SQ SFO check-in question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ SFO check-in question

Do we know how 'strict' check-in (wrt baggage weight/pieces) is in SFO?

Question 1: I have a piece weighing 23.1 kg and one weighing 24.4kg (limit is 23kg per piece). Do you think it'll be ok? And if not, do they charge you more or do they require you to lighten up the item?

Question 2: Can I check-in a third small piece? (even at extra cost?) [note: KF*S, flying J, so as I am not yet *G or PPS, cannot have the 20kg extra allowance]

Tks

From my previous experience, they don't really care if you are 0.1 kg over.. I've had one where it was a little over 24, they didn't even care. So, you should be fine there. But I can't guarantee, maybe the check-in lady I met was really nice and there are dragon-like check-in people I've heard... be prepared

q.2 I believe you can for an extra cost. I am not too sure though..

Comment

My bag on the A380 Singapore Sydney flight recently was 23Kg and they didnt worry about the extra weight either (may just depend on the check in person you get though)...

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
        Question 1: I have a piece weighing 23.1 kg and one weighing 24.4kg (limit is 23kg per piece). Do you think it'll be ok? And if not, do they charge you more or do they require you to lighten up the item?
        Last year I had this issue in Singapore (towards SFO): at that point the limit was 32kg (wow!) and one piece was 33.5kg. They made me unpack that luggage and remove 1.5kg and store it in a cardboard box (which they provided). I only had one piece of luggage, so there was no extra cost involved. But I think it was the most ridiculous thing that ever happened to me at the airport. Ehm, yes, and it was a FirstClass ticket... I still have a picture of this cardboard box plastered with priority and First Class stickers...

I know that certain countries (e.g. UK, Australia) strictly enforce the 32kg rule (for work safety), but this is not true for the US. In fact in US domestic flights I have more luggage than in SQ (even with a first class ticket). This thing is an Singapore Airlines exclusive.

Markus

Comment

Originally posted by mmm View Post
          Last year I had this issue in Singapore (towards SFO): at that point the limit was 32kg (wow!) and one piece was 33.5kg. They made me unpack that luggage and remove 1.5kg and store it in a cardboard box (which they provided). I only had one piece of luggage, so there was no extra cost involved. But I think it was the most ridiculous thing that ever happened to me at the airport. Ehm, yes, and it was a FirstClass ticket... I still have a picture of this cardboard box plastered with priority and First Class stickers...

I know that certain countries (e.g. UK, Australia) strictly enforce the 32kg rule (for work safety), but this is not true for the US. In fact in US domestic flights I have more luggage than in SQ (even with a first class ticket). This thing is an Singapore Airlines exclusive.

Markus
          You are kidding right? SQ is infinitely more lenient about baggage weight limits than US carriers. US carriers enforce the rule religiously. At least SQ provided you with a box. US carriers would have told you to throw stuff away or find another bag (which they would have then charged you for having more than 1 checked piece).

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
            SQ is infinitely more lenient about baggage weight limits than US carriers. US carriers enforce the rule religiously.
            I also think SQ is more lenient on baggage limits compared to almost all other carriers in general, and I have personal experience (in Y).

But in the U.S. things may be slightly different, plus that we shouldn't forget the fact that with the fuel rising costs the check-in agents may get (at any time) directions to be stricter on this issue.

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
              US carriers would have told you to throw stuff away or find another bag (which they would have then charged you for having more than 1 checked piece).
              This also happened to someone I know on EVA the other week... They charged $25 per box.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
              X