Rumoured: SIA goes nonstop SIN-YYZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MegatopLover View Post
    Those timings look like TG's New York Express. But, again, how can SQ do it with a 77L if it doesn't have any 77L's?
    The new bilateral allows SQ to fly to YYZ but only nonstop. The only aircraft SQ have that can fly nonstop to YYZ are the A340-500s. Is there any chance that SQ would switch from EWR to YYZ? Zero. Is there any chance that SQ would switch from LAX to YYZ? Only if the 777-300ERs could fly nonstop to LAX, which they can't. Is there any chance that SQ would order more A340-500s? About zero. Is there any chance that SQ might order 777-200LRs? Very slim.

In my opinion, this rumour has next to no plausibility.

Comment

[QUOTE=zvezda;50033]The new bilateral allows SQ to fly to YYZ but only nonstop. The only aircraft SQ have that can fly nonstop to YYZ are the A340-500s. Is there any chance that SQ would switch from EWR to YYZ? Zero. Is there any chance that SQ would switch from LAX to YYZ? Only if the 777-300ERs could fly nonstop to LAX, which they can't. Is there any chance that SQ would order more A340-500s? About zero. Is there any chance that SQ might order 777-200LRs? Very slim.

Apparently 77W can fly nonstop to LAX. There is a range map on the Boeing website that shows the 77W from SIN reaching LAX! Methinks one way or with load restrictions only but they don't elaborate

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        Apparently 77W can fly nonstop to LAX. There is a range map on the Boeing website that shows the 77W from SIN reaching LAX! Methinks one way or with load restrictions only but they don't elaborate
        SIN->LAX is no problem for the 777-200ER or 777-300ER. However, LAX->SIN nonstop is not possible with a commercially viable payload using any airliner now in service other than the A340-500 or 777-200LR.
        Last edited by zvezda; 20 March 2008, 03:28 PM. Reason: fixed quoting problem

Comment

Why is it not possible on the LAX-SIN leg? doesn't it use the same route as SIN-LAX?

Comment

Originally posted by Tanandika View Post
            Why is it not possible on the LAX-SIN leg? doesn't it use the same route as SIN-LAX?
            The payload does matter. Also bear in mind of any flight restrictions originating from LAX

Comment

it does but you have to take the winds into account and LAX-SIN does in fact take a bit longer right?

plus: i always wondered about these routes and ETOPS certification. they surely are but isn't such a long flight not always a bit problematic for a two-holer? they'd divert to honolulu if there was an engine failure right? i'm just curious because the SYD-EZE route is not viable for a two-holer to handle because there are not enough airports to divert to if there was an engine failure and that's why QF will sever the route with a B747 ... right?

sorry for these newbie questions .. i'm a novice in avionics and certifications
              Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Funny thing. Flying across Pacific from LAX/SFO, you would think you'd fly over Hawaii. Actually the planes skirt the northern pacific, even A345s. Maybe thats shortest route on a global 3D map as opposed to a flat 2D map.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                  it does but you have to take the winds into account and LAX-SIN does in fact take a bit longer right?
                  Yes, winds is the primary factor especially during Northern winter. On some days, LAX-SIN is longer than EWR-SIN.

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                  sorry for these newbie questions .. i'm a novice in avionics and certifications
                  You're just being humble

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    On some days, LAX-SIN is longer than EWR-SIN.
                    Wow! I never noticed that... which days would that be?

Comment

Wow! I never noticed that... which days would that be?
                      If I could predict weather, I could tell you; but I cant.

Comment

I believe that SQ will have enough reasons to purchase the 77Ls if they have received a deal good enugh from Boeing. YYZ has a large Asian population and you could see Cathay adding frequencies once their 77Ws have arrived. Originally there's only 343 on the HKG-YYZ route with tech stop in ANC which scares a lot of people (including me) because of the flying hours which takes 21 hours. But now they added one more non-stop flight and use mixture of 346 and 77W.

But I am wondering about why SQ would have schedules before they purchase the aircraft. My explanation was maybe it is designed for A345, but they did not use it. I can't think of anymore......

P.S. My first post here....

Comment

Welcome KenTip

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                            Funny thing. Flying across Pacific from LAX/SFO, you would think you'd fly over Hawaii. Actually the planes skirt the northern pacific, even A345s. Maybe thats shortest route on a global 3D map as opposed to a flat 2D map.
                            Yes, transpacific flights to Asia route over the North Pacific. Anchorage and Vancouver are therefore the nearest large US/Canadian cities to (South)east Asia, not LA, San Francisco or some place in Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
                              Welcome KenTip
                              Thanks Singapore Air, but it should be KentIp - Kent Ip.

Comment

With the A350-900 already ordered, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for SQ to order the 777-200LR now. The A350 has sufficient payload/range performance to fly the routes for which SQ were considering the 777-200LR a few years ago, but at a much lower cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X