Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Trip To Bristol!

Hey folks,

It's been a long time since I had any good news on my end, so you can imagine the elation within me when, over a casual lunch with a vendor today, I was invited to visit their premises in Bristol, UK. I last travelled in SQ Raffles/Business Class more than a year back, so this piece of news set my mind abuzz. I'm now looking at the flight combinations, and thought I could use a bit of help here.

The most natural route that came to mind was obviously SQ308/320/322 (SIN-LHR), followed by train ride to Bristol. However, I thought a better way to enjoy the trip might be to fly to Bristol via one of the B77W destinations. Zurich and Frankfurt don't offer direct flights to BRS, so I'm left with Milan, Barcelona and Paris. Looking at the regional flight schedules, Paris offers the best connection in terms of layover.

If you were me, would you fly SQ334 and transfer onto AF1372? Or would you suggest an alternative itenary? I doubt anyone here would say the new Business Class is nothing to shout about? By the way, I still have my free 25,000 miles (from my SQ AMEX PPS Card), which I could put to good use on the return flight, if you know what I mean.
    My Cafe Adventures
    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
    would you fly SQ334 and transfer onto AF1372?
    This routing - is only marginally better than going via LHR as this involves a CDG T1 arrival to T2 transfer to catch AF - and is a total bummer.

If you can find something going ZRH-BRS or something, it'd be much better.

Comment

The most natural route that came to mind was obviously SQ308/320/322 (SIN-LHR), followed by train ride to Bristol. However, I thought a better way to enjoy the trip might be to fly to Bristol via one of the B77W destinations. Zurich and Frankfurt don't offer direct flights to BRS, so I'm left with Milan, Barcelona and Paris. Looking at the regional flight schedules, Paris offers the best connection in terms of layover.
      If you do go through CDG, you'll see why it's really not the best connection. CDG isn't very traveller-friendly, IMHO. Go for other options.

I would do ZRH, then LCY (painless airport ), and then the train to Bristol.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        This routing - is only marginally better than going via LHR as this involves a CDG T1 arrival to T2 transfer to catch AF - and is a total bummer.

If you can find something going ZRH-BRS or something, it'd be much better.
        I know ZRH is a much better place to do a connection than CDG is, and trust me, I did consider this route. The problem is, there's no direct flight between Zurich and Bristol. The other possibilities would be:

a. Take an easyJet flight out of MXP with a 45-minute layover
        B. Fly on easyJet out of BCN after a 1.5-hour layover

With the second option, it would be 1215 upon touchdown in BRS, two hours later than if I took AF out of CDG. How bad is the intra-terminal transfer in CDG?
        My Cafe Adventures

Comment

How bad is the intra-terminal transfer in CDG?
          BAD with a capital F*&@...

sorry, very unladylike there, but you get my drift

Comment

I am looking at the opportunity in a different way. Since the 77W is a very popular right now, I will get which ever route I get. If it is Paris, I will take it. I have done this before. Yes CDG is bad, but for me it's part of travel experience. Getting off from SQ, to find the way to go down to the transfer bus is a puzzle. But there is an SQ staff around that next time definitely I will ask her/him rather than asking other people.
            The bus is from lower floor. Better take the stairs to go down since with the lift sometimes the guy there is not that helpful. Have to wait for the bus patiently.
            But once you are in AF terminal, everything will be easy. The lounge is decent.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              I'd go for the above given how pleasant LCY is.

Alternatively, something like SQ to FRA, BA to LHR (so you get to use BA's LHR T1 zone R premium check-in/security on the way back - mostly painless), 15 mins by Heathrow Express to Paddington and finally, the train from Paddington to Bristol (about 1 hr 40 mins).

Edit: as for the other options:

CDG - not for the reasons given above

MXP - surely you want to fly further on the 77W!

BCN - I've never been so perhaps I'm wrong but I just don't think of Spanish airports as being models of efficiency!
              Last edited by jhm; 21 May 2007, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                Unfortunately the pain here is getting from LCY to Paddington, where you get the train to both Bristol Temple Meads (City Centre) or Bristol Parkway (outskirts). East to West london is not a nice trip as it's either a pain to drag the bags on DLR/Tube or half the flight cost for a taxi.

Another option you may consider is via MAN. SQ328 flies daily except Monday and Wednesday (daily except Tue/Thur back obviously) and there is then a (board favourite) turboprop flight DH8 on WOW (Air Southwest) departing at 0855 to BRS, 2 hours after SQ328 (which is sometimes early) gets in.

The transfer from the SQ arrival (T2) to the WOW departure (T3) is a bit of a pain it avoids LHR and CDG, two of the worst airports on the planet.

Comment

The OP wants to take a 77W which MAN is lucky enough not to get.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    Unfortunately the pain here is getting from LCY to Paddington, where you get the train to both Bristol Temple Meads (City Centre) or Bristol Parkway (outskirts). East to West london is not a nice trip as it's either a pain to drag the bags on DLR/Tube or half the flight cost for a taxi.
                    If the OP was getting subsidized for the 77W fare, I assumed the cab fare wouldn't be too onerous.

Comment

It's heartening to see the replies coming fast and furious! So I now have two choices from opposing camps.

1. SIN-ZRH-LCY-Bristol. ZRH: Wonderful airport, painless connection. LCY: Fuss-free airport, pleasant experience. However, the nightmare comes during the train transfer.

