. Even booking SQ 2/1 for SIN-HKG and HKG-SFO as different segments, SIN-HKG on SQ SIN website and HKG-SFO on HKG website is cheaper than booking SIN-SFO direct on SIN website.

Comment

Guess what people. Its that time of year again for me to head to US East Coast and SQ has closed this loophole by requiring a $200 surcharge per stopover!

I mean the lower surcharge was a bonus but the best thing was that i could stop in either direction for a nice break. Now i cant!

SQ! u SUCK!

Comment

Guess what people. Its that time of year again for me to head to US East Coast and SQ has closed this loophole by requiring a $200 surcharge per stopover!

I mean the lower surcharge was a bonus but the best thing was that i could stop in either direction for a nice break. Now i cant!

SQ! u SUCK!
                    Well, someone in SQ must have read your thread.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I have been waiting and waiting to book my tickets to the US east coast and it really looks as though SQ will hold out as long as they can before reducing surcharges. At last i found a way to save close to S$400.00 in surcharges for those who really can't wait to any more to book.

Here it is :

Book
                      SQ866 SIN-HKG 1330 -1715
                      SQ002 HKG-SIN 2245 -2035
                      SQ001 SFO-HKG 0105 - 0635
                      SQ859 HKG-SIN 1030-1410

Total taxes and surcharges : S$257.00 (YQ - $116.00!!)

Total texes and surcharges for Y SIN-SFO : S$653.00 (YQ - S$536.00!!!)

You may have a slightly longer transit but i think HKIA is not too bad for this.

Happy hunting!

Well, you're booking these flight separately, right?
                      If yes, there's one thing I think is critical is about the checked baggage weight allownace.

For economy class, for example, one can only bring 20kg... according to their website.
                      We can bring 2 pieces of 23kg only for USA routes.

But I think SQ won't be that picky on this.....since you're booking SQ all the way...

Comment

Working...
                      X