Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on new BTC / menu offerings

Originally posted by jhm View Post
    My thought on seeing the photo yesterday was that a pax obviously tried to make a teh tarik in secret!
    Then all that's missing is the good old crispy prata!!!

Now come to think of it, perhaps the airline should introduce prata/murtabak as a BTC option on India flights.
    My Cafe Adventures
    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
    Now come to think of it, perhaps the airline should introduce prata/murtabak as a BTC option on India flights.
    Never mind the Indian flights - I wouldn't mind prata/murtabak (plus a dish of hot and spicy curry sauce) as an option instead of satay. No nuts, no meat - that should keep some happy!

I've been meaning to but really must get around to asking for a teh tarik on a flight one day...

Comment

Never mind the Indian flights - I wouldn't mind prata/murtabak (plus a dish of hot and spicy curry sauce) as an option instead of satay. No nuts, no meat - that should keep some happy!
      I know what you mean. Not meaning to be sarcastic towards others, but it's unfortunate that the rest of us have to be deprived of our satay because they have nut allergy. Sigh...

I've been meaning to but really must get around to asking for a teh tarik on a flight one day...
      Might be a problem doing the tossing 35,000 feet up in the air. How about Super instant teh tarik?
      My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Might be a problem doing the tossing 35,000 feet up in the air. How about Super instant teh tarik?
        I wasn't being tongue in cheek when I mentioned it above! From the pre-SQT forum:

Singaporean drinks

Originally posted by shortfinals
        If you have an ethnic Malay FA aboard - you can also ask for Teh (tea) or Milo "tarik" - which i have had.

Comment

I wasn't being tongue in cheek when I mentioned it above! From the pre-SQT forum:

Singaporean drinks
          Yeah. Soon we'll see the likes of Dinosaur, Godzilla and Plaster Prata on board our flights. SIA should do a "Jalan Kayu Theme Night" on one of the overnight flights.
          My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Why can't they serve satay minus the sauce

Comment

SIA should do a "Jalan Kayu Theme Night" on one of the overnight flights.
              What's Jalan Kayu ?

I don't know what kayu is but kaya on toast is another Singaporean option which woud be good IMO!

Comment

Jalan Kayu is in the north of Singapore, and is famous for the 24 hour restaurants and coffee shops selling pretty good local food like roti prata, malay food, and even a decent steak grill place called Jerry's. Famous drinks there include Teh Tarik, Teh Ahlia (ginger), Milo Dinosaur (super sweet Milo drink piled high with even more Milo powder)

They are located outside the Seletar Airport complex which was an ex-RAF airbase, now mainly used by private planes and some US military flights. Inside Seletar Airport itself is another pretty good steak grill resraurant called Sunset Grill, and pretty hard to find that place if you don't know where it is. Interestingly, the owner of Sunset Grill hates crowds and has moved before when it became too popular.

If you're in Singapore, just ask any taxi driver for Jalan Kayu, and they'll take you there.

Comment

Thanks, bloob - I've not come across mention of Jalan Kayu before so must try it on a future trip to Singapore.

At the risk of getting my wrists slapped for causing this thread to go OT from the OT , can someone actually go inside Seletar Airport if s/he isn't intending to take a flight ? In other words, is it an airport which I can simply walk into as a member of the public ?

Comment

Originally posted by quik! View Post
                    Why can't they serve satay minus the sauce
                    You can ask for "no sauce". In 77W the sauce will be in separate bowl.

What's Jalan Kayu ?
                    You only know the Jalan for dot dot dot.
                    BTW, I remember in a few flights I took, they served naan or similar thing in addition to garlic bread and others. But I think only last for one or two months?

Took SQ16 SIN-ICN in C. Saw the Indian guy by the window had samosa, and another guy had something different, for the canape instead of satay!

Comment

I was kidding around with the Steward about teh tarik (on my SQ flight yesterday) and he actually did it for me. I was so surprised that I took a few pictures for posterity.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                        I was kidding around with the Steward about teh tarik (on my SQ flight yesterday) and he actually did it for me. I was so surprised that I took a few pictures for posterity.
                        Post them! Post them! Post them!
                        My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Then all that's missing is the good old crispy prata!!!

Why? That's not Indian food.

Comment

Thanks, bloob - I've not come across mention of Jalan Kayu before so must try it on a future trip to Singapore.

At the risk of getting my wrists slapped for causing this thread to go OT from the OT , can someone actually go inside Seletar Airport if s/he isn't intending to take a flight ? In other words, is it an airport which I can simply walk into as a member of the public ?
                            Jalan Kayu is more of a haunt for locals and expats in the know, but more adventurous tourists are making a beeline for the area, which still has that old Singapore charm. Well worth the trouble getting there, as it is in the boondocks.

Seletar Airport and the large area around it has been open to the public for a number of years already, and security is tight only for the airport and the few army camps right inside. The old RAF Officers' quarters and bungalows are now being rented out, and there are companies and restaurants operating. There is also the Seletar Golf & Country Club inside as well. You will need a car to get around the Jalan Kayu/Seletar area as it is quite huge, and one of the last remaining pockets of open area left in Singapore.

See it before the government decides to redevelop it.

Comment

Working...
                            X