SQ228 delayed for 7 hours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ228 delayed for 7 hours

Anyone knows why SQ228 (9V-SKC) 19 Oct 2014 was delayed for 7 hours?

From Flight Aware it shows that the plane made a return to base:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/9...540Z/YMML/WSSS

and at the moment she is flying to Singapore departing midnight from MEL arriving Singapore about 5am:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/9...230Z/YMML/WSSS

I've not seen anything in the Melbourne news websites. If it were a QF A380 returning to the airport, there'd be stories everwhere about it.

Ouch for those on board with connections to Europe- the flight becoming an overnighter means they wouldn't have to put them up in hotels at Changi, but they'd face a whole day in the airport waiting for the next day's flight to ZRH/AMS/MUC/CDG... At least the more common connections to LHR/BOM/DEL/FRA would be quicker. SQ208 left right on time, so given it was a return to port, even that option would probably have been missed.

Comment

Thanks SQ228.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverKrisSRG View Post
        Thanks SQ228.
        It's my duty to know as much as I can about the flight after which I named myself!

Comment

I thought so, the name says it all. SQ228 has been my favourite flight although SQ208 is more suitable for me to connect to MI102 to SRG, but I prefer SQ228/A388 rather than SQ208/A333 that has regional J class seat.

With SIA stopover holiday package I can have a 6 hours sleep at Ambassador transit hotel for a few dollars.

Comment

SQ228 was my first ever SQ flight, back when it was the 747 and it was the beginning of my first six overseas journeys. I'm fond of SQ208 too, as the Y product is identical but more intimate and the later departure time gives me more time at home before leaving. The great downside of SQ208 is that even though it offers connections to flights leaving 0100 onwards, its arrival time is fairly unreliable because of the tight turnaround in MEL. If the slightest thing goes wrong at any point of an SQ207/8 flight pair, onward connections become a frantic dash through Changi. As I also discovered earlier this year, it's also prone to cancellation when passenger traffic is low.

Comment

My first SQ228 was back in 1989, it was probably five times a week service MEL-SIN as opposed now three times a day. It was flown by Boeing 743 (MegaTop) or 74D (Combi)- half cargo half pax. The route was MEL-BNE-SIN and BNE-MEL-SIN the other day. Amazing how the business grown up.

Comment

My first SQ228 was back in 1989, it was probably five times a week service MEL-SIN as opposed now three times a day. It was flown by Boeing 743 (MegaTop) or 74D (Combi)- half cargo half pax. The route was MEL-BNE-SIN and BNE-MEL-SIN the other day. Amazing how the business grown up.
                Wow, that's quite an insight! That's back when interstate bus travel was so popular between MEL and BNE there were more coaches departing per day than flights even though it was a 22 hour journey. Now there's easily 30 flights a day and only two buses per week. The car park at MEL was still just one single level.

There are 4 daily flights now though, not three.

And in exactly one month, that will increase to 5 flights on 3 days of the week with the introduction of SQ248!

Comment

If I'm not mistaken SQ used to connect MEL with ADL too, also on a mixture of 743 and 74D (Boeing 747-312 Combi). I can't remember if it occurred around the same time as the BNE-MEL linked pair though.

And I think that in the late 80s and early 90s probably only SYD, PER and perhaps DRW have direct point-to-point flights on SIN on SQ. BNE and ADL was linked to MEL I think. It is amazing indeed how business has grown on the Australian routes for SQ over the years!

Comment

Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
                    If I'm not mistaken SQ used to connect MEL with ADL too, also on a mixture of 743 and 74D (Boeing 747-312 Combi).
                    I arrived in MEL on the 747Combi via ADL in 1982.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken SQ used to connect MEL with ADL too, also on a mixture of 743 and 74D (Boeing 747-312 Combi). I can't remember if it occurred around the same time as the BNE-MEL linked pair though.
                      It was something like a daily flight to MEL via ADL/BNE , 1-3-5 via ADL and 2-4-6-7 via BNE, but the route loop was SIN-BNE/ADL-MEL-SIN and the other day was SIN-MEL-BNE/ADL-SIN

And I think that in the late 80s and early 90s probably only SYD, PER and perhaps DRW have direct point-to-point flights on SIN on SQ. BNE and ADL was linked to MEL I think. It is amazing indeed how business has grown on the Australian routes for SQ over the years!
                      I recall I flew SIN-DRW-BNE arriving DRW like 2-3am for a stop, the on to BNE. The DRW airport was still using ceiling fans...

Comment

I recall I flew SIN-DRW-BNE arriving DRW like 2-3am for a stop, the on to BNE. The DRW airport was still using ceiling fans...
                        I flew this route all the way to BNE in June 1990. It was on a 74D. Flight was delayed almost 3 hours from Changi but it was still a good flight.

Comment

The car park in melbourne wasnt as expensive i flew sq228 to athens when it was the mega top

Comment

Found this memoribilia:

BTW The SQ girl in the cover page is now called SQ Auntie, having 21 years addition on her age... hahaha

SIN-MEL with one stop BNE/ADL:

to ADL:

to BNE with DRW stop on day 6:

this booklet was useful, before www.singaporeair.com was born...

SQ218 /SQ217 also not born yet...

Comment

What a gem. I love looking at old airline schedules to see the equipment of old, former destinations and routings.

Comment

Working...
                              X