Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a visa for CGK when doing a same plane SIN-CGK-SIN trip

Hello,

I need some help. I only need 1081 miles to qualify for KF gold. So I thought of doing a SIN-CGK-SIN run with A345 SQ954 and then SQ955 same day/plane.

Do I need a visa? Do I need to go through passport control and check in again? Or can I have my return boarding pass printed at Changi and when I'm in CGK go directly to the gate without going through passport control?

Hope someone can answer some of these questions.

No, one does not need a visa to transit CGK. If you already have your onward boarding pass (highly recommended), proceed up the stairs just before passport control and go directly to your gate. If you don't already have your onward boarding pass, you'll need to stop at the transit desk before the stairs.

Comment

No visa required - no need to pass through immigration.

See the last part of this post:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...74&postcount=1

You only need to pay the departure tax.

Comment

Thanks...

Comment

This is not what happened to me in july 2007. I did a trip SIN-CGK-SIN to fly the A340-500.
          When I arrived in CGK I went upstairs to transit area(with my boarding pass for connection flight). Just upstairs police was there and I was refused in transit area. I have spent more than 1 hour in police office for explanation for this 'strange' trip (also a complete baggage check) and was forced to buy a visa to take my connection flight.
          This is what I call a nice piece of corruption but it 's this or missing my flight.

So there is still a possibility that you 'have' to buy a visa at arrival(is possible in CGK). I'm an officer of federal police myself( I even showed my card) but I have never seen something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by golf1411 View Post
            This is not what happened to me in july 2007. I did a trip SIN-CGK-SIN to fly the A340-500.
            When I arrived in CGK I went upstairs to transit area(with my boarding pass for connection flight). Just upstairs police was there and I was refused in transit area. I have spent more than 1 hour in police office for explanation for this 'strange' trip (also a complete baggage check) and was forced to buy a visa to take my connection flight.
            This is what I call a nice piece of corruption but it 's this or missing my flight.

So there is still a possibility that you 'have' to buy a visa at arrival(is possible in CGK). I'm an officer of federal police myself( I even showed my card) but I have never seen something like this.
            First of all, I am sorry to hear about your experience in SIN-CGK-SIN.
            But, I must say that I don't agree with your hint of corruption.
            I had done many many turn-around at CGK this year. I had my return BP issued at SIN. And the procedure was always: once arriving at CGK, I walked towards immigration, and stopped at transit desk. Then the guy or gal would say just take the escalator up. And most of the time, have to wait for a few minutes to get someone to start the x-ray. Up escalator, and if there were guys at the top end of escalator, if they asked, I would say and show that I go to SIN. Once in a while I have to explain why I did the turnaround. My answers would be to save money in airfares (because ex-CGK is usually cheaper than ex-SIN) and to earn more points (yeah the word miles sometimes did not click in their heads).

The only time I got p***ed off was when I was stopped by a group of immigration officers who accompanied the head of immigration. They looked and checked my passport and gave me big BS statements which I argued that I had done it before, and I knew I did not need to go through immigration. And I said, I knew in the US, yes, to transfer internationally, everyone has to clear immigration and customs. Then they all got upset and threw their frustation to the poor transit desk lady. Of course I defended her. Anyway, the reason why they acted like that at that time was the fact that the head of immigration went to the airport for field inspection due to the big mistakes by the immigration to let someone in a blacklist of no-leave-from-Indonesia to travel out the country.

My point is, the advice from other SQTalkers are valid. And perhaps golf1411's experience is an anomaly.

Have a great weekend!
            Cheers,
            -CGK-

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bad experience (is there any other kind?) with the police. I've been stopped by the police at the top of the stairs exactly once. I said in a dismissive tone: "I'm in transit. I already have my boarding pass and I know to pay the departure tax. Have a nice day." And I walked off to the lounge before giving them a chance to answer.

Perhaps your problem was that you paid them too much respect, they enjoyed it, wanted more, and decided to prolong the experience.

