Dilema - to book through Travel Agent or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilema - to book through Travel Agent or not

Hi. This is my first post here at sqTalk! Looks like a lovely forum.

Alright this is my issue. I'm based in London and I'm planning for my trip next summer. Essentially, I want to go to Kuching (KCH), Christchurch (CHC), return to Kuching again, then fly back to London. I am also considering a short trip at Sydney (SYD), however, this is not really essential.

I am a Krisflyer Silver, and would love to maintain the Silver status with the above flights next year.

I have a few questions:
    1. Would you go to the travel agent, and book the itinerary above with them, such that all will be in a PNR? Or would you book a LHR-SIN-CHC return; and 2SIN-KCH return flights on Singapore Airlines and Silkair respectively? (I am thinking of the two benefits of being under one PNR: flight misconnections will be dealt with; also may be easier to request for an excess baggage waiver from SQ?)

2. If I do go to Sydney, I will in turn book an open-jaw, such that it'll be LHR-SIN-SYD and CHC-SIN-LHR, with a SYD-CHC on Air NZ. If all these are in the same PNR, and SQ grants me an excess baggage waiver (last year I e-mailed them for 30kgs and they said yes), do you think Air NZ will oblige and give me the 30kgs as well?

3. I do notice that the KCH-SIN-KCH flight is cheaper than the SIN-KCH-SIN flight. I am planning to request the Travel Agents to book a single SIN-KCH; then a KCH-SIN-KCH return, then another KCH-SIN single. Do you think are Travel Agents (in London) allowed to do this? If I were to do a flight originating from KCH, I will really need to go to a TA, as www.silkair.com does not allow me to book online if it originates from Kuching.

Sorry for such a long post... but if anyone's able to answer all or any of the above I'll be greatly appreciative!

Thanks.

Welcome to SQTalk taless.

Looking at the destinations and the airlines you want/need to fly, have you considered a Great Escapade ? (www.thegreatescapade.com).

You can fly SQ, MI, NZ & VS on these, which means you can get to CHC, KCH and SYD no problem. It is a RTW ticket so you would have travel through the US on the way back (our outbound if you wanted to go that way) but you could certainly cover your destinations with one.

It may also be worth noting that MH also fly from SIN-KCH although I am not sure if they will be much cheaper.

Comment

Hi MAN Flyer, thanks for your reply.

I'm not really interested in a RTW ticket as I'm really interested in flying to KCH twice (my family's there).

MH's price is basically the same as MI's. I'm interested in flying MI as it gives me Krisflyer miles. Also, in my previous itinerary, MI/SQ granted me the 30kgs, but MH refused to grant me the waiver, hence now I have a policy of boycotting MH unless it is really cheaper than other airlines/other airlines dont cover that route. (I know, it's a privilege not a right for the waiver, but from that experience, I can see that MI/SQ has a better service).

Do you think as part of a same PNR, can travel agents do what I just said - book a single SIN-KCH, then a return KCH-SIN, then another KCH-SIN single?

Thanks!

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, taless.

If you're travelling in Y, I would book the SQ legs through the website so you can select your seat at the time of booking.

A TA should be able to book the single-return-single tickets you mentioned.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by taless View Post

I'm not really interested in a RTW ticket as I'm really interested in flying to KCH twice (my family's there).
          You could visit KCH twice on a Great Escapade but I can understand people not wanting to go through the US these days.

Comment

Isn't it Escapade will be discontinued soon except from the UK?

Comment

Hey, thanks so much for your replies!

MAN Flyer: I wont want to fly through US as I'll need to apply for a visa to transit there.

I was wondering - basically I checked www.singaporeair.com a few days ago. That time, the open jaw flights are about GBP750 (M class), while the LHR-SIN-CHC return flights (with stopovers at Singapore) are about GBP700 (M class)(I might choose to forego Sydney - that is purely for holiday purposes, so non-essential).

Today I was checking, the LHR-SYD, CHC-LHR flights are GBP800 (M class); while the LHR->CHC flights are about GBP780 (M class).

I am really surprised by the price increase over a few days.

Could anyone share whether from their experience, the flight prices will only go higher and higher; or will you expect the prices to be on sale again, say in a few weeks time?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X