Is SQ overpriced in F/C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is SQ overpriced in F/C?

I was checking some fares on SQ and CX and I calculated that several of the C class fares were about 35% higher on SQ than CX. To me this is noteworthy because CX is also a high quality carrier.

I know that SQ is arguably the highest quality carrier these days, but is it really worth that much difference in price? For those who want the best experience I think there is no question that SQ is the answer.

Especially based upon some comments/reviews I have read about the ability of SQ to attract the same quality of FAs due to a much improved economy in their hiring region.

fclass

Which routes were you looking at?

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
      Which routes were you looking at?
      SAN-SFO-SIN, SAN-LAX-SIN-BKK,SAN-SFO-HKG

At least that is what I get when I price them online. Perhaps I am missing something.

fclass

Comment

Hmmm.

I couldn't find SANHKG but I did SANBKK.

Yes, SQ is around US$1800 while CX is US$1030 (March 2008).

I am only going to suspect it's because SIA is not well integrated in terms of fares probably with United Airlines while CX and AA put more effort into partnering with eachother.

But nevertheless, on Singapore Airlines you will experience the "inflight service even other airlines talk about" amongst the other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
          Hmmm.

I couldn't find SANHKG but I did SANBKK.

Yes, SQ is around US$1800 while CX is US$1030 (March 2008).

I am only going to suspect it's because SIA is not well integrated in terms of fares probably with United Airlines while CX and AA put more effort into partnering with eachother.

But nevertheless, on Singapore Airlines you will experience the "inflight service even other airlines talk about" amongst the other stuff.
          Actually, my post refers to F/C class. I could be wrong, but I think the fares you quoted are Y class.

Comment

Depends on the route, actually.

Going from Asia to Europe, in the ICN - ATH route for example, SQ is usually the most expensive (C/J), although imho the best.

I have booked for Sep '08 and the price differences are currently as follows [all compared to SQ C/J fare]:

LH: -15% (Z/D)
            QR: -2% [but up to -50% if you fly from HKG]
            EK: -21%
            AF: -50% (Z/C) or -10% (D/C)
            CX: +10% [and this is from HKG, via LHR though]

From Asia to the U.S., I have no experience yet, but having already booked SQ to SFO (May '08) and then UA to IAD, I can say NH was cheaper flying NRT - IAD directly (Biz-wari fare). But that's just a single example. From different hubs in Asia to the U.S., fares may be different.
            Last edited by N_Architect; 20 January 2008, 12:45 PM. Reason: editing

Comment

Overpriced or not is determined by market force. Since SQ flights are mostly full in F/C, in fact it is down right difficult to get a seat in D class , I would think SQ is not overpriced. Yes, I would like to see lower F/C fares on SQ, but the market doesn't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                Overpriced or not is determined by market force. Since SQ flights are mostly full in F/C, in fact it is down right difficult to get a seat in D class , I would think SQ is not overpriced. Yes, I would like to see lower F/C fares on SQ, but the market doesn't think so.
                I think these are the market forces at work as you say.

It is interesting that other carriers can't or won't complete for the high end travel dollar by being competitive with SQ. Perhaps there is limited upside to that market.

Comment

It definitely seems right now that people are willing to pay a premium to fly SQ particularly in the premium cabins.

Just a little request from me can all of you who are paying this premium please stop so those of us who can't afford to pay it can have a look in.

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                    From Asia to the U.S., I have no experience yet, but having already booked SQ to SFO (May '08) and then UA to IAD, I can say NH was cheaper flying NRT - IAD directly (Biz-wari fare).
                    I've had great experiences with NH and enjoy flying them nearly as much as SQ. On the other hand, I dread flying UA. If I needed to go from Asia to IAD, I would fly NH from NRT.

Comment

Originally posted by fclasspax View Post
                      I was checking some fares on SQ and CX and I calculated that several of the C class fares were about 35% higher on SQ than CX. To me this is noteworthy because CX is also a high quality carrier.

I know that SQ is arguably the highest quality carrier these days, but is it really worth that much difference in price? For those who want the best experience I think there is no question that SQ is the answer.

Especially based upon some comments/reviews I have read about the ability of SQ to attract the same quality of FAs due to a much improved economy in their hiring region.

fclass
                      I can only add that my company put CX on their priority carriers to asia since they offer C(J) class tickets ex Europe to Asia so cheap.
                      I had a (good ) experience with CX ,originallly I wanted to fly with LH or BA(BA of cheap possible payed upgrade to F) to NRT but CX was the cheapest in J also cheaper than BA which is the same alliance-Ticket was about 2500Euro ex Germany at company rate in Biz -3 days min stay -1 year validity -with SQ was about 4500 Euro.

Comment

Originally posted by open-jaw View Post
                        I can only add that my company put CX on their priority carriers to asia since they offer C(J) class tickets ex Europe to Asia so cheap.
                        I had a (good ) experience with CX ,originallly I wanted to fly with LH or BA(BA of cheap possible payed upgrade to F) to NRT but CX was the cheapest in J also cheaper than BA which is the same alliance-Ticket was about 2500Euro ex Germany at company rate in Biz -3 days min stay -1 year validity -with SQ was about 4500 Euro.
                        No such luck for me. I tried online (hoping for special online) and the fare is more expensive than SQ for the SIN-FRA at SGD 9.8 K. Wished I could book through your company though!

Comment

Working...
                        X