Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dilemma: A380 or B777-300ER from LHR to SIN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
    On A380 because it can be too quiet you can hear snoring and flushing toilets.

That's what Emirates pilots have been complaining about in the crew rest areas.
    That's because the Emirates crew rest area is in the centre section of the rear main deck cabin, surrounded by Y class seats on either side, and with doors that look to the untrained eye to be not dissimilar to lavatory doors!

If EK wanted its pilots to have undisturbed sleep they should have put the crew rest somewhere else...

Comment

I have clearly not been keeping up. But when is the 777-300ER replacing the 747 for LHR-SIN? The J seats are similar to that on the A380 right? I have got a couple of J tickets booked on the 747, it would be quite nice to be on those swanky new seats!

Comment

Originally posted by LHR View Post
        I have clearly not been keeping up. But when is the 777-300ER replacing the 747 for LHR-SIN? The J seats are similar to that on the A380 right? I have got a couple of J tickets booked on the 747, it would be quite nice to be on those swanky new seats!
        77W will replace the 744 on SQ308/319 wef 29MAR09

Comment

I'm checking tickets for April, May, and June at singaporeair.com, and they're still showing 747-400 for SQ308. When will they update the webiste? Or is this change to 777 a temporary change?

Comment

My guess is that this is in progress. I tried looking at options for my existing redemption booking & the 777s showed up correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
              Great, thanks! Looking forward to those new J seats, although the spacebeds were pretty good too!

Comment

Thank you SQ Queen for that info. And as a 747 fan, I'll try not to get offended about the seats...lol!!! I may take a trip to Malaysia from UK in April, and based on this change, I may end up taking the SQ25 flight from FRA, if the 747 is still there for that flight in April, instead of taking SQ319 from LHR. I know, sounds weird, but just wanna take this plane as much as I can before they are all gone!!

Going back to the topic, If I had to pick between the two, I'd pick the 777 flight, only because it is cheaper now, and also because I've been on it, and am more comfortable taking planes I've been on if the journey is longer than 5 hrs, assuming seats are the same. I'll probably try A380 on a Hong Kong trip before trying LHR.

Comment

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                  I'm checking tickets for April, May, and June at singaporeair.com, and they're still showing 747-400 for SQ308. When will they update the webiste? Or is this change to 777 a temporary change?
                  Just chose a random date in May (May 20th 2009) and Expertflyer is showing the following:

SQ 317
                  LHR 20/05/09 11:55
                  SIN 21/05/09 7:45

SQ 319
                  LHR 20/05/09 18:30
                  SIN 21/05/09 14:20
                  77W

SQ 321
                  LHR 20/05/09 22:05
                  SIN 21/05/09 17:55

------------------------

SQ 308
                  SIN 20/05/09 9:05
                  LHR 20/05/09 15:30
                  77W

SQ 318
                  SIN 20/05/09 12:45
                  LHR 20/05/09 19:10

SQ 322
                  SIN 20/05/09 23:30
                  LHR 21/05/09 5:55

But to the OP (ie SQ Queen) I have not flown on the A380, but I have on the 77W. While I do have my father's genes, in that when its time to sleep, yeah I'm out like a light anywhere and everywhere lol, I COULD survive on the 77W going to SIN, but would take the 380 just for the fun of it lol...however on the return flight (ie back to LHR) I am assuming you have to clear customs and immigration regardless if you are in transit or not eh (never flown to LHR before), in that case I would take the 77W (smaller numbers) - again assuming that both flights are full - but i dont think the return flight is a problem eh?
                  I'm still waiting for my cookie as my first name is Kris

Comment

The Y on the UD of the 388 can get rather choppy during turbulence. On one of my flights, it was so choppy when the aircraft was on finals that this guy ran to one of the lavs after touchdown before the 388 cleared the runway.

If you want to sleep, fly the 388. The GE90-115Bs are noisy!
                    I hope you mean noisy in a good way

Comment

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                      Permanent till it can be upgauged by the 388.

Comment

Originally posted by hofo_mofo View Post
                        J

But to the OP (ie SQ Queen) I have not flown on the A380, but I have on the 77W. While I do have my father's genes, in that when its time to sleep, yeah I'm out like a light anywhere and everywhere lol, I COULD survive on the 77W going to SIN, but would take the 380 just for the fun of it lol...however on the return flight (ie back to LHR) I am assuming you have to clear customs and immigration regardless if you are in transit or not eh (never flown to LHR before), in that case I would take the 77W (smaller numbers) - again assuming that both flights are full - but i dont think the return flight is a problem eh?

Actually, I am taking the 380 on the CDG sector in June but will be returning via LHR with the 77W.
                        So I do get the benefit of comparing.
                        Ambient noise is never an issue for sleep for me... heck, I managed to sleep quite blissfully on the sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiangmai but my partner ended up with a splitting headache the next morning.

I am more concerned about how I will be spoilt by the supposed quietness of the 380 cabin - the point of no return!!

Comment

I wouldn't worry TOO much....

I had heard all sorts of stories about just how quiet is was before my first trip on the 380 in Feb 2008... so of course I expected pretty much absolute silence!

Quieter... yes. THAT quiet.. well... no.

Comment

You mustn't really be a big fan of premium redemptions on the LHR route, eh?
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by trooper View Post
                              I wouldn't worry TOO much....

I had heard all sorts of stories about just how quiet is was before my first trip on the 380 in Feb 2008... so of course I expected pretty much absolute silence!

Quieter... yes. THAT quiet.. well... no.
                              I thought I would be able to pick up pins dropping... like in a sound-proof facility... thanks for managing those expectations of mine

Comment

That's because the Emirates crew rest area is in the centre section of the rear main deck cabin, surrounded by Y class seats on either side, and with doors that look to the untrained eye to be not dissimilar to lavatory doors!

If EK wanted its pilots to have undisturbed sleep they should have put the crew rest somewhere else...
                                How about for SQ, where is the crew rest area located?

Comment

Working...
                                X