Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ238 MEL/SIN: Is First Class upgrade from J worthwhile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ238 MEL/SIN: Is First Class upgrade from J worthwhile?

I am currently booked to fly J class on SQ238 MEL to SIN. This is a 777-200 with regional seats in J and F class. I am thinking of upgrading to First (yes, I did check SQ website to see if this flight had three classes). I'd be grateful if anyone who has previously travelled J and F class on this flight could advise if F class is worth it. Are there significant differences in terms of seat comfort? P.S. I had a regional J class seat on the SIN-MEL route a couple of months ago and found it to be, well, not the best - especially having just flown on the new J class SIN-CDG-SIN. Many thanks in advance.

Could you not take the later SQ228 which is a Megatop with the much better Skysuites in F?.

I agree the regional J seats are nothing to write home about, especially compared to J on the 77W. While the F seats on the 3 class 772 are comfortable this probably won't make much difference as SQ238 is essentially a day flight so maybe you wouldn't sleep much. Having said that you could always try and clean them out of Krug and Dom so maybe that would swing it...

I suppose it's really up to you to weigh everything up. Do you have a lot of KF miles or some about to expire ?. If so, why not!.

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, rodw!

I've done SQ238 in J and IMHO the regional J seat is fine for a daylight flight. You will be served a full lunch after take off and a refreshment prior to arrival.

When are you flying? I don't know ** exact itinerary but maybe you could change to other flights to avoid the regional seating?

If after Oct 28 - SQ218 will be 77W-operated. But beware of the Q surcharge, and the OMG flight timing if you're terminating your journey in SIN.

Otherwise SQ228 is operated by the 744 and has the Spacebeds.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 1 May 2007, 11:15 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks MAN Flyer and KeithMEL for your advice. What you say makes a lot of sense. On one hand, I do have plenty of points and I do like Krug and Dom (flying SQ F class is the only chance I ever get to drink the stuff)!! On the other hand, being a day flight means I won't really need to sleep so the J class product in that sense might be OK. Oh, what the heck, maybe I should go for it and clean them out of Krug and enjoy the food (is caviar available on this flight???)!!

Unfortunately I can't change my flights because I fly out of MEL on 13 May, I have paper tickets that were issued by my employer in France and I'm connecting with Silk Air to go to Chongqing.

Thanks again. I always enjoy reading your posts

Comment

Yes I believe there is caviar in F on SQ238. Enjoy!
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

If you're going to pay with cash - go for it. IIRC, it wasn't an overly large leap pricewise from full C.

With miles, the J-F upgrade on this leg length, on this flight is not worth it.

Comment

I flew SIN-MEL once before in F on the 772.

Yes, the seat was very disappointing, not fully flat and IMO not better than a J class Spacebed.

So I agree with SQflyergirl : do cash upgrade only if its very cheap, and not worth it with miles upgrade.
              J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Working...
              X