No announcement yet.

Singapore Airlines Flight Delays & Disruptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ346 is currently around 5 hours late heading to ZRH. It appears from looking across a few sources that it was rescheduled a few times during the night, leading to a 0645 eventual departure which must have been a fun night spent at Gate B8.

Perhaps a technical failure that went long enough to exceed the crew’s shift limits? They might need to get another 77W out of storage to replace SWM.

Comment

• I noticed some SQ flights are now flying across Afghan airspace again. But, the key word: SOME.

Example - SQ23, SQ332, SQ51, SQ377 are flying through as I write. But SQ317…25…327… etc are still making the detour north.

why would this be so?

Comment

• You’re right, SQ23 did go through it. I can also see a Finnair flight about to as well. Yet most planes in the area are bunched up at the southern tip avoiding Afghan airspace, including PIA and Turkish both making a sizeable deviation on the way to ISB.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
          I noticed some SQ flights are now flying across Afghan airspace again. But, the key word: SOME.

Example - SQ23, SQ332, SQ51, SQ377 are flying through as I write. But SQ317…25…327… etc are still making the detour north.

why would this be so?
          SIA is indeed using the L750 airway through Afghanistan again (SQ331 just passed through it), which offers a considerable time saving of around 30 minutes on Europe - Singapore flights, compared to the northern Uzbekistan / Tajikistan detour.

Unfortunately capacity is limited because aircraft are restricted to higher altitudes (FL330+) due to security risks and 15-minute spacing between aircraft at the same altitude is applied, because the airspace is uncontrolled (no ATC - so TIBA procedures apply).

The benefit can therefore only be enjoyed by a few flights each day.

Comment

• Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post

SIA is indeed using the L750 airway through Afghanistan again (SQ331 just passed through it), which offers a considerable time saving of around 30 minutes on Europe - Singapore flights, compared to the northern Uzbekistan / Tajikistan detour.

Unfortunately capacity is limited because aircraft are restricted to higher altitudes (FL330+) due to security risks and 15-minute spacing between aircraft at the same altitude is applied, because the airspace is uncontrolled (no ATC - so TIBA procedures apply).

The benefit can therefore only be enjoyed by a few flights each day.
            Very interesting information. That would make sense then why only select flights are using it as so many SQ flights cross that area at a similar time each day.

Comment

• So, the question remains: is SQ putting its passengers at risk by being one of the few main carriers that chooses to fly through?
              clearly quite a lot of airlines still choose to avoid that airspace completely.

Comment

Working...
              X