New cabins for 744?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cabins for 744?

I just flew into sgp on SPG - and the bird sure looks every bit the 12 years she is.

The toilets were tired-looking and lots of DIY-repairs could be seen (some patchy silicon work on the doorframe), the seat-reclines were spoilt and kept slipping back, IFE screen falling apart (plus brightness keys not working)

Anyone have insider info on whether any of the 744s will be getting the new SQ cabins? or are they destined to keep the current states till they are slowly slowly retired, or packed off to CX inter alia?

p/s i like the new trays though. non-slip.

*** think the Megatop will be refurbished, given that they will be progressively retired

Comment

Yeah the one that I was on last year had a tray that had a broken handle/'leg' (my neighbor's, not mine). AFter he alerted a flight attendant, she merely said "We will make sure our engineers take a look at it" - which incidentally got the guy confused, like right now on this flight or in the future when the aircraft goes into servicing. Since we established shortly it was the latter, I offered some band aid that I had with me onboard, and got the darn thing plastered up - and it worked. Hope they have removed it - and replaced the tray - by now.

By the way, is the entire fleet going to be retired soon? I would imagine they would keep a couple of the newer ones to fly on routes like SQ25/26, since many on this board have said it isn't likely it will get the A380.

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
        Yeah the one that I was on last year had a tray that had a broken handle/'leg' (my neighbor's, not mine). AFter he alerted a flight attendant, she merely said "We will make sure our engineers take a look at it" - which incidentally got the guy confused, like right now on this flight or in the future when the aircraft goes into servicing. Since we established shortly it was the latter, I offered some band aid that I had with me onboard, and got the darn thing plastered up - and it worked. Hope they have removed it - and replaced the tray - by now.

By the way, is the entire fleet going to be retired soon? I would imagine they would keep a couple of the newer ones to fly on routes like SQ25/26, since many on this board have said it isn't likely it will get the A380.
        Who knows, they might just give u the 77Es

Comment

They won't be getting any major updates, but anything broken does get replaced. The last one will probably leave the SQ fleet in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
            Who knows, they might just give u the 77Es
            77E means the 777-200ER? Sorry I didn't get your point. Why would they put a 777-200ER on the JFK route?

Comment

Why would they put a 777-200ER on the JFK route?
              To match capacity with demand. However, how would they rotate a 777-200ER to FRA or JFK? Perhaps SIN-PEK-JFK?

Comment

I don't think the B77E is likely considering that there are too many stations fighting for them at this time.

Furthermore, F load to JFK is relatively healthy. Dunno about the yield though, especially exFRA.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                  They won't be getting any major updates, but anything broken does get replaced. The last one will probably leave the SQ fleet in 2011.
                  2011? I thought that SQ flight manifest states that SQ will retire all their 744 by end 08 to pave way for the A330 that they had leased

Comment

Definitely looking tired - was on LHR-SIN flight in Dec, and water leaked out of the galley for some reason. The aisle was wet for about 5 rows of seats and the poor SQ girl had to put down pages of newspapers (most probably ST) on the wet aisle after passengers complained. She looked hassled after serving a whole section for the entire 12 hrs by herself and now had to be a cleaner as well. On SIN-LHR, some passengers a few rows ahead of me complained about unnaturally high temperature on the cabin floor in their row and the official explanation given was something about trapped fibres which causes heat retention etc. Wasn't expecting newspaper-padded, leaky and self-combusting cabin floors on SQ but hey I'm sure there are worse scenarios...

Comment

Originally posted by A350 View Post
                      2011? I thought that SQ flight manifest states that SQ will retire all their 744 by end 08 to pave way for the A330 that they had leased
                      Just think about what would happen to capacity if SQ were to retire all 18 JumboJets by the end of this year. Probably four or five will be retired this year.

The A330s will be replacing 777s, not JumboJets.
                      Last edited by zvezda; 15 March 2008, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ithaka View Post
                        Definitely looking tired - was on LHR-SIN flight in Dec, and water leaked out of the galley for some reason. The aisle was wet for about 5 rows of seats and the poor SQ girl had to put down pages of newspapers (most probably ST) on the wet aisle after passengers complained. She looked hassled after serving a whole section for the entire 12 hrs by herself and now had to be a cleaner as well. On SIN-LHR, some passengers a few rows ahead of me complained about unnaturally high temperature on the cabin floor in their row and the official explanation given was something about trapped fibres which causes heat retention etc. Wasn't expecting newspaper-padded, leaky and self-combusting cabin floors on SQ but hey I'm sure there are worse scenarios...
                        That sounds like a situation you find on Continental than SQ. Hopefully I can get on SPP, SPN, or SPM - and not the SMs! - next month when I fly SQ25.

Comment

the last time i flew on SPN, i think it was a sydney flight a year ago, she was in really poor knick too. i like SPP and SPQ though. SPP more cos of the star alliance livery thingy - figured they might take care of the plane cos there are erm, subconscious 'expectations'? haha

then again, i'm kinda sad case - i've almost exclusively flown 744s for the past 5 years, cos all my flights are long haul/high density destinations. prolly have flown every SQ 744 in current operation, maybe with the exception of SPF and SPH.

Comment

Hopefully I can get on SPP, SPN, or SPM - and not the SMs!
                            9V-SMS is just out of substantial MX. The interior was probably cleaned up.

Comment

Originally posted by ithaka View Post
                              The aisle was wet for about 5 rows of seats and the poor SQ girl had to put down pages of newspapers (most probably ST) on the wet aisle after passengers complained.
                              I wonder if any absorbency analysis was performed on the ST to determine if it was the right choice of tabloid to provide relief from the water?

Comment

Working...
                              X