Cabin Baggage: violin allowed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin Baggage: violin allowed?

Is SQ strict on items you carry onboard?

On top of the 7kg, I'm hoping to be able to carry my violin onboard... Any chance?

i think the best answer is it depends on your luck. based on recent forum feedback, it seems that you have to be pretty unlucky to meet a weighing scale in the boarding lounge.

As for me, I have a special flight case with a padded front pocket which I use to carry my sax and my laptop around when I travel. Even though the combined weight of the entire kit as such is more than 7kg, i've never run into any trouble. I think eyes generally tend to be closed if you bring only one bag on board.

I'm not sure what case you use, but if i remember correctly violin cases are longish no?

Comment

Yes its longish.... I read that Delta allows instruments up to Guitars, free on board in addition to cabin baggage

Comment

Originally posted by cattwl View Post

On top of the 7kg, I'm hoping to be able to carry my violin onboard... Any chance?
        Welcome to SQTalk, cattwl.

Where are you flying from, in which cabin and do you have any status with SQ or *A ?.

As a QPP/TPP ex-Changi they have always been pretty lenient. Some out stations are a bit stricter but these are not SQ staff. We are living in a world of oil over USD 130 a barrel at the moment and weight matters so they may start to tighten up a bit.

Comment

I'm flying from SG on exec economy to LA. I'm not on SQ program...

Comment

I've done this many times on SQ so I do not think it'll be a problem. I usually carry a backpack and my viola (viola on top and backpack in the seat below).

Comment

I was plannning on adding a roll on to that. mmm....

Comment

Originally posted by cattwl View Post

Well i saw this in the SQ website....

Oversized Musical Instruments
                Oversized musical instruments can only be carried on-board the cabin if you purchase an extra seat to accommodate it. You can only book the seat for the instruments in the Economy Class and you must also travel in the same class.

Exception: You can travel in a different class of service as your musical instrument/s if you are traveling as a group, where other members of your traveling party are accompanying your musical instrument/s in Economy class.

Large musical items (e.g. Cello, Guitars, etc) must be placed on the floor and be properly secured by seats belts to the seat frame. At least 4 infant seat belts are required. First/Business class seats do not have accessible seat frame to secure the large instruments on the floor.
                The Maximum weight and dimension allowable is shown below.
                o Weight: 75 kg

o Dimension: Height – 61”

o Width: 19” (Based on armrest to armrest seat width)

NOTE: A Double Bass is not allowed on board as it exceeds the height limit set above.
                Although Guitars are normally less than 7kgs (within the cabin weight allowance), it may be considered as oversized due to its (dimensions) ; and may not be allowed in the cabin if no extra seat/s have been purchased for it. If you do not plan to purchase an extra seat, Guitars should be check-in and be packed in a suitable hard case to avoid damage.

Comment

Hello,

Link to the thread below may give you some additional visibility even though it does not pertain specifically to musical instruments.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4417

I would also call SQ customer service just to check........however be prepared as the call goes to somewhere in India and they will probably just read off the list of restrictions.....

Cheers.

Comment

I used to travel with my violin. I would say you will have no trouble. I have never seen any airline employee who did not become nicer when seeing you have a violin with you!

Willio_747, a violin is in no way an oversized instrument!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
                      I used to travel with my violin. I would say you will have no trouble. I have never seen any airline employee who did not become nicer when seeing you have a violin with you!

Chiming in to agree. My brother travelled with his violin to/fro US and never had any problems having that and his backpack.

Comment

I travelled 2 years ago from FRA to Shanghai with an orchestra of about 100 elements. People with large instruments had to check their instrument in and put them in special cases with special insulation against low temperatures. As long as I can remember all the violins were taken with no problem as hand luggage beside the normal bag/backpack etc...

Arrangements were done before the flight though to make sure there would be no problem at check-in / boarding. This is what I would suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post

cheeeesh.....i thought it might help...

Comment

The only airport we have encountered problems once is HKG.
                            You have to get a tag for the violin case when you check in.
                            We were turned back at CIQ on our way out of Hong Kong to get the tag

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X