Singapore Airlines Launches A380 Ops To Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
    Hence with the phasing out of the Megatop, we'd see 866/865 down to regionl birds till the A330s come into services?

The first A333s will arrive in early 2009. Where exactly SQ intends to deploy them is still unknown. What I do know though is that if they configure it in 3 classes, it will seat just above 220 passengers. If they go for a two class config, they can probably bump it up to slightly below 250.

On those figures it probably isn't a direct swap for 866/865. 773s, on capacity alone, work better for SQ on this routing. What we'll probably see is a rationalisation of equipment on all HKG routes, given the multiple times where SQ have chosen to do an equipment swap on the 77W and 747 flights.

I've put my money on SQ 1/2 going A380, and based on SQ's fleet plans, I don't see any other realistic plans for 866/5.

That being said, its going to take a massive set of Megatop departures during 09/10 to force SQ to permanently switch 866/865 to regional birds. I don't foresee that many withdrawals to force SQ into that crunch choice.
    Last edited by kelvgoh; 8 May 2008, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
      Temporary service. interesting.

i hear whispers of "SIN-HKG-SFO, SIN-HKG-SFO" going around now. I'm taking a long punt here but anyone ticketed on SQ 1/2 (add: at the tail-end of the year) should be very happy with the PEK announcement.

technically, SFO would have to wait till SKE and SKF arrive anyway.
      Yes and no. I'm booked this Sept. and Jan. of next year, so I maybe safe for Jan. but maybe I should see if I can push back my Sept. trip a week or two... just as added insurance.

The PEK move was highly speculated and expected, and I hope SQ 1/2 proves to be true also.

So the Whalejet serves PEK for just a week, whoa.. I would of thought it would of served abit longer.. like the duration of the games.

Would be nice to see a flyby over the stadium.... ( never happen I know)

Comment

the A333s if 2 classes can go up to 260 to 270 pax as SQ EY pitch is only 32"

Comment

The first A333s will arrive in early 2009.
          That's now looking like it may be Q4 2008. I'm looking forward to seeing the new regional C seats. Of course, I'm also curious about the configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
            That's now looking like it may be Q4 2008. I'm looking forward to seeing the new regional C seats. Of course, I'm also curious about the configuration.
            What are the chances that SQ doesn't introduce a new regional C seats?
            We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
              What are the chances that SQ doesn't introduce a new regional C seats?
              I think very slim. The most compelling reason is weight. The Ultimo seats are quite heavy compared to the new long-haul C seats.

Comment

Sorry I haven't been following up on this, but, will SQ install regional and long haul products into their A350/B787 fleet?
                zxcvbn

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                  I think very slim. The most compelling reason is weight. The Ultimo seats are quite heavy compared to the new long-haul C seats.
                  What about the SpaceBeds? Can't they just fit the new short haul flights with those?

Comment

Originally posted by Tanandika View Post
                    What about the SpaceBeds? Can't they just fit the new short haul flights with those?
                    I think i've come across a comment somewhere in this column that made a lot of sense. why install a fully reclining seat in an aircraft that is likely to spend most of its time on short routes. I don't think people sleep very much on a 3 - 4 hour long flight.

might as well use the space saved to fit more biz class seats in. If they're lighter than previous designs, all the better, save fuel. after all, this policy is what SQ seems to believe works for them.

Comment

The SpaceBeds are heavy, much heavier than the new long-haul C seats.

Comment

I think i've come across a comment somewhere in this column that made a lot of sense. why install a fully reclining seat in an aircraft that is likely to spend most of its time on short routes. I don't think people sleep very much on a 3 - 4 hour long flight.
                        If SQ were to offer something less than the SpaceBeds, New Business Class seats, don't you think that it will seem (for an average person like me anyway) like SQ have gone "downhill" instead of seeing a steady improvement? I mean.. reclining seat improvement to lie-flat seats, further improvement to flat-bed seats.... next generation: back to something not as "posh" as the SpaceBeds?!

Comment

If SQ were to offer something less than the SpaceBeds, New Business Class seats, don't you think that it will seem (for an average person like me anyway) like SQ have gone "downhill" instead of seeing a steady improvement? I mean.. reclining seat improvement to lie-flat seats, further improvement to flat-bed seats.... next generation: back to something not as "posh" as the SpaceBeds?!
                          New regional seats should be compared to the current Ultimo seats, not to the long-haul seats. I expect the main objectives will be weight and IFE.

Comment

Apparently some of the regional 773's could be getting the new JCL flat seats.

Can't see them refitting any birds with SpaceBeds. As stated they are heavy and in the current fuel price climate that's a big problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

Can't see them refitting any birds with SpaceBeds. As stated they are heavy and in the current fuel price climate that's a big problem.
                              If that's the case, 9V-SYI/J/K/L are the most likely candidates the oldest being 4 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                                It would make much more sense to refit the newer 777-200ERs with the new seats.

Comment

Working...
                                X