From The Australian Newspaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From The Australian Newspaper

The discovery of crudely stapled wires on a Qantas jumbo jet has sparked calls by the airline's engineers for an end to its offshore maintenance program and the grounding of all planes recently worked on overseas.

The problem was uncovered last week in the emergency floor-lighting system of a Qantas Boeing 747-400 that underwent a heavy maintenance check at Singapore Airlines Engineering Company (SIAEC) last year.

The plane was also the subject of a damning Qantas audit, as revealed in The Australian in March, that raised doubts about the standard of maintenance carried out on the airline's planes overseas.

The audit found problems in areas such as flight control cables and floor panels and with inspection documentation, but apparently missed the stapled wiring in two locations on the jet.

Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association federal secretary Steve Purvinas said the latest discovery came when engineers doing a routine check found some of the emergency lighting was no longer working.

"They found the problem was a couple staples had been put through that were were no longer doing their job," Mr Purvinas said. "They thought, 'What the hell is going on here?', and they went down the track and found some more. Eventually (they) had to check the whole plane."

Mr Purvinas said the union had hundreds of photographs of the staples and estimated they had been used at least 30 times on the aircraft.

He said any problem with wiring was a worry because of the potential fire hazard and all wiring fixes done overseas should be reviewed before aircraft were allowed to continue flying. "Certainly, any Qantas aircraft that has been up in Asia should have, particularly, that emergency lighting wiring checked."

Qantas head of engineering David Cox said the use of staples was unacceptable. Qantas staff had picked up on the practice as it was happening in October and had told Singapore to eliminate it.

"But clearly there were two instances on the aeroplane that were not corrected," he said.

"Now we've discovered those, they have been corrected. And we will certainly be revisiting the issue with Singapore vigorously, as we would with any quality pick-up we had with those providers."

Mr Cox urged Qantas workers who found safety problems on its aircraft to report them immediately. He said SIAEC was a first-rate provider and that all organisations, in Australia or not, had issues from time to time.

"The key thing is we're remorseless in dealing with those issues and we'll continue to be remorseless," he said.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority spokesman Peter Gibson said there were no plans to ground Qantas aircraft and that CASA was satisfied with maintenance standards in Singapore.

He said CASA had conducted an SIAEC audit in March.

Months Old.

Over quoted.

Not attributed.

(also heavily refuted and rebutted)

This is the original http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...rom=public_rss
    Last edited by simong; 15 September 2007, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by simong View Post
      Months Old.

Over quoted.

Not attributed.

(also heavily refuted and rebutted)

This is the original http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...rom=public_rss
      Thanks for the link... and your opinions on that?

Comment

The video version of this is also in SQTalk, posted by IanDeYoung. I've seen it, the media is very attacking. They took much out of context; many of the claims were also investigated and found false. The staple in the wiring was found 10 months after the aircraft had its last visit to SIAEC. Some of the repairs were also not done in Singapore..... If one goes to youtube and types in "Qantas Maintenance" you can also find it, one the poster's extra comment section he put evidence the media was quite wrong on this. Another factor was that some Australians are furious over the firing of jobs from Qantas. SIAEC is well regarded as one of the best aircraft maintenance companies in the world. My SIA pilot uncle can back that up as he around SQ's jets all the time and also used to work as as engineer for the company.
        Last edited by sqforever; 15 September 2007, 08:42 PM.
        Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
          Thanks for the link... and your opinions on that?
          sqforever pretty much covered it, as said its months old news and there has been much said since then.

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
            The audit found problems in areas such as flight control cables and floor panels and with inspection documentation, but apparently missed the stapled wiring in two locations on the jet.
            If the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association can't even conduct an audit properly, they certainly can't be trusted to maintain airliners. This clearly shows that QF need to outsource all maintenance overseas in order to have safe operations.

Comment

at the same token, QANTAS did start offshore matainance to cost-cut, and we all know how cost-cutting at SQ is going...

Comment

I think this excellent post over at AFF pretty much sums up the whole saga:
                http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...ple#post139010
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
                  at the same token, QANTAS did start offshore matainance to cost-cut, and we all know how cost-cutting at SQ is going...

True, and although SQ is cost-cutting, they are sensible enough to not compromise safety. I think some of us are blowing SIA's cost-cutting agenda a bit out of proportion. In the end, they're still going to keep they're great service, keep launching great products, and keep making it a great way to fly. I think that with A380 delays, wait for T3 facilities, aircraft shortage and what not SQ is just in a short-term dilemma.
                  Last edited by sqforever; 15 September 2007, 10:44 PM.
                  Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    I think this excellent post over at AFF pretty much sums up the whole saga:
                    http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...ple#post139010
                    Yes, that is spot on. Great post.

Comment

I believe the report first appear on Today Tonight, a current affairs show famous for promoting racism and exagerrated events. Unfortunately, despite its lack of credibility, the show seems to have high ratings. Just like Keith has mentioned, the real saga lies behind the union and Qantas relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by singaporu_kooku View Post
                        I believe the report first appear on Today Tonight, a current affairs show famous for promoting racism and exagerrated events.
                        Not to mention many other forms of isms and phobias.
                        Even Hamish and Andy's piss-taking version of the show is more credible.
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                        X