SIA launch US Airways Trans-Atlantic codeshare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIA launch US Airways Trans-Atlantic codeshare

Starting 29MAR09, Singapore Airlines will display its "SQ" code on US Airways' Trans-atlantic service:

Manchester - Philadelphia
    Milan - Philadelphia

This will be SIA's 1st trans-atlantic codeshare operated by US Airways.
    Airline Route | twitter

US Airways: Service that even other airlines talk about (while pointing and laughing)

I guess SQ passengers are in for a real shock when they get off their SIN-MAN/MXP and step onto their US flight...

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
      US Airways: Service that even other airlines talk about (while pointing and laughing)

I guess SQ passengers are in for a real shock when they get off their SIN-MAN/MXP and step onto their US flight...
      That's why I also told myself when I saw the codeshare got approved awhile ago - "this is going to be the worst nightmare for airliners.net", since they all think SIA better or will not codeshare on US Trans-atlantic due to service level differences
      Airline Route | twitter

Comment

LukeGT and MAN Flyer, could you write up a TR on these new codeshares please?

‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Looking at the title, I really thought this thread was a joke but apparently not!

Comment

USAir First Class

Originally posted by stargold View Post

They certainly will, if my experience on USair domestic is any indication:

Obese Flight Attendant that appeared annoyed whenever the call button was pressed & was more intent on catching up on reading his novel in his seat upfront. - And this was First Class mind you!

No meal options during that flight, even in first class, cos it just wasn't the right time of the day.

Perhaps on the domestic front, SQ should maybe try to work something out with Jetblue - they deliver with more panache & to me, they are as close to them in terms of service levels to SQ as a US carrier can ever hope to be!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ Queen View Post
              Perhaps on the domestic front, SQ should maybe try to work something out with Jetblue - they deliver with more panache & to me, they are as close to them in terms of service levels to SQ as a US carrier can ever hope to be!
              Even NWA is decent as a US carrier. Codesharing with them for transatlantic flights may have been beneficial for SQ pax instead of US Airways, but I think the criteria for them now is they need to codeshare with a Star Alliance member for international codesharing, but I could be wrong about this.

Comment

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                Even NWA is decent as a US carrier. Codesharing with them for transatlantic flights may have been beneficial for SQ pax instead....but I could be wrong about this.
                You certainly are, as they are neither *A nor do they fly to MAN.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  You certainly are, as they are neither *A nor do they fly to MAN.
                  I knew they weren't part of Star Alliance. They are in another group that MH is part of. We used to collect NWA points on almost every MH trip. I just wasn't sure if SQ had a rule that they can only codeshare with Star Alliance partners for international codesharing, which was why they are using US Airways. They used to codeshare alot with VS (and still do on maybe a couple flights), but back then, SQ had high shares in VS.

I never knew NWA never had a flight to MAN or Milan. They did have a flight to Rome thru a connection at AMS, and this NWA flight was operated by KLM.

Comment

sumitsan,

Just to clarify a couple of points for you:

They are in another group that MH is part of.
                    MH is not a member of Skyteam

Originally posted by sumistsan View Post
                    They used to codeshare alot with VS (and still do on maybe a couple flights), but back then, SQ had high shares in VS.
                    SQ still holds a 49% share in VS

Comment

Originally posted by SQ Queen View Post
                      They certainly will, if my experience on USair domestic is any indication:

Obese Flight Attendant that appeared annoyed whenever the call button was pressed & was more intent on catching up on reading his novel in his seat upfront. - And this was First Class mind you!

No meal options during that flight, even in first class, cos it just wasn't the right time of the day.
                      Seems polar opposite to the service I received on my two flights on US last year. Granted I was flying in whY - but still, on both flights crew were quite chatty and very attentive.

Maybe it was because I was having to pay for everything or because I told one of the crew of my intended itinerary that day (PBI-CLT-JFK-FRA-SIN-SYD) and they applied the mercy rule

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                        Seems polar opposite to the service I received on my two flights on US last year. Granted I was flying in whY - but still, on both flights crew were quite chatty and very attentive.

Maybe it was because I was having to pay for everything or because I told one of the crew of my intended itinerary that day (PBI-CLT-JFK-FRA-SIN-SYD) and they applied the mercy rule

I have flown USair in Y before & there are no major complaints there cos my expectations were pretty much non-existent I just took it as if I was travelling on a public bus, nothing more.

JetBlue's overtly friendly crew seem to be part of the company's culture & I really did not mind the 2 hour traffic backlog into JFK from Orlando with live cable feeds from all the major networks into your personal video sceen in economy.

My wish that SQ will be able to link up with them the same as what they do with Delta, which is not part of the star alliance.

By the way, as NW is now part of Delta, does it mean that we can earn Krisflyer points on NW flights as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnar Smithsen View Post
                          sumitsan,

MH is not a member of Skyteam
                          It wasn't the Skyteam. It was the Enrich, which NWA is also part of. But NWA has their own points as well. In 2006, if you travelled by MH, you could rack up points on NWA, and if you travelled NWA, you could rack up on Enrich as well. Even the Virgin group is part of the group. In 2008, on a trip from SYD-MEL on Virgin Blue, I collected some NWA points then too.

I knew SQ had 49% on VS, but wasn't sure if they still do or if they sold a lot of the shares or not. Thanks for the update there Gunnar Smithsen.

Comment

It wasn't the Skyteam. It was the Enrich, which NWA is also part of. But NWA has their own points as well. In 2006, if you travelled by MH, you could rack up points on NWA, and if you travelled NWA, you could rack up on Enrich as well. Even the Virgin group is part of the group. In 2008, on a trip from SYD-MEL on Virgin Blue, I collected some NWA points then too.
                            I think you're causing confusion with your language, sumitsan. Common usage of FF terms means part (e.g., "LX is part of M&M") and partner ("NW is a partner of Enrich") usually denote different things.
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                              Common usage of FF terms means part (e.g., "LX is part of M&M") and partner ("NW is a partner of Enrich") usually denote different things.
                              sumitsan, as jjpb3 has alluded to, your wording was the source of the confusion.

The Enrich program is MH's FF program of which NW is a partner airline. This works in the same way that Krisflyer is SQ's FF program and DL is a partner airline.

Hope this has been cleared up..

Comment

Working...
                              X