Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing planes from 744 to 77W at airport on award ticket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing planes from 744 to 77W at airport on award ticket?

Hi there.
    I am heading off to SE Asia this summer for a bit of a getaway and ave redeemed miles for the following itinery:

MAN-FRA-SIN-HKG: LH C (MAN-FRA) and SQ F

HKG-BKK-SIN-LHR: TG F, LX F and SQ F

I am really looking forwards to travelling SQ F as I have never travelled in it before and have heard so many good stories and read so many good TR's.
    I really like the loook of SQ's new F although as it was an award ticket I couldn't book into F cabin on the 77W. I am travelling the Skysuite on the way home but would love to be able to fly the new F on the 77W on the way out.
    If I were to ask the check-in staff at FRA if I could fly the later 77W instead what do you reckon is the chance that they would allow this and simply change my flight details (provided they had space in F of course)?? I am staying in singapore for a few days on the outwards journey so it wouldn't affect any of my onwards flights.

Thanks
    Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

If you ask me, 0%.

Comment

Sounds like a bmi Diamond Club award ticket

Probabilities aside (that being very low), if I were in your position and I was going for that, what I'd do was the check the availability of SQ0862 in F on the date you were travelling. If it's a bit bare (demand in F on that flight varies), then I would ask the check-in agent in MAN to check you to SIN only and then collect your baggage and ask a duty manager in SIN regarding your SINHKG flight.

Again, it's not very likely but it's a way of having a potshot at it.

Comment

Yes booked with DC miles to get rid before the dreaded takeover and possible death of DC How can you tell?

Anyway that sounds like a good idea to me. I shouldn't be so picky on an award ticket, especially after being lucky enough to get an SQ F award Unfortunately though I have been captivated by the wonders of the new F class advertising. I'l still be cheeky and ask for the flight change but like you say maybe it would be a better idea to chance it on the shorter SIN-HKG route. Thanks for the advice
        Summer holiday plans: Asia 09

Comment

Anything out of SIN andout of the extraordinary is going to be 'referred'.. especially since BD would have added comments on your booking like "No changes to flights except by BMI"...

SQ even though *might*change for you, but hesitate and will ask you to ask BD to reissue ticket before they accept you. Your chances are better ex-FRA than SIN really.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_apromise View Post
            If you ask me, 0%.
            Well, I must have struck jackpot! I switched from the SQ602 SIN-ICN flight to the SQ016 77W flight on the same day by just going to the transit counter and asking if there is space on the earlier flight.

It was an AC Aeroplan reward flight.

Of course, that's not to say that it will happen every time to whoever asks, but it did happen at least once!

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
              Well, I must have struck jackpot! I switched from the SQ602 SIN-ICN flight to the SQ016 77W flight on the same day by just going to the transit counter and asking if there is space on the earlier flight.....
              I've found the transit counter in SIN much more forgiving the landside check-in counter. Once I overnighted in SIN on a ticket with X (transit); I was asked to show my boarding pass for my previous flight before they will check me in. The transit counter would not have requested that. The trouble is: how do you get into transit area to check-in if you are in SIN already?

Comment

I read a trip report (either here or TOF, can't seem to find the link now), the pax was flying something (ex-somewhere, can't remember) > SIN > ICN.

I think he managed to change his later exSIN flight to SQ16 with new F seats with no problem at all (at transfer check in at SIN, he had checked in already).
                zxcvbn

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
                  I read a trip report (either here or TOF, can't seem to find the link now), the pax was flying something (ex-somewhere, can't remember) > SIN > ICN.

I think he managed to change his later exSIN flight to SQ16 with new F seats with no problem at all (at transfer check in at SIN, he had checked in already).
                  See two posts before yours

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post

Comment

Also remember that its only the new C that requires an "unrestricted" award ticket. The new F doesn't have these restrictions. I think providing there are seats available, the chances of changing flights would be quite high.
                      matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
                        Also remember that its only the new C that requires an "unrestricted" award ticket. The new F doesn't have these restrictions........

Are you sure?

From SQ award chart:
                        Only unrestricted awards are available for redemption in First and Business Class on B777-300ER flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                          Oops. not reading clearly!

Anyways, I don't see why they shouldn't let you change if there is availability.
                          zxcvbn

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
                            Anyways, I don't see why they shouldn't let you change if there is availability.
                            Why would you say that? The F products for 744 and 77W are different which are reflected in the much much higher mileage redemption for 77W. Thus per rule, change can't happen.
                            If it happened, it's not a norm, but just an anomaly, or an exception with certain factors...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                              Why would you say that? The F products for 744 and 77W are different which are reflected in the much much higher mileage redemption for 77W. Thus per rule, change can't happen.
                              If it happened, it's not a norm, but just an anomaly, or an exception with certain factors...
                              Oh. . Thought most airlines would allow change if there were still availability an hour before the flight. It would make the passenger very happy, and free up another seat on the next flight.
                              zxcvbn

Comment

Working...
                              X