A380: why not to LAX ahead of SFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A380: why not to LAX ahead of SFO

Back to the A380 to LAX question... Since Qantas said they will be the first to fly to LAX when they eventually get a plane, what is the possibility of SQ wanting to fly to LAX before Qantas? Does SQ have any right to do that, if they so wish to fly to LAX?
    The more I think about it, the angrier I get because it is making less and less sense to me now that they will cut Y seats before an A380 is introduced. Doesn't the sudden loss of 372 Y seats (255+117) per day BOTHER them at all?

Originally posted by Tanandika View Post
    Back to the A380 to LAX question... Since Qantas said they will be the first to fly to LAX when they eventually get a plane, what is the possibility of SQ wanting to fly to LAX before Qantas? Does SQ have any right to do that, if they so wish to fly to LAX?
    it's an interesting point. Have a read of this NY Times article though:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/15/bu...sA&oref=slogin

Anyway, I would have thought the SQ A380 to LAX rumours would have been dashed when SQ announced Narita Services on SQ638/637, rather than SQ 11/12 (SIN-NRT-LAX), which it could have done with the deliveries of SKD and SKE.

I think we can accept this as the inevitable - SKE and SKF is going to make SQ 1/2 (SIN-HKG-SFO) A380

One other argument I did allude to in previous posts was that I think this A380 route battle between SQ, QF and EK is like a massive chess game of establishing brand presence.

The moment SQ decided on SYD and LHR, Emirates took JFK. QF settled for MEL-LAX, SQ then took NRT, and jumped on the Olympics wagon to take PEK.

Given SQ's route network at the moment, it seems almost sensible to take HKG and an American city next, one that SQ 1/2 is well placed to achieve.

If it can claim the whole of both HKG and SFO markets, why go to LAX and settle for a split market share with QF?

as to whether SQ has a right to take LAX before QF - it certainly could do so. anything goes in the cutthroat world of aviation. BUT, i don't think its going to help SQ get SIN-AUS-USA anytime soon. Theeeeeenk Beeeeeg Peeeektureee. heh

The more I think about it, the angrier I get because it is making less and less sense to me now that they will cut Y seats before an A380 is introduced. Doesn't the sudden loss of 372 Y seats (255+117) per day BOTHER them at all?
    well, i'm sure the SQ number crunchers have done their maths. They're probably hoping that the suspension of 25/26 will direct LAXpax onto 11/12.

all the hallmarks of a network rationalisation imo.

anyway - in true SQ style, the loss of 372 Y seats can be easily offset by earnings (or reduction of costs) on other revenue streams
    Last edited by kelvgoh; 13 May 2008, 06:49 AM.

Comment

FWIW, a couple of the old hands at PPS Paragon seemed to think that the A380 goes to LAX before SFO...

Comment

At the A380 launch party in Tokyo last month, I asked a SQ manager if A380 will fly NRT-LAX soon. He said it's not likely, due to something about the A380 being counted as 1.25 (vs 1 for 747) and that would exceed their jumbo quota. It wasn't a full explanation, and I didn't have a chance to ask him to elaborate.

He did say that SIN-HKG-SFO will have the A380 but not until late (or after) Q1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by sfvoyage View Post
          At the A380 launch party in Tokyo last month, I asked a SQ manager if A380 will fly NRT-LAX soon. He said it's not likely, due to something about the A380 being counted as 1.25 (vs 1 for 747) and that would exceed their jumbo quota. It wasn't a full explanation, and I didn't have a chance to ask him to elaborate.

He did say that SIN-HKG-SFO will have the A380 but not until late (or after) Q1 2009.
          Maybe this is why they are cutting the TPE-LAX sector to free up the slot for the A380.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanandika View Post
            Doesn't the sudden loss of 372 Y seats (255+117) per day BOTHER them at all?
            Does a huge increase is RASM bother SQ? Probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
              Maybe this is why they are cutting the TPE-LAX sector to free up the slot for the A380.
              I think sfvoyage was talking about slot at NRT. TPE-LAX flight has nothing to do with NRT.

Comment

Originally posted by sfvoyage View Post

is he infering here that more LHR/SYD flts get the A380 before HKG-SFO?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ forever View Post
                  I hope that doesn't mean we have to wait for 9V-SKG & 9V-SKH in Jan. 2009 for the switch on SQ 1 & 2

Comment

Let me remind everyone that everything said here about LAX and SFO and the next 380 routes is still purely conjectural.

SQ has the absolute right to deploy it on double daily runs to Upper Volta if they so choose.

I suspect we might be in for more changes to the plan (as we imagined it to be) in the coming weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      SQ has the absolute right to deploy it on double daily runs to Upper Volta if they so choose.
                      Burkina Faso...

I would so be up for the inaugural A380 SIN-Ouagadougou (OUA)...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                        Burkina Faso...

I would so be up for the inaugural A380 SIN-Ouagadougou (OUA)...
                        Do they have proper airports there with proper facilities? If they do, I'd love to join you!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ forever View Post
                          The SQ manager didn't say anything to that effect. I didn't ask him why he thought SFO wouldn't get the A380 sooner; I just assumed he was building in extra time in case of delays. But who knows?

Comment

I'd figure that since SFO has been 380 ready since the new Int'l Terminal opened and since SQ1/2 always seems to be full, it would make the most sense.

Comment

Working...
                            X