Comment

But, I must say that I don't agree with your hint of corruption.
                I'm not sure how I have to call it otherwise.
                Saying that I have to buy a visa (25 dollars I think) when I don't need one or otherwise no flight.
                I cleared immigration, directly back to departure and passing back immigration. All in about 10 min.
                I would be the richest person in the world when I would make money like that.

Comment

A 7 day tourist visa costs $10. The departure tax at today's exchange rate is about $11. Did they print a visa and affix it to your passport? It should have the price paid printed on it.

Comment

A 7 day tourist visa costs $10. The departure tax at today's exchange rate is about $11. Did they print a visa and affix it to your passport? It should have the price paid printed on it.
                    I just checked my passport. They charged me 25 USD and it's a visa for max. 30 days(even if they knew I had to go directly back).

I didn't even know they charged me too much.

Comment

I just checked my passport. They charged me 25 USD and it's a visa for max. 30 days(even if they knew I had to go directly back).

I didn't even know they charged me too much.
                      They totally ripped you off. The odd thing is they don't get to keep the money. I'm surprised they would bother to overcharge you. Maybe you did something that pissed them off?

I've been to CGK many times and I've never had them try to overcharge me.

Comment

Hello, I am from Hong Kong.

I would possibly staying in Singapore for some days during late May, and I would like to try the Y+ in the A340-500 and considering to have a turnaround in CGK by taking SQ954 then SQ955, I still have some worries about this trip.

1. As the turnaround time is only 1 hour, will it be too rush to do the transit in the airport?

2. Can I issue my return leg's boarding pass in SIN also?

3. Will it be trouble from the police/immigation officer?

4. How to pay the departure tax in CGK? Can I pay by credit card since I think I will not have their currency.

5. Is that booking in the SQ's site would be the cheapest and easiest way to book the ticket?

Thank you fro your help!

Sutrakhk

Comment

Originally posted by sutrakhk View Post
                          Hello, I am from Hong Kong.

I would possibly staying in Singapore for some days during late May, and I would like to try the Y+ in the A340-500 and considering to have a turnaround in CGK by taking SQ954 then SQ955, I still have some worries about this trip.

1. As the turnaround time is only 1 hour, will it be too rush to do the transit in the airport?

2. Can I issue my return leg's boarding pass in SIN also?

3. Will it be trouble from the police/immigation officer?

4. How to pay the departure tax in CGK? Can I pay by credit card since I think I will not have their currency.

5. Is that booking in the SQ's site would be the cheapest and easiest way to book the ticket?

Thank you fro your help!

Sutrakhk
                          Sutrakhk,

1 - One hour is adequate.
                          2 - You can collect your return BP in SIN
                          3 - Not in my personal experience
                          4 - Upon arrival, head towards transit desk and then up the escalators. Veer left towards a money changer. They accept all currencies and get some Indonesian currency. Head towards your gate at boarding time and pay the lady who collects your BP.
                          5 - Sorry no personal experience costwise but most painless internet booking process.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                            Sutrakhk,

1 - One hour is adequate.
                            2 - You can collect your return BP in SIN
                            3 - Not in my personal experience
                            4 - Upon arrival, head towards transit desk and then up the escalators. Veer left towards a money changer. They accept all currencies and get some Indonesian currency. Head towards your gate at boarding time and pay the lady who collects your BP.
                            5 - Sorry no personal experience costwise but most painless internet booking process.

Many thanks~

Regarding to Point 4, is that I have to paid the tax in Indonesian curremcy only?
                            Because in this post, the writer seems mentioning Singapore dollars would be OK, isn't it?

Another question, is that the A345 swapped to other aircrafts quite often recently these times?

Comment

I think the lady who collect the BP told me once she can take SIN dollars but I decided against that. Poor conversion rates comes to mind.

A345 swap? no idea as I have no interest nor track aircraft changes. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X