Cabin baggage allowance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin baggage allowance

Seems like this merited a special announcement prior to Christmas travel?

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...ws/news_09.jsp

I'm in favor of this, but I've never (sadly) seen this enforced on LHR-SIN or SIN-MNL trips. How do you think SQ will enforce this?
    Last edited by jjpb3; 11 December 2007, 12:05 AM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Hmm, not sure about this until I see how strictly they may start to enforce it.

As someone who only travels with hand luggage anyway, any clampdown on the weight of this would not be welcome. I am usually within gauge for hand luggage but the weight is usually over 7 kilo. I only ever have 1 other smaller bag/case though, I'm not one of these who clatters everyone walking down the aisle with 3 and 4 bags.

They have always been pretty lenient at Changi anyway. I have never been asked to weigh or even show my hand luggage at checkin.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      I only ever have 1 other smaller bag/case though, I'm not one of these who clatters everyone walking down the aisle with 3 and 4 bags.
      Yes, as one who prefers an aisle seat, I place those pax at the top of my list, for when I go postal.
      Last edited by jjpb3; 7 January 2008, 03:56 AM.

Comment

I usually travel with one small but heavy piece of hand luaggage... never had any problems @ Changi or in Europe... however, be aware that some of the "gate dragons" (ladies checking your BP after check-in and prior to security resp. immigration) at ICN and HKG enthusiastically enforce the weight limit and are more than happy to bother you if are a few kg over the limit... had a lengthy argument with one of them @ ICN recently because I was 2 kg ! over the limit... finally she asked me to remove my laptop from the bag and carry it by hand... as if that would make any difference on the overall weight...

They should be more strict with the nbr. of bags you are carrying rather than stubbornly enforce weight restrictions...

Comment

Originally posted by SQOZflyer View Post
          I usually travel with one small but heavy piece of hand luaggage... never had any problems @ Changi or in Europe... however, be aware that some of the "gate dragons" (ladies checking your BP after check-in and prior to security resp. immigration) at ICN and HKG enthusiastically enforce the weight limit and are more than happy to bother you if are a few kg over the limit... had a lengthy argument with one of them @ ICN recently because I was 2 kg ! over the limit... finally she asked me to remove my laptop from the bag and carry it by hand... as if that would make any difference on the overall weight...

They should be more strict with the nbr. of bags you are carrying rather than stubbornly enforce weight restrictions...
          I do understand how the weight is a safety issue, but how terribly inconvenient! I think BA has the right approach to weight: if and only if you can't lift it to the overhead compartment without assistance, you need to check it.

Yes, this is being uncharitable to the weaker-muscled pax*, but they should know better than to rely on the kindness of strangers.

*As I age, I hope I don't impose a similar burden to my fellow pax.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            Hmm, not sure about this until I see how strictly they may start to enforce it.

As someone who only travels with hand luggage anyway, any clampdown on the weight of this would not be welcome. I am usually within gauge for hand luggage but the weight is usually over 7 kilo. I only ever have 1 other smaller bag/case though, I'm not one of these who clatters everyone walking down the aisle with 3 and 4 bags.

They have always been pretty lenient at Changi anyway. I have never been asked to weigh or even show my hand luggage at checkin.
            I've had to pay for luggage at BNE. Ok, it was much, but I had a) flown that luggage into BNE like that and b)reconfirmed with SQ that everything would be fine
            Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Working...
            X