Reconfiguring the A340-500s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reconfiguring the A340-500s?

There have been rumours floating about that SQ might reconfigure their A340-500s with the new C seats in an all business class configuration. Now that we know the pitch (55 inches) of the new C seats on the WhaleJet, we can calculate that 24 rows of 4 seats each could be fitted.

Given demand on the routes, I think SQ could get as much revenue from 96 new C seats as from 64 SpaceBeds plus 117 Executive Economy seats, as the latter generate only a little additional yield beyond regular economy. On top of that, SQ would be able to carry significantly more cargo.

The only problem I see with the idea is that an all business class configuration would not be good for the CGK flights. I think SQ might do this.

I think they will do it, eventually. If one were cynical, one could say that the decision-making process seems long when it has come to this question.

I suspect that it is not a surprise that SQ2 sees the A380 before SQ12. There are many reasons but one of them is probably that the A380 could cannnibalise the A345 passengers with its product.

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
      I suspect that it is not a surprise that SQ2 sees the A380 before SQ12. There are many reasons but one of them is probably that the A380 could cannnibalise the A345 passengers with its product.
      I'm not so sure. They are on almost diametrically opposed schedules. Also, there is the attraction of the nonstop. SQ might also have a tighter capacity crunch into SFO than into LAX. I know that business class loads are good into both cities, but overall yields are not what SQ would like them to be. Reconfiguring the A340-500s as above would raise yields substantially.

Comment

For those of us who have no choice but to fly at the back of the plane, I would certainly be sad to see the demise of the Y+ A345 flights if this does comes to fruition. Not only the fact of the extra leg room but also that it is non-stop.

Now let me pose this question, assuming the A345 does go all C, and the A380 goes on to the SQ2 before the SQ12, for us Y passengers rather than flying the SQ12 on a 744 are we better flying the SQ2 and getting a connecting flight to LAX or the SQ28 via TPE on the 77W?

Comment

Originally posted by soak01 View Post
          Now let me pose this question, assuming the A345 does go all C, and the A380 goes on to the SQ2 before the SQ12, for us Y passengers rather than flying the SQ12 on a 744 are we better flying the SQ2 and getting a connecting flight to LAX or the SQ28 via TPE on the 77W?
          Assuming your route is LAX-SIN, I would take SQ28 via TPE rather than connect through SFO. What would be the advantage of making an extra stop and flying on UA?

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
            Assuming your route is LAX-SIN, I would take SQ28 via TPE rather than connect through SFO. What would be the advantage of making an extra stop and flying on UA?
            Only to get the chance to fly on the A380

Comment

Originally posted by soak01 View Post
              Only to get the chance to fly on the A380
              Sounds like a disadvantage to me. Have you flown SQ1. It's already not fun disembarking in HKG and having to pass through security and rush back to the aircraft. With 470 other passengers can't be an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                Sounds like a disadvantage to me. Have you flown SQ1. It's already not fun disembarking in HKG and having to pass through security and rush back to the aircraft. With 470 other passengers can't be an improvement.

I am thinking of buying a Y+ ticket in June next year from EWR to SIN. What do you think would happen if they converted everything to C before the flight

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                  I am thinking of buying a Y+ ticket in June next year from EWR to SIN. What do you think would happen if they converted everything to C before the flight
                  First, I doubt it would happen that soon. If it did, you would probably be given the choice of:
                  a) a full refund,
                  b) accommodation via FRA, or
                  c) a good price on business class.

Comment

SQ should upgrade the business and economy classes to the new product. Also, the whole fleet should have the new products.

Comment

Originally posted by hansonator69 View Post
                      SQ should upgrade the business and economy classes to the new product. Also, the whole fleet should have the new products.
                      A fine suggestion - but only if they'll drop that draconian 2x miles rule for the new products (R class being the glaring exception). Somehow, i doubt that that's going to happen.... so be careful what you wish for

Comment

This sounds great and they should have golden toilets too...

Comment

As fast as the 747s are leaving the fleet, I don't expect them to get updated cabins. Nor do I expect any of the regional fleet to get the new F or C products. Rather, I expect new regional F and C products to be introduced with the A330-300s in 2009. The A340-500s and the long-haul 777-200ERs might get the new cabins.

Comment

Working...
                          X