2. SIN-CDG-BRS. CDG: Worst airport on Earth, nightmarish bus transfer. However, once in T2, life is good again. Direct flight to BRS.

Points to consider:

1. I'm a sucker for air travel. Not sure how I'll take to transferring onto a train for business travel, with luggage, laptop and all. Is the London-Bristol train ride anything like the TransAlpine in New Zealand's South Island? I wouldn't mind a ride on the nice English countryside but I would think twice if all we see are industrial towns.

2. The first itenary involves an airport transfer, at ZRH, plus two land transfers, at LCY and Paddington Station. The second itenary is a more direct route, involving only one, but nightmarish transfer at CDG. Overall, the journey is much shorter here. Do SQ and AF have interline arrangements?

Another thing I wish to know: I'm intending to upgrade one of the legs from C to F. Given that this may be my one and only chance (in my lifetime, or at least in the next few years) to experience F, how should I best maximise it?

Common sense tells me use my miles on a day flight, unless all I want to experience is the F bed. Thus, it makes sense to fly F on the return journey, either ZRH-SIN or CDG-SIN. Some factors to consider:

a. There's no SKL in Zurich and Paris. So my lounge experience would be had within the confines of a contracted lounge.

b. I would lose out on the chance to use the F check-in lounge in Changi. Is that something that's worth trying, for a mortal like me?

c: To use the Changi F check-in lounge, I could fly F on a daytime outbound flight, ie. SQ308 or SQ320. This would also ensure experiencing SKL LHR inbound. Alas, the B77W would be gone. What do you think?

For those who have been there and done that, I believe there are some intricacies involved in B77W C-F upgrades. I believe I need more than 50,000 miles? Also, for one who's never been in F, should I try the B744 Skysuite and save the B77W First product for the future? I'm talking about expectation management here!
                      My Cafe Adventures

Comment

I was just reminded that only unrestricted award tickets are available for flights operated with B77W aircraft. Does this apply to upgrade tickets too? If this is true, then all the above planning would go down the drain. I'd either stick with New Business Class travel round-trip (ZRH or CDG) and save my miles for future Economy trips, or upgrade myself to F on one leg on B744-operated flights (LHR).
                        My Cafe Adventures

Comment

I was just reminded that only unrestricted award tickets are available for flights operated with B77W aircraft. Does this apply to upgrade tickets too? If this is true, then all the above planning would go down the drain. I'd either stick with New Business Class travel round-trip (ZRH or CDG) and save my miles for future Economy trips, or upgrade myself to F on one leg on B744-operated flights (LHR).
                          Good to see you flying! My CDG flight's been waitlisted for quite a while now. Hoping it'll clear so I can ticket my ticket...

In any case regarding 77W, only unrestricted awards are allowed, unless redeeming in Y, which obviously you're not. Unfortunate that... That makes the C/F awards planes that are not 77W.

Go with the 77W I'd say! The new J cabin looks good.

Comment

High Flyer,

Yes, the mileage requirements for 77W upgrades to J/F are also doubled, e.g. it costs 90,000 KF miles to upgrade one way LHR-SIN (assuming it's a 77W which it's not) rather than 45,000 KF miles. At this level (temporary so SQflyergirl understands from sources), it's not worth it IMHO to blow your KF miles on a 77W flight. However, notwithstanding that and given your points above, I would recommend you take LHR-SIN-LHR rather than the 77W for the following reasons:

1 It's the most direct and "normal" route (particularly important if your client/vendor will be paying) and less hassle compared to changing flights at ZRH let alone CDG.

2 Whilst you have to endure LHR, the train connections are easy - HEX (15 mins) to Paddington and then the train from Paddington to Bristol (1 hour 40 mins). Yes, you'll get lots of "nice English countryside" between London and Bristol!

3 You get to expeience (if you haven't done so already) the LHR VS CH - one of the best lounges in the world and far far better than the SIN SKL F (so I understand - I haven't been to either).

4 Long haul F on the 744 won't be around too much once the A380's start coming. The 744 F product is still very very good so no loss about saving the 77W for later.

5 Plenty of opportunities in the future to try the 77W J/F - particularly, intra-Asia where the difference between J and F can be minimal. For example, I paid around £650 for PVG-HKG-SIN on KA F (an interesting experience) and SQ 77W F and I think the price difference between J and F was only a hundred pounds or so.

BTW, getting from LCY to Paddington isn't a "nightmare" as such - it just involves queueing for a black cab and the journey across London (up to an hour I'd say).

You can't use the LHR SKL inbound from SIN - it's a departure lounge and not an arrivals lounge.

Comment

Can you use a combination: SIN-ZRH-LCY on the outbound, LHR-SIN on the inbound? This way, you can fly the 77W to Europe and experience the new Business Class, which seems a cut above what competitors offer. Then you can use your miles to upgrade LHR-SIN, which would mean you experience (as jhm noted):

1. LHR VS CH

2. LHR SKL F (for the Singapore Slings )

3. The SkySuite before they're overtaken by the new seats. I love the SkySuites.

4. The crew on the LHR-SIN route, which tends to be just stellar

The F checkin in SIN isn't that amazing, IMO. Very nice, but really, how much time do you really spend checking in (particularly if you're on a straightforward point-to-point F flight)? (Notable exception being our beloved CGK.)

Comment

Working...
                              X