Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open jaw bookings are pricing crazily high online!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open jaw bookings are pricing crazily high online!

I have been looking to buy an open jaw SQ JCL fare to India for the last two days online and most of them (except BLR/MAA) are pricing crazily at SGD 6000 +

Same case observed for PEK/PVG or SYD/MEL. For the latter, pricing to almost SGD 10,000. Even Y class is upwards to SGD 7,000.

If this is a website glitch then it's taking far too long to resolve. I wonder how many last minute business travellers have to suck it up and pay this ridiculous amount or get stuck in AI/MU.

Straight return flights from the same points are not affected though.

Use a travel agent.
    I noticed that when I tried to do open jaw bookings and codeshare flights on the website.. I got fares that were insanely high, something like $4000 in Y to Europe.
    called SQ and even they told me to use a travel agent. Did that and managed to get the same itinerary at a "normal" $2000 or so

Comment

Open jaw tickets are usually for a full one year open ticket and hence the fare is very much higher than have a firmed return date and depending on the number of days trip.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
        Open jaw tickets are usually for a full one year open ticket and hence the fare is very much higher than have a firmed return date and depending on the number of days trip.
        I have been buying open-jaw tickets and mixed-class bookings all the time and they have been pricing at half of the round trips then added together. There is no extra premium paid for it.

For open jaws, as long as the destinations are in the same country, the fares are almost always the same. Only taxes and surcharges are slightly different.

Something is not performing on the website now. Even if I buy 2 one-ways or heck 2 returns, will still amount to cheaper than what is currently shown on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
          I have been buying open-jaw tickets and mixed-class bookings all the time and they have been pricing at half of the round trips then added together. There is no extra premium paid for it.

For open jaws, as long as the destinations are in the same country, the fares are almost always the same. Only taxes and surcharges are slightly different.

Something is not performing on the website now. Even if I buy 2 one-ways or heck 2 returns, will still amount to cheaper than what is currently shown on the website.
          Then would it work for you to buy two one-way tickets instead of an open jaw? Of course if you need to make changes later, this would mean paying two change fees--assuming that your fare allows changes for a fee.

Comment

T

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
            Then would it work for you to buy two one-way tickets instead of an open jaw? Of course if you need to make changes later, this would mean paying two change fees--assuming that your fare allows changes for a fee.
            Of course it will.

My point is that something is wrong with the website.
            Open jaws used to be displayed as it should be before.

I am just ranting. Hope it gets back to normal as before

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
              Of course it will.

My point is that something is wrong with the website.
              Open jaws used to be displayed as it should be before.

I am just ranting. Hope it gets back to normal as before
              You are absolutely right. Open jaw tickets from MEL to Europe have ALWAYS priced for me between or around the same rate as return flights to the two destinations. I almost always fly into one European country and fly out of another and I have NEVER had a problem getting a good fare off the website. Something is wrong and for SQ to tell people to go use a travel agent is absolutely appalling.

The only exception to the above is when codeshares are involved. Sometimes when the added local leg, e.g. FRA - DUS is included, you can get really bizarre results, but not when all flights are SQ. (The other time open jaws are basically impossible is for redemption bookings.)

This is a very worrying sign and they need to fix it fast, as the Gulf carriers make a big pitch for customers by promoting open jaw bookings.

Comment

Had the same problem when searching for multi-city Aust flights, it was pricing around $1k per pax in Y before Good Friday, then its been around $7k+ since then ...

Have since booked on EK & codeshare on QF, for my group of 10

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                  Had the same problem when searching for multi-city Aust flights, it was pricing around $1k per pax in Y before Good Friday, then its been around $7k+ since then ...

Have since booked on EK & codeshare on QF, for my group of 10
                  So how much has SQ learnt from the last time they fiddled with their website?

Hmmm... I think we can see with this post the answer quite clearly. More money lost because the website won't function correctly...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    So how much has SQ learnt from the last time they fiddled with their website?

Hmmm... I think we can see with this post the answer quite clearly. More money lost because the website won't function correctly...
                    Don't forget that they've had 4 years to try and fix the website. And CEO Goh Choon Phong even sent an apology letter promising to fix it.

Comment

Smells like a website issue like others are suspecting. What a surprise.

I definitely did open-jaws in the past (years ago) and my experience was the same than what others reported. Within same country usually a few dollars difference here and there due to tax and security fees, but otherwise pricing like a RT assuming the same fare bucket was available for both cities.

Comment

Working...
                      X