Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do SQ and the Singapore Tourist Board speak to each other ?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do SQ and the Singapore Tourist Board speak to each other ?.

You would have to think they either don't, or they don't get on.

Last month I was reading in the Straits Times yet another article about the declining number of visitors to Singapore, the loss of $$$ to the economy as a result of this etc and plans to try and reverse this. One of the main recommendations was to try and increase stopover visitors from numerous countries who transit through Changi, one of which was the UK. Great idea. Granted you don't have to be Einstein to come up with it, but at least they are trying to do something about it.

Bearing this in mind, why have SQ just sent an email out today advertising 'Great fares' from the UK to various destinations in the Asia Pacific region, yet the first restriction listed under Terms and Conditions is ; no stopover in SIN.

hmm.. well SQ is a private entity (although 55% of it is owned by the investment arm of the Singapore government, Temasek).

I would see it as the Singapore Tourism Board would see SQ as a customer that could bring more visitor arrivals (as that is in in its interests) but SQ would be fee to come up with any packages it wants in its interests.

I doubt SQ has bringing passengers to Singapore as its primary interests. They're not owned by the state although they're the national carrier.

That's how I see it.

Comment

I agree it seems a daft waste of an opportunity for the greater Singapore economy at a time when every visitor counts. Did you notice the buy now link is not to singaporeair.com? I initially thought this was someone's phishing expedition. It does redirect to singaporeair.com, but perhaps not the best idea.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        Bearing this in mind, why have SQ just sent an email out today advertising 'Great fares' from the UK to various destinations in the Asia Pacific region, yet the first restriction listed under Terms and Conditions is ; no stopover in SIN.
        That's similar to CX's practice for its promotional Business Class fares (ex-TPE). No stopover in Hong Kong for most of the fares.

Comment

SIN is a HIP for the promotional fare.

Comment

All valid points which I agree with, but a bit of joined up thinking at a time like this surely wouldn't go amiss.

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
              That's similar to CX's practice for its promotional Business Class fares (ex-TPE). No stopover in Hong Kong for most of the fares.
              Also like NH's Singapore to New York via NRT promotional fare currently taking place. No stopover in Tokyo.

Frankly, the Singapore Stopover Holiday thing needs more advertising abroad to really create awareness. Just about all of my friends/ex-classmates etc that travel regionally have never heard of it, and said they'd actually consider flying SQ if enroute, for example TPE-SIN-BKK, if it was free. They just didn't know at all that it existed... so they would end up booking BR or another airline.

Of course it means that they give SQ due consideration next time now..

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

Frankly, the Singapore Stopover Holiday thing needs more advertising abroad to really create awareness.
                In fairness it is quite well known in the UK and quite well used apparently. Even though they recently increased the rates for stopovers. The fact that most of the ex-UK pax are on long trips to Australia and New Zealand so a break is more appealing obviously helps.

All the more reason why I can't understand why they don't work together on this at the moment. The drop in the value of the Gordon Brown Peso against the SGD won't help at the moment either.

Comment

Ditto ex Oz & NZ. SIN stopover is no longer good value.

Comment

SIA launches package tour promotions

Includes ex-SIN offers, as well as free one-night stay for visitors TO Singapore.

http://www.singaporeair.com/mediacen...J!9442419!NONE

Comment

Looks like somebody finally picked up the phone.

Comment

Working...
                      X