X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First SQ Experience

Newbie alert!

Hi guys.

On October 7th I'm flying from Heathrow to Perth WA to visit family and it will be my first ever Singapore Airlines experience. The last time I went I flew with Emirates but this was about 5 years ago and I was accompanied by my father. When I fly next month I will be really quite nervous about flying alone so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what happens during transit at Changi as I have no memory of the sort of thing that happened at Dubai. Is my baggage automatically transferred to my next flight and do I have to pick up a new boarding pass? I do apologise for these silly questions btw.

Other than that, what can I expect from SIA? I read on my booking confirmation that I will be flying on the new A380 which is really exciting but I have read that SIA is a fantastic carrier anyhow. I read through some of the A380 trip reports and I can't wait to experience it!

Thanks for reading,
    Lee

Baggage will be through tagged to Perth.
    Both boarding passes will be issued at Heathrow.

Transit in Singapore will be easy - just off the plane, walk to the gate for the Perth flight, clear security and board.
    zxcvbn

Comment

Thank you very much!

Sounds simple then, I no longer worry!

I'll get back to you all with a trip report shortly after!

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
        Baggage will be through tagged to Perth.
        Both boarding passes will be issued at Heathrow.

Transit in Singapore will be easy - just off the plane, walk to the gate for the Perth flight, clear security and board.
        My dear,
        In a certain condition, it would be simple like that. But let's say the connection time in SIN in 12 hours, the OP can not just walk to the gate. He/she will get panicked when not seeing the gate for Perth.
        Anyhow, for the OP, would you mind to give us more idea about these?

1. I see that you are based in Birmingham. Are you connecting at LHR? Or, you will start the journey from LHR?

2. Please let us know your flights. Which flight are you taking from LHR? And which flight are you booked for PER. The reason is if you only have one or two hour connection at SIN, the advise posted above (walk to the gate) would be fine.

Hope I don't make things complicated for you. But just love to have more information. Thus better advice given.
        And, of course, not to forget, Wlecome To SQTalk.

Comment

What cabin?

If in Economy the Upper deck is a nicer place to be IMO....

If in Biz (or Suites!!) then..... ENJOY!!!!

My first SQ flight was on the 380 SYD-SIN.... Excellent flight given that we were in Y.... Attentive staff, decent food, seats quite comfortable.. and cleverly designed in some ways...... Folks tell me the IFE is very good (I read books instead generally!)

Changi is what ALL airports should aim to be... I had never been there.. and had to transfer to a flight to BKK.. from a different terminal. No problem at all... I found the signage to be helpful - but there are also airport employees(?) on hand to help.. in my experience anyway!

Positive experience all round.... so much so that I have flown with SQ several times since then.... including in the new Biz class on the 77W.... WOW!!!

Want to do THAT again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
            1. I see that you are based in Birmingham. Are you connecting at LHR? Or, you will start the journey from LHR?
            Yeah, my journey begins at LHR. I will be staying with friends in London for a couple of nights before I leave.

2. Please let us know your flights. Which flight are you taking from LHR? And which flight are you booked for PER. The reason is if you only have one or two hour connection at SIN, the advise posted above (walk to the gate) would be fine.
            SQ317 LHR - SIN (Arrives: 07:45)
            SQ223 SIN - PER (Departs: 09:35)

So that means that I have just under two hours connection time.

Originally posted by trooper View Post
            What cabin?

If in Economy the Upper deck is a nicer place to be IMO....
            I couldn't secure an upper deck seat for my outbound flight but I have one reserved for my return flight! (Even though that isn't until May).

Comment

Originally posted by Leeward View Post
              Yeah, my journey begins at LHR. I will be staying with friends in London for a couple of nights before I leave.

I couldn't secure an upper deck seat for my outbound flight but I have one reserved for my return flight! (Even though that isn't until May).
              Thanks for the reply.
              You can do a 48 hours prior on-line check-in. Perhaps you can grab those seats upper deck (Yes, I know I rarely in Y, but I agree fro A380, upper deck is much preferable.)
              If this is failed, just go to LHR earlier, and check-in early. Request for upper deck.
              When you check-in, make sure your check-in bags are check through to PER. And since you are in the same PNR, you will get your BP for SIN-PER as well at LHR.

