Slapping Incident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starrynight000 View Post
    Not referring to Abraham at all, but sometimes the lawyer in question may be doing it to increase his profile, etc... not to mention that in this case, the Abraham may have gotten the file from his (ex?) boss, who is known for taking on such cases.
    I am not sure how much attention this case has received in Singapore, but it seems to be a relatively low profile case for the general public. I'd have thought when lawyers do pro bono work for the sake of profile, they'd have picked a more significant case, like test cases or major class actions.

I remember doing vacation work for a major commercial firm in Melbourne which was representing the plaintiffs in a huge class action which was both a test case and of major political significance and public interest - the solicitor assigned to the case was quite candid about the real reason why the firm agreed to take on the case. But he himself seemed rather passionate about it so good on him.

Of course I could be totally wrong (and I'm drunk!) and that this particular case might have received a great deal of media attention in Singapore. Or that it is genuine altruism on that lawyer's part.

It's fun to speculate.

Damn that;'s taken far too many edits...
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 9 March 2008, 08:59 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      I am not sure how much attention this case has received in Singapore, but it seems to be a relatively low profile case for the general public. I'd have thought when lawyers do pro bono work for the sake of profile, they'd have picked a more significant case, like test cases or major class actions.
      Exactly. According to two of the newspaper reports above, the maximum amount which could have been claimed is either S$250,000 or S$60,000 (perhaps starrynight000 can clarify which one is correct) but if you look at the cases mentioned in the lawyer's profile, all of the amounts mentioned have a few more zeroes. IMO, someone like that doesn't need a case like this to raise his profile.

Simiarly, his boss has clients like the Prime Minister and Minister Mentor of Singapore, Singapore Press Holdings etc so I'm sure his profile doesn't need the 10-minute publicity created by a simple case of slapping!

(OT - starrynight000 - I have to say that your dog looks soooooooooooo cute! )

Comment

The 3 courts of first instance in Singapore are the Magistrate's Courts, District Court, and High Court. The general "ceiling" for MC and DC are $60,000 and $250,000 respectively.

Abraham is not that senior lah My case profile had (I'm not in private practice anymore) 9-figure cases too, but those were my boss' files on which I assisted him as the junior on the case. By the way, I believe Abraham was also the one who got a formerly-disbarred lawyer his practicing cert back.

BTW, I'm out of touch, so I don't know whether this is still the case, but Abe's ex boss is Jimmy Yim, not Davinder Singh as some people might have thought.

And yes, the dog is a beaut!

Comment

March 13, 2008
          Venture Corp CEO's wife charged with causing hurt to SIA stewardess
          By Elena Chan

http://http://www.straitstimes.com/S...01_01_0001.jpg

Tan Siew Hoon, 61, is accused of causing hurt to Singapore Airlines stewardess Thia Jiamin, 25, on the left cheek on board a Tokyo-bound flight on Sept 20. -- ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

THE wife of Venture Corp chairman and chief executive officer was charged in a magistrate's court with slapping a flight attendant last September.
          Tan Siew Hoon, 61, is accused of causing hurt to Singapore Airlines stewardess Thia Jiamin, 25, on the left cheek on board a Tokyo-bound flight on Sept 20.

A week ago, Tan had settled a suit with Ms Thia who sought unspecified damages for 'emotional and mental distress'' as a result of the 'wrongful assault and battery'' as well as for defamation. The terms of settlement were confidential.

Tan and her husband, Mr Wong Ngit Liong, were in the business class of the Singapore Airlines flight when the alleged incident took place at around 3pm.

Her lawyer, Mr Ravinderpal Singh, told the court on Thursday he had made representations, and the prosecution asked for three weeks.

The case will be mentioned on April 3.

If convicted, she can be jailed for up one year or fined up to $1,000 or both.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotsnoopy View Post
            ........when the alleged incident took place.........
            Why does the press still use that word when it did happen.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotsnoopy View Post
              If convicted, she can be jailed for up one year or fined up to $1,000 or both.
              The maximum fine of $1,000 is merely less than a slap on the wrist (not cheek unfortunately) for her. I don't see the prosecution asking for a deterrent sentence in this case.

Comment

Still in hot soup over slapping incident

Still in hot soup over slapping incident

Nazry Bahrawi
                nazry@mediacorp.com.sg

A WEEK after settling out of court a suit filed by a Singapore Airlines (SIA) stewardess whom she allegedly struck, the wife of the Venture Corporation chief executive found herself in more legal hot soup over the same incident yesterday.

This time, Tan Siew Hoon, 61, faced a criminal charge levelled at her by the state.

Tan is charged with voluntarily causing hurt to Ms Then Jiamin, 25, whom she allegedly slapped across the left cheek last September on an SIA flight bound for Tokyo.

If found guilty, Tan could be fined up to $1,000 or imprisoned for a year, or both.

Her case will be mentioned on April 3. Tan declined comment through her lawyer Ravinderpal Singh.

In response to queries from Today, Mr Stephen Forshaw, SIA's vice-president for public affairs, said: "Without prejudging any matter before the courts, SIA will provide support to any of its staff members who are assaulted in the course of their duty. That support may extend to counselling, time off and legal remedies, depending on the circumstances.

"We also encourage staff who are the victims of assault or air rage to report the matter to police, whether it be here in Singapore, or at an overseas destination. On the particular case in question, SIA cannot comment on the circumstances of this case because it is now before the courts."

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/242841.asp

Comment

A picture of the woman in question!

Tan Siew Hoon, 61, is accused of causing hurt to Singapore Airlines stewardess Thia Jiamin, 25, on the left cheek on board a Tokyo-bound flight on Sept 20. -- ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

Comment

Originally posted by luftie View Post
                    Is that true that Madam Tan Siew Hoon was a SQ girl?
                    Anyone managed to delve deeper?

P.S. She does seem to have the X-factor to be one... provided she can wear a smile.

Comment

She looks scary!

Comment

Yup! Look every bit like a stern, feisty Red-Kebaya clad Chief Stewardess!

Comment

Venture Corp chairman's wife let off with warning

The verdict is out.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...343354/1/.html

Felt that she have been let off too easily. Wonder if the outcome would be different if it involve some ordinary people instead.

Comment

Judge probably took into account the facts that the civil suit was settled and that she was 61 years old.

Sometimes though, the process of going through a criminal charge is pretty nerve wrecking and punishment enough, not to mention the public shaming when newspapers report on the process.

Comment

If I were the judge, I probably would have given her one stroke of the cane.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                                Judge probably took into account the facts that the civil suit was settled and that she was 61 years old.

Sometimes though, the process of going through a criminal charge is pretty nerve wrecking and punishment enough, not to mention the public shaming when newspapers report on the process.
                                Civil suits are usually settled thru $$$$. But $ is definitely not a problem to her, as long as she can escape any jail term. If she was just a ordinary lady, I doubt it will be easy for her to settle the civil suit, as she will have difficulty raising the amount of cash that the stewardess demanded. Won't the judge consider that as well?

It is true that she had suffered a bit during the criminal charge process. However, recent events had led me to think that people with cash, power or status can easily escape trouble, or are very well-protected....

Comment

Working...
                                X