Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the Brisbane bound 777s have AVOD?

Hey guys!

I'm new here. I always fly SQ internationally, and have flown them in 1998, 2002, 2004 and am planning again in february next year on a trip to hong kong & taipei.

Over the years I've noticed a slip in the standards, but I still regard SQ very highly. Just wondering if the 777s sent to BNE ever have AVOD? I've never had that on any of my flights and it's making me consider flying Qantas instead.. I tried e-mailling SQ but there was no response.

Thanks!

Johann

sometimes AVOD sometimes not AVOD. All depends on your luck. I hate when they use non AVOD for 7.5 hours flight.

Comment

as lee said, it's all up to chance, sounds like you have my luck

Comment

Chances, based on the following premise:

1) BNE gets 9V-SR* series aircraft - regional 2 class with no spacebeds, configured 30J/293Y

2) There are 17 aircraft in the 9V-SR* series. 9V-SRA to SRQ delivered in roughly chronological order to their alphabets.

3) SRA-SRH (the first 8 planes) do not have AVOD.
        4) SRI-SRQ (the last 9 planes) do have AVOD.

5) SR series aircraft are rotated across all the destinations that they operate to (i.e no dedicated frame to one route ala 9V-SPR to AKL only)

Your chances of getting AVOD are 52.94%. You never having had AVOD on your flights is pure bad luck I'd say.
        Last edited by SQflyergirl; 10 October 2007, 06:15 AM. Reason: Dodgy Y numbers. Edited to 293

Comment

Haha. I just love it when SQflyergirl comes out to respond in her most statistical way.
          My Cafe Adventures
          Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
          http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Thanks for the detailed chances!! That's exactly what I was wanting to know.. I really can't believe they still send their non-AVOD non-Spacebed 777s to Brisbane - it is an 8 hour flight! I thought they would've upgraded them since the last time I flew in 2004.

I think I will still fly them, though, as SQ tend to be cheaper!

Comment

EVA Air would be another option, their A330 is pretty good too. They are all fitted with AVOD entertainment systems
              The Romance of Travel... Singapore Airlines

Comment

The 9V-SR* series are scheduled to begin retirement in 2009 when the A330-300s start joining the fleet. The last SQ aircraft without AVOD will probably leave the fleet about 2012. Of course, some might get AVOD before that.

Comment

AVOD or not, SQ are the ONLY carrier that operate a "day" flight BOTH into & out of BNE to/from SIN (SQ256 or SQ236 then SQ245). All other carriers force us to experience the "luxury" of a red-eye in the Y cabin in at least one direction.

The only other alternative is QF out of BNE to SIN and back again via SYD.
                  Though Etihad is the new "boy" on the block even they cannot match SQ
                  in red-eye avoidance terms.

SQ have also added an additional BNE "day" flight for Summer (SQ256).

I'd much rather take a good book and travel Y during the day in both directions than go Y via SYD on QF or pay for C fares!
                  Last edited by iangoodwin; 9 October 2007, 09:11 PM. Reason: typo!
                  "First to Fly" the Airbus A380.
                  www.FirstToFly.net

Comment

I actually don't mind the night flight on return from SIN to Australia, the day flight seems to shrink the whole day into 7 hours, much harder to adjust than the night flight
                    Last edited by Greatfox; 9 October 2007, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      Chances, based on the following premise:

1) BNE gets 9V-SR* series aircraft - regional 2 class with no spacebeds, configured 30J/293Y

2) There are 17 aircraft in the 9V-SR* series. 9V-SRA to SRQ delivered in roughly chronological order to their alphabets.

3) SRA-SRH (the first 8 planes) do not have AVOD.
                      4) SRI-SRQ (the last 9 planes) do have AVOD.

5) SR series aircraft are rotated across all the destinations that they operate to (i.e no dedicated frame to one route ala 9V-SPR to AKL only)

Your chances of getting AVOD are 52.94%. You never having had AVOD on your flights is pure bad luck I'd say.

Sorry to crash in... about the SIN-CHC flights, they also have dedicated flights with AVOD right?

And the non-A380 SIN-SYD flights will also have AVOD, am I right?

Thanks!
                      Last edited by SQflyergirl; 10 October 2007, 06:16 AM. Reason: Edited information on Y config

Comment

Originally posted by taless View Post
                        Sorry to crash in... about the SIN-CHC flights, they also have dedicated flights with AVOD right?
                        Yes. Those are operated by the 9V-SV* aircraft, of which there are 15 in identical 30J/255Y config, and is 100% AVOD.

Originally posted by taless View Post

And the non-A380 SIN-SYD flights will also have AVOD, am I right?
                        Yes also, Those are operated by the 744 - of which all of the current fleet has AVOD.
                        Last edited by SQflyergirl; 10 October 2007, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X