Singapore Airlines Reduces North America Weight Baggage Allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines Reduces North America Weight Baggage Allowance

For itineraries involving the North America region, the allowed weight for each bag will be reduced from 32kg (70lb) to 23kg (50lb). Customers will still continue to enjoy a two-piece free allowance.

I hope this doesn't apply to *G, Business and First Class passengers (like United).

Comment

Any ideas when this is going to start? Or has it already started? 23 kg is not a whole lot!

Comment

wef 01 April.

Max baggage weight is reduced to 23kg. Number of pieces of bags remain unchanged..

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
          Any ideas when this is going to start? Or has it already started? 23 kg is not a whole lot!
          Come on 23X2= 46KG allowance compared to 20KG on all non N America routes.

Its a crazy state of affairs really and no doubt one that's on the way out slowly I would imagine..

Comment

New baggage policy and Sporting Equipment

Does anyone know how this will affect sporting equipment ?
            I usually travel will 2 checked bags
            1 rolling bag and 1 rolling Surfboard Bag (usually close to 30 Kg)

There is no way i can bring a third bag ,so any extra piece allowance for travel in C or being KF gold is useless.
            And the new Zone Charges do not show USA ?
            Of course calling KF was not helpful at all

Comment

Seems like it is up to the individual airline to decide what North America baggage allowance it would like to offer (i.e., no more harmonized baggage allowance accross the airlines).

Here's what BR (Eva Air) is doing:

From April 15, 2008, the free baggage allowance will be adjusted as below when passengers flying EVA Air's USA/Canada routes.

Class // By Piece Rule

Business/Premium Laurel // 2 pieces, each baggage shall not exceed 32kg(70lb) *Note1*
              Evergreen Deluxe/Elite // 2 pieces, each baggage shall not exceed 28kg(61lb)
              Economy // 2 pieces, each baggage shall not exceed 23kg(50lb)

*Note 1: Passengers traveling on EVA Business/Premium Laurel Class are entitled to have one extra free piece within 23kg (50lb)
              Diamond/Gold/Silver card members flying with EVA Air's on USA/Canada routes can get one extra free piece within 23kg (50lb) for all classes

So Business Class pax actually benefit from the new rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Bon View Post
                I hope this doesn't apply to *G, Business and First Class passengers (like United).
                I've contacted Singapore Airlines (via the Feedback on their website) about this and the answer is clear: yes, it does apply!

This makes Singapore Airlines the worst airline to fly with, if you have above average luggage! Especially because they are very picky in Singapore. And yes, on First Class passengers! Happened to me: one piece was 3 pounds to heavy and I had to store these 3 pounds in a cardboard box, which they shipped. I still have a picture of that cardboard box with "First Class", "Fragile" and other stickers all over it.

I am actually shocked that this applies to Business or even First! It doesn't make a big difference in the weight of the plane, but makes it much harder/impossible to transport e.g. sports equipment with Singapore Airlines without having trouble.

BTW: this is what other airlines currently say:

Thai Airways: 2 pieces, 32kg each (First, Business & Economy)
                Cathay Pacific: 2 pieces, 32kg each (First, Business & Economy)
                Lufthansa: 2 pieces, 32kg each (First, Business), 2 pieces, 23kg (Economy)
                United: 2 pieces, 32kg each (First, Business), 2 pieces, 23kg (Economy)
                Qantas: 2 pieces, 32kg each (First, Business & Economy)
                Virgin Atlantic: 3 pieces, 32kg each (Business), 2 pieces, 32kg (Premium Economy), 2 pieces, 23kg (Economy)
                Air New Zealand: 2 pieces, 32kg (Business), 2 pieces, 23kg (Economy)

BA has a 23kg limit, but allows premium passengers (First, Business) a third piece of luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by mmm View Post
                  BA has a 23kg limit, but allows premium passengers (First, Business) a third piece of luggage.
                  The BA reduction from 32kg to 23kg doesn't come into effect until November 2008 (and even then, may be delayed). If introduced, there'll be a flat fee of £25 for bags over 23kg.

So, for the moment, first and business pax are allowed 3 bags (each up to 32kg) and everyone else 2 bags (each up to 32kg).

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...en_gb#americas

(Of course, with LHR T5, a generous luggage allowance on BA for first and business (better than all of the above airlines mentioned except VS which is the same) isn't much help unless the luggage actually gets on the plane! )
                  Last edited by jhm; 6 April 2008, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Think of the poor luggage handlers....the health and safety aspects.

Comment

For UA, If you are Premiere Exec or 1K and Star Alliance Gold, you are still allow 32kg + 1 extra piece of 32kg. Nothing change for UA Premeire Exec and up status.

Comment

Does anyone know what SQ will charge for 3rd piece of bag... abeit still at 23kg for economy class passengers? Is it also for Business Class passengers?

Air Canada allows 3 pieces at 32kg each for Business Class passengers. Wonder how much SQ will allow from SIN- HKG when connecting on AC to YVR?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                          Air Canada allows 3 pieces at 32kg each for Business Class passengers. Wonder how much SQ will allow from SIN- HKG when connecting on AC to YVR?
                          Good question. As much as I love to fly SQ, I have never been tempted to try any routing that involved a combination of SQ and AC.

When SIA suspended SQ 18/17, I did try AC in/out of HKG connecting with UA and once was enough. HKG Chek Lap Kok airport is not one of my favorite airports in Asia, nuff said.
                          Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

The baggage allowance on SQ is pretty poor all around!

Business class from Australia to Europe
                            30kgs...

Very very bad!

Comment

In this regard, i think continental was great for *G flyers - 3pcs. of 70lbs each!

Comment

Working...
                              X