Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-jaw woes

Hi,

First post - and first experience of SQ, but not great so far! Myself and a colleague are travelling to Melbourne in March for a conference, so decided LHR-MEL via SIN on the A380 would be fun. I have a sister in Darwin, so am taking the opportunity to visit her and thought it would be easier to make my own way back to SIN fom Darwin afterwards (rather than travel back to MEL) and take the A380 back SIN-LHR. Return price LHR-MEL is ~£800 and on Saturday, when I used the multi-city booker on the SQ website, the price for my LHR-MEL SIN-LHR open-jaw was ~£760.

I went to book the open-jaw today and the multi-city now doesn't work! I can see the flights and select them, but when I click 'continue' I get the dreaded:

"Sorry, our system is unable to price your itinerary. Please change your flight or try a different date. If the problem persists, please contact your local Singapore Airlines reservations office for assistance."

But it worked a couple of days ago! I tried loads of other combinations and kept getting the same error - even for totally different open-jaw combinations.

So I rang the UK customer services number and the very unhelpful lady told me that it wasn't possible to book open-jaw itineraries online, and my only option was to book two single fares. Problem is, this would cost ~£1,600!!

Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences? Why should the open-jaw, which is basically one leg less than the corresponding return flight, be so much more expensive and so difficult to book? Or is the system just temporarily broken?

Originally posted by monker1980 View Post
    Why should the open-jaw, which is basically one leg less than the corresponding return flight, be so much more expensive and so difficult to book? Or is the system just temporarily broken?
    I can't comment on the booking difficulty bit, but the reason why the fare could be so much more expensive can be because of there are point of sale restrictions - the LHR-MEL-LHR fare you're getting may be sold in a booking code and fare that is not available ex SIN-LHR segment alone, which then sectorizes the fare into a one way LHR-MEL and a SIN-LHR.

It could also be that open jaws are indeed allowed, but that the higher of the two cities serves as the fare to use (in this case, i don't think it's likely though)

And welcome to SQTalk

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty new to multi-segment long haul flight booking, so am a bit ignorant when it comes to booking/fare codes - but trying to learn! I think I understand what you've said SQflyergirl, seems to me that flight pricing is a bit like black magic!

The stopover/multi-city part of the website is actually down at the moment, so here's hoping it was just a technical issue that's being resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by monker1980 View Post
        . . . on Saturday, when I used the multi-city booker on the SQ website, the price for my LHR-MEL SIN-LHR open-jaw was ~£760.

I went to book the open-jaw today and the multi-city now doesn't work! I can see the flights and select them, but when I click 'continue' I get the dreaded:

"Sorry, our system is unable to price your itinerary. Please change your flight or try a different date. If the problem persists, please contact your local Singapore Airlines reservations office for assistance."

But it worked a couple of days ago! I tried loads of other combinations and kept getting the same error - even for totally different open-jaw combinations. . . . Or is the system just temporarily broken?
        Similar situation happening to me. Was able to price out a multi-city booking a few days ago, but today I'm getting a message that "Please note that Multi-City/ Open Jaw booking is currently not available because of technical difficulties. Please try again later . . . "

Temporary system problem.

Comment

Panic over - open jaw booked online for a measly £762

Internet open-jaw/mulit-city booking now working again!

Comment

Working...
          X