X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump...

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/ne....php?id=460620

"SIA Has No Plan To Stop Singapore-Kuala Lumpur Route"

No, just to halve the number of flights...

Comment

phew.. when I initially saw the title I thought MI was taking over all the KL flights. Would take MH over MI anytime if that actually happened.

Comment

Phew what a relief. I guess the KUL-SIN is a bit "too good" too drop?

Comment

I'm more of the opinion that it's operational necessity for the national carrier to fly to the country it has served since birth. Let's also not forget that SQ didn't magically come into existence but was at first Malayan Airways. You can imagine the outrage Malaysians would make if SQ ever stopped flying this route and (perhaps to a lesser extent), if MH were to stop flying to SIN.

There's a lot of nationalistic pride/symbolism btw the SIN-KUL carriers. I'd also imagine *A needs to serve KUL in an obvious fashion instead of asking everyone to go via LH ex BKK.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            I'm more of the opinion that it's operational necessity for the national carrier to fly to the country it has served since birth. Let's also not forget that SQ didn't magically come into existence but was at first Malayan Airways. You can imagine the outrage Malaysians would make if SQ ever stopped flying this route and (perhaps to a lesser extent), if MH were to stop flying to SIN.
            SQ are still flying to KUL, for now, but if they didn't then it clearly wouldn't be an 'operational necessity'. It may be an emotional necessity, for some , but while you can justifiably call SQ many things, sentimental is not usually one of them.

I don't quite understand where you think there would be 'outrage' from Malaysians if SQ stopped flying to KUL. Quite the opposite in some quarters, where I think there would be delight. Many in Malaysia don't like the way SQ are in a completely different league to MH and have left them trailing. These people would be delighted to see SQ leave the KUL route.

I do agree however that Malaysians would be non-plussed if MH stopped flying the route.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
              SQ are still flying to KUL, for now, but if they didn't then it clearly wouldn't be an 'operational necessity'. It may be an emotional necessity, for some , but while you can justifiably call SQ many things, sentimental is not usually one of them.

I don't quite understand where you think there would be 'outrage' from Malaysians if SQ stopped flying to KUL. Quite the opposite in some quarters, where I think there would be delight. Many in Malaysia don't like the way SQ are in a completely different league to MH and have left them trailing. These people would be delighted to see SQ leave the KUL route.

I do agree however that Malaysians would be non-plussed if MH stopped flying the route.
              Other than sentimental reasons, they would also continue flying to KL for "cargo" reasons. At the moment, no regular commercial wide body or cargo carrier flies to KL on a regular basis. So all cargo due for KL is put on the SQ flights. MH used to fly an early morning and late evening A330 for this reason even though their pax load could easily been handled by the 737.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                Other than sentimental reasons, they would also continue flying to KL for "cargo" reasons. At the moment, no regular commercial wide body or cargo carrier flies to KL on a regular basis. So all cargo due for KL is put on the SQ flights. MH used to fly an early morning and late evening A330 for this reason even though their pax load could easily been handled by the 737.
                At 200 miles apart I am not sure there is a need to fly too much cargo when it can easily go by road.

Talking of the MH flights to SIN, aren't they all on 734's now ?.

Comment

At 200 miles apart I am not sure there is a need to fly too much cargo when it can easily go by road.

Talking of the MH flights to SIN, aren't they all on 734's now ?.
                  No, there's an early morning 772 (and a late night one too) I think.

Comment

Not so for time sensitive items such as perishables and high security items.
                    Nope, not anymore. The 772s came in for a month or so and it's now 100% 734s.

Comment

Not so for time sensitive items such as perishables and high security items.
                      I'd love to know what would perish during a 200 mile road journey but wouldn't if it flew, including to an airport 60km from the city, but I think we are going a bit OT here.

Comment

I'd love to know what would perish during a 200 mile road journey but wouldn't if it flew, including to an airport 60km from the city, but I think we are going a bit OT here.
                        Flowers could be one. I've seen pallets of cargo coming out of this flights from KUL. The difference in travel times between road and air is a good 6 - 7 hours at its best.

Comment

Flowers could be one. I've seen pallets of cargo coming out of this flights from KUL. The difference in travel times between road and air is a good 6 - 7 hours at its best.

I see a slight lack of understanding of how freight is moved, in all it's forms and the times required, but as I said above, we'll not go any further OT.

Comment

hmm just had a call from SIA today that my booking on SQ109 KUL - SIN on March 20 will now be SQ5315 operated by Silk Air. same departure and arrival time.

My connecting flight from SIN to KUL on March 5 remains a SQ flight

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                              Should be majority 734 and one A333 with the occassional 772 as syb

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                                Should be majority 734 and one A333 with the occassional 772 as sub

Comment

Working...
                                X