When all else fails with the IFE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When all else fails with the IFE.

I flew SQ15 yesterday, ICN-SIN and the IFE failed after the safety presentation. The crew kept resetting it and power-cycling it but to no avail.
    Finally they gave up and out came.... the secret device!

Neat mini KrisWorld. Only 10 movies or so, but better than nothing.

From the crew, this is only for first class. None for J or QPP, TPP or even LPP (Sorry, CGK!)

Cool, looks much better than the digeplayers. Is this a trial set or is this going to be a permenant backup feature?

Comment

Interesting. Will the battery power last for the longest flights?

How were the controls, DFP?
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

well, I suppose it's cheaper than $150 KrisShop Vouchers

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          Interesting. Will the battery power last for the longest flights?

How were the controls, DFP?
          If you look on the left, you will see that what is the power supply plugged in. I guess I should also say that it comes with its own headset, as the three-pronged headset will not plug into it.

I used my own QC2 but I did look at the provided headset and wondered how it got its power. But I did not investigate beyond that.

The controls are simple, just use the arrows on the left to navigate and the movie play-pause/ff/fb controls on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
            well, I suppose it's cheaper than $150 KrisShop Vouchers
            SQ was not cheap on that one.
            We got the players AND US$200 in KrisShop voucher.

When deplaning, I also saw SQ personnel with a cart of small "with our sincere apologies" boxes. Did not see what was in them but they were for the Y passengers.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
              Cool, looks much better than the digeplayers. Is this a trial set or is this going to be a permenant backup feature?
              From my short chat with the crew, I understanding is that it is permanent but only on 77W.

Comment

Looks nice. Does it come with a stand? It seems like it from the pic

Comment

Yeah, small supporting stand in the back.

Comment

Interesting gadget!. Does this mean they are having a number of problems with the IFE on the 77W ?.

Comment

There have always been glitches of various level I believe. The part that seems to have the most problems is the flight map.

By the way, I flew on KE recently and was reminded that I like the interactive map they have much better than any other system. In particular because you can get the information about remaining flight time and so on without having to wait for it to cycle through.

Comment

hey same thing happened to me last time on SQ606. I got US$75 voucher after I sent a complaint.

The box with "out blah blah apology" has passport wallet which is totally uselss. Looks so cheap that no one wants to use.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                          Does this mean they are having a number of problems with the IFE on the 77W ?
                          Not unusual it seems. From a thread in the BA board on TOF (in relation to complaints about BA's AVOD system in its new CW):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732195

Originally posted by IFE Wizard
                          I have experience of AVOD in a number of airlines. Over the past three years I have flown on 266 flights, to check and report on, the AVOD. I do not work for the airlines and do not work directly for the equipment manufacturers. I am an independent consultant.
                          [...]

Originally posted by jhm
                          I'm not doubting what you say but the general perception seems otherwise, e.g. SQ with their old and new (Panasonic ex2) IFE AVOD systems don't seem to have generated even a small proportion of the complaints about the new BA system.
                          Originally posted by IFE Wizard
                          I also haven't seen many complaints on the Air France or Luftahansa sites regarding their AVOD (Rockwell, that is).

Panasonic have engineers flying on their customers airlines. Why, if it is so reliable.

Your right, maybe it is perception... but not reality.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
                            SQ was not cheap on that one.
                            We got the players AND US$200 in KrisShop voucher..

US $200 is not too bad. Nice little player you've got there. The fact SQ had it implies more problems with the AVOD than meets the eye...

The problems that I experienced on 77W were AVOD display map and wrong flight duration.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                              The problems that I experienced on 77W were AVOD display map and wrong flight duration.
                              My $0.02: every time I've been on a 77W, the IFE system's reset itself at least once, and I got to sit through the entire Matsushita Avionics EX2 boot process! I've also had the wrong flight duration show up on some of those flights (predominantly SIN-MXP-BCN)

The annoying part is that the system loses your 'context' on reset, which meant I needed to fast forward the movies each time until the point where I was watching it prior to the reset...

Nice device though DeltaFlyingProf; thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X