SQ A350XWBs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ A350XWBs

So what exactly is the status of SQ's future fleet plans?

Specifically, is the A350XWB order finalised, and how long are we gonna flying the older pre-Wisemen 772s? I assume the A333 stop-gap lease deal is done, so the A350 order is part-and-parcel of that?

No news from Paris as yet... With the advent of the cash-rich Middle Eastern carriers, gone are the days when SQ was the belle-of-the ball at Paris or Farnbrough signing the mega-deal...

There has been no news about SQ's A350-900XWB orders being finalised, all it is now is just a LOI (letter of intent). We have to wait and see when the orders are confirmed. It looks like we have to fly the older regional 777s (without AVOD) for sometime till 2011-2012. The first A330 is entering service in 2009, so it looks like the current regional 772s will start to leave the fleet.

Comment

350XWB for SQ

Good News! SQ has finally firmed up its 20 350XWB at Le Bourget today. SQ will also hold on to its additional 20 aircrafts as option.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
        Good News! SQ has finally firmed up its 20 350XWB at Le Bourget today. SQ will also hold on to its additional 20 aircrafts as option.
        That's an excellent piece of news to hear. For those who want to see the article published by Airbus SAS, here's the link. http://www.airbus.com/en/presscentre..._sia_a350.html

Comment

SQ orders 20 A350XWBs

from Airbus:

Originally posted by Airbus
          Singapore Airlines signs contract for 20 A350 XWB
          22 June 2007

Singapore Airlines has signed a contract for the purchase of 20 A350-900 XWBs to meet its requirements on medium to long-range routes across the Asia-Pacific region from 2013 onwards. This order, which firms up the Letter of Intent placed in July 2006, represents another major commitment to the expansion of the airline’s Airbus fleet, which is already destined to include 19 A380s and 19 A330s.

The A350 XWB (extra wide-body) is Airbus’ response to market demand for a medium capacity long range wide-body family. Available from 2013, it will have an entirely new, uncompromised, 21st Century design with a new and wider fuselage for extra space and passenger comfort. It will also be extra efficient, extra environmentally friendly and quiet, as it will feature all the advanced technologies available in the first part of the 21st Century, bringing the A380 experience to a new level.

The all-new A350 XWB will offer Singapore Airlines unrivalled operating performance and economics, whilst passengers will enjoy outstanding comfort and amenities in a highly advanced and spacious cabin environment.

“We are very proud to have Singapore Airlines as a very early customer for the all new A350 XWB, particularly since it follows the announcement for nine additional A380 orders and 19 A330 leases. As one of the undisputed leaders of the global air transport industry, Singapore Airlines sets the most demanding standards to ensure that its aircraft combine outstanding passenger appeal, unbeatable efficiency and exceptional environmental friendliness. This makes it all the more gratifying for the A350 XWB to have been selected to meet the airline's requirement for future fleet growth and global network expansion,” said Louis Gallois, President and CEO, Airbus.

Conceived from the outset to become a comprehensive airliner Family, the A350 XWB will be available in three basic passenger versions, the A350-800 which can fly 270 passengers in a spacious three-class configuration up to 8,500 nm / 15,750 km, the A350-900 seating 314, and the A350-1000 which is designed for 350, both with ranges of up to 8,300nm / 15,400 km. The exact seating configuration for Singapore Airlines’ A350-900 XWBs will be announced by the airline at a later date.

With a cross section of 232 inches / 5.9 meters, the A350 XWB will benefit from the widest fuselage in its category, offering unprecedented levels of comfort in this market segment. It will also offer the lowest operating costs and lowest seat mile cost of any aircraft in that category. The Family is designed to confront the challenges of high fuel prices, rising passenger expectations, and environmental concerns in that market segment.

Airbus is an EADS company.
          "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Sounds to me like with the tougher competitive environment, SQ is trying to stay ahead of its competition particularly those from Gulf states. They probably got a good deal out from Airbus.

I am interested in finding out how the layout will be liked. Wonder if layout is same as the 773ER. Got to wait until the next decade to find out though.

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
              Sounds to me like with the tougher competitive environment, SQ is trying to stay ahead of its competition particularly those from Gulf states. They probably got a good deal out from Airbus.
              The (deep) discounts would have formed part of the compensation from Airbus with respect to the A380 delays.
              My Cafe Adventures
              Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
              http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
                That's an excellent piece of news to hear. For those who want to see the article published by Airbus SAS, here's the link. http://www.airbus.com/en/presscentre..._sia_a350.html
                That "article" is known as a press release. PRs are the official announcements to the media/public about major happenings for an organisation. However, note that they only choose to tell you what they want to tell you; PRs seldom contain negative news, and it's up to you to read between the lines.

Having said that, I feel glad that we have an intelligent 16-year-old within our midst. I hope my kid (a 5.5-month old infant now) will grow up to be a nice little young man like WSSS. Oh yes, I'm gonna infuse him with aviation-talk!
                My Cafe Adventures
                Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
                http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
                  I am interested in finding out how the layout will be liked. Wonder if layout is same as the 773ER. Got to wait until the next decade to find out though.
                  It is a narrower aircraft than the 777 family, and the aisles are already quite narrow on the 773ER. I don't think they'll be able to fit the same layout in the A350 -- perhaps the seats will be smaller?

Comment

It is indeed narrower.
                    The 777's cabin width is 6.19m whereas the A350XWB is 5.90m

Comment

SQ's press release:
                      http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...e/NE_3007.jsp?

Comment

It is likely the A350 seating will be in a typical Airbus seating configuration, 2-4-2 in Y, like its A330/A340 counterparts. Hence, the narrower cabin. Never flown the 77W before, so no comments. I guess the seats will have a smaller seat width. Economy class syndrome.

Comment

i think that SQ should sign for more 787 instead
                          since the 787 is almost done.

The whole plane is together with its engine and now all it needs is to be painted.

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
                            It is likely the A350 seating will be in a typical Airbus seating configuration, 2-4-2 in Y, like its A330/A340 counterparts. Hence, the narrower cabin. Never flown the 77W before, so no comments. I guess the seats will have a smaller seat width. Economy class syndrome.
                            I think you'll find it more 3-3-3 as the A350XWB is some 0.6m wider than the A330/340 and that's enough to fit another seat in. That's also one of the reasons why it had to go through a re-design as airlines wanted it to be comparable to the 787. Some airlines will be ordering 787's with 3-3-3 seating in its 5.72m wide cabin.

Comment

As of the close of 2015, when all 20 A350-900s now on order have joined the fleet, assuming normal SQ retirements, the fleet will look like this:

- 19 WhaleJets
                              - 19 777-300ERs
                              - 20 A350-900s
                              - 20 787-9s
                              - perhaps a handful of A330-300s and other 777s which would be retired in 2016.

That suggests we'll soon see an SQ order for another 20 or so aircraft. SQ are now holding options for the following:

- 6 WhaleJets
                              - 13 777-300ERs
                              - 20 A350s
                              - 20 787s

My sense is that SQ don't need anymore WhaleJets. It will be difficult to fill them while maintaining decent yields. The 777-300ER has much higher CASM than the other three options. The A350s are probably not available at the time SQ would need them. That suggests to me that SQ will probably order another tranche of 787s -- probably within the next 12 months -- to replace the A330-300s as they are returned to Airbus.
                              Last edited by zvezda; 26 June 2007, 04:15 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X