Going the US way…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going the US way…

Very cheeky title of course SQ isn’t quite that bad but today a pet peeves of yore, when I used to travel extensively on various US airlines – staff travel.

Was in C sat next to a repositioning first officer – he gets bumped into FC whilst a lower ranked colleague takes his seat….

I was actually quite annoyed – surely a repositioning pilot can stay in C and a QPP/TPP could have been upgraded to FC to free the seat… of course there is a rank issue here but frankly shouldn’t the people paying their wages benefit from extra comfort rather than staff?

Not impressed…

Surely this is just the usual situation with SQ and some other airlines, i.e. you'll only get upgraded if it's operationally necessary ?

In your case, presumably J wasn't oversold so there was no reason to upgrade pax from what they'd paid for (and no reason why SQ shouldn't in the meantime put staff in empty seats in J/F).

Comment

Agreed with jhm.

All these staff benefits are all negotiated beforehand as part of staff welfare and benefits. Its not part of SQ's policy to upgrade passengers when there are still seats in J class, unless operationally neccesary.

We just need to search the forum to see examples of negotiated benefits between the pilots and SQ which made headlines. But of course we dont see the full details regarding duty travel arrangements.

J777

Comment

Yup, agree with jhm.
        Upgrading only happens when operationally necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post

All these staff benefits are all negotiated beforehand as part of staff welfare and benefits. Its not part of SQ's policy to upgrade passengers when there are still seats in J class, unless operationally neccesary.

J777
          Don't disagree but precisely - how do you define "operationally necessary"? They needed to seat 2 pilots... isn't that an operational necessity?

Comment

Additionally, I'd have to say that I'd rather have a fully rested and relaxed first officer who brings me safely to my destination than just another spoiled TPP who does nothing for me and gets what he paid for anyway upgraded to a flat bed. Oops did I just say that out loud ... sorry but I am happy it happens this way.
            Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by EdB View Post
              Don't disagree but precisely - how do you define "operationally necessary"?
              If they overbooked C/J.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                Additionally, I'd have to say that I'd rather have a fully rested and relaxed first officer who brings me safely to my destination than just another spoiled TPP who does nothing for me and gets what he paid for anyway upgraded to a flat bed. Oops did I just say that out loud ... sorry but I am happy it happens this way.
                Okay, but not all TPPs are spoiled 'kay?

Comment

hehe sorry for my harsh words ... I did not mean to say that TPPs are spoiled whatsoever! What I definitely wanted to express was that people should be more happy with what they have ... envy makes people unhappy in the long term. (Sure, I also want to fly C and F and I am a bit envious that other people do what I want but still, I accept my situation and don't look back in grief or anger). Being really pissed off at something that I would open a thread about a situation where I couldn't do anything anyway is like classic PITA behaviour to me ... and I know I also expressed my anger with things often but I am way over this now. You get what you deserve / pay for anyway. Trying to get better is good but being annoyed is overdoing it to me.

What I meant was that the OP should not be angry or annoyed about this matter. It's in his best interest that the man who gets his plane down safely gets all the priorities in order to assure him an optimal rest. Imagine a 1st officer sleeping in a sloped SpaceBed only catching 1 instead of 2 hours of sleep he could have had downstairs. I'd say that the guy who basically has his hands on my life gets treated best so that he can perform at his best when it's necessary - regardless of "rank", "status", "class" or other expressions our club-loving society has
                  Last edited by flo; 25 November 2008, 01:16 AM.
                  Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Hope my post here is clearing up things tiny bit, for the OP at least.
                      As far as I know, the pilots have the agreement to be in F when it's available. Perhaps in your flight, the F was fully booked when the pilot checked-in. Then when there was a seat available, the staff moved the pilot to F.
                      I personally would not complain or expect to be the one who gets upgraded since I know the pilot has its own agreement with SQ. After all, after flying too many F long haul flights with a pilot as a pax, I really don't mind at all. The pilots were always cordial, polite, not pita. And yes, they respect other F pax. I have seen how other pilots in other airlines would chat away in F or bring along the friends and family in F. But I don't see that happening on SQ. Thanks God.

Regarding op-up in general, yes, SQ is infamous for rarely giving op-up, unless it's very overbooked. From the past years being on SQ, I got an op-up only once. Yes, there is a thread about how many op-up we had so far... I do always think I get what I pay for it. So if I am booked in C, I don't expect to get an op-up to F. Even when I was in Y, I don't expect to get op-up in C. If I wanted to be in C that time, I would just use my miles to upgrade.
                      Anyway, happy flying!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                        got an op-up only once.
                        Of course, being op-up'ed depends on whether (i) it's operationally necessary; and (a problem for others but not me) (ii) you're in a cabin from which it's actually possible to upgrade.

Comment

Easy ladies!

Actually let me correct my own post - I think I've become way too jaded and negative about SQ - I'm consistently disappointed (their arrogance really gets me) and that was just one more element which in fairness I don't really even care about (and I'm not a PITA PPS, trust me)...

It’s a petty sad statement – totally agree with the need to be grateful about what one has and enjoys – 100% with that mindset.

I don’t really see SQ improving away from the penny pinching current scenario (foolish of course to have created so much resent and shifting loyalties) and I’m now in any case getting to 25K and then spreading the spend to enjoy more varied travel experiences…

Peace out!

Comment

Not to worry EdB.
                            SQTalk is a place to exchange and share experiences on SQ. Difference of opinions are to be expected and is normal.

It does seem like SQ's customer goodwill has become thinner and thinner with the current management with the changes made. Some have voted with their wallets and fly other airlines, some just maintain PPS then fly other airlines, or even fly the alternatives entirely.

Back to the topic, though, for me it is not something that I would be mad to them about. As SQ LPP said, it is part of their employment benefits.

Comment

Working...
                            X