SQ317 LHR - SIN (Arrives: 07:45)
              SQ223 SIN - PER (Departs: 09:35)

So that means that I have just under two hours connection time.
              Two hours is plenty of time to have connection at Changi. What you can do once you are off at Changi, look at the Departure Gates Info. Your SQ223 to Perth will depart from which gate? Once you know your gate, you can monitor whether your flight is delaed or not. Give about 45 minutes prior (so about 08:50 or 08:45) when you need to head for your Gate.
              In the mean time, you can enjoy the new terminal T3 at Changi. Wlk around. Stretching. Window shopping. Or have some snacks/foods at the food court second floor. You can see some pictures in the T3 thread in Singapore/Changi forum.

Have a wonderful flight to down under.
              Happy flying!

Comment

Wow, thanks a lot SQ LPP!

Comment

You are welcome.
                  It's always a pleasure to help in any way.
                  I hope you enjoy the ride on A380.

Comment

Leeward, you can also consider having a shower at Changi to freshen up before your next segment. Makes flying more bearable.

Comment

Right, and where can I find this facility?

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                        Leeward, you can also consider having a shower at Changi to freshen up before your next segment. Makes flying more bearable.
                        It's an excellent idea! But looking at the first post by the OP, I made the assumption the OP is still very young. Thus, shower might be not the first priority. I remember when I was young, during connection, never crossed my mind to have shower. I would rather exploring Changi, or other airports where I happened to connect. The experience was worth more. (Especially I came from a small village and was still very very very shy and innocent. ) But of course, now, having a lounge access, I would try as best as I could to have a quick shower between flight connections, especially for long haul.

I think it should be somewhere with the sign Ambassador Transit Lounge (up the escalator). But may be others will have more precise info.

Comment

It's an excellent idea! But looking at the first post by the OP, I made the assumption the OP is still very young. Thus, shower might be not the first priority. I remember when I was young, during connection, never crossed my mind to have shower. I would rather exploring Changi, or other airports where I happened to connect. The experience was worth more. (Especially I came from a small village and was still very very very shy and innocent. ) But of course, now, having a lounge access, I would try as best as I could to have a quick shower between flight connections, especially for long haul.

I think it should be somewhere with the sign Ambassador Transit Lounge (up the escalator). But may be others will have more precise info.
                          Yes, good alternative point. When in new airport, I tend to wander, explore before heading to the lounge for 'refreshments' of all sorts. SQ LPP, You mean you are now old, very very confident and rampant? Ooh, better watch what I say otherwise I get reported.

You can use the showers in the one of the paid lounge upstairs from the arrivals/departure level. Just look for the signs for 'CIP Lounge' or ask one of the ladies in the numerous information kiosks in Changi T2. I am not familiar with other lounges in T3 other than SKL. Sorry.

Comment

... and was still very very very shy and innocent. ).
                            Yes, good alternative point. When in new airport, I tend to wander, explore before heading to the lounge for 'refreshments' of all sorts. SQ LPP, You mean you are now old, very very confident and rampant? Ooh, better watch what I say otherwise I get reported.
                            Look at my post carefully!
                            Now I am shy and innocent!

You can use the showers in the one of the paid lounge upstairs from the arrivals/departure level. Just look for the signs for 'CIP Lounge' or ask one of the ladies in the numerous information kiosks in Changi T2. I am not familiar with other lounges in T3 other than SKL. Sorry.
                            At Changi, when you say arrival, meaning you have to go through the immigration and customs. I must say it's not wise to go through immigration and customs. But yes, the info desk should be able to direct the OP where the shower facility is available at T3 prior to the flight to Perth.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN
                              At Changi, when you say arrival, meaning you have to go through the immigration and customs. I must say it's not wise to go through immigration and customs. But yes, the info desk should be able to direct the OP where the shower facility is available at T3 prior to the flight to Perth.
                              Just to be clear to the OP, I meant common arrivals and departure level (ie airside) Leeward, if you have time, go check out eh Changi website and look for the terminal maps. It will give you a better idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X