SQ218 is going A380

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ218 is going A380

Just got a note from SQ that my parents' booking for next April have had their seats swapped from 1C and D to 3C and D.

It is an A380!!!

I just made the booking 1.5 days ago - phew

thanks to our lovely friend(s) at airlineroute.net :

Singapore Airlines to Start 2nd Daily A380 Melbourne Service from mid-August 2012
    by JL

Update at 0630GMT 19JUL12

Singapore Airlines starting 16AUG12 is introducing 2nd Daily Airbus A380 service on Singapore – Melbourne route, as per 19JUL12 GDS timetable and inventory display. SQ217/218 will be operated by Airbus A380 instead of 777-300ER aircraft.

Schedule:

SQ217 SIN0955 – 1915MEL 388 D
    SQ227 SIN2100 – 0620+1MEL 388 D
    SQ237 SIN2355 – 0915+1MEL 773 D

SQ218 MEL0005 – 0555SIN 388 D
    SQ238 MEL1025 – 1615SIN 773 D
    SQ228 MEL1545 – 2145SIN 388 D
    I think this is great news, the 77W SQ217 was pretty heavily booked IIRC.
    My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
      thanks to our lovely friend(s) at airlineroute.net :

I think this is great news, the 77W SQ217 was pretty heavily booked IIRC.
      It certainly is great news. SQ217 is the flight that connects with all the long-hauls from Europe as well as many red-eye flights from India and other Asian destinations. I've flown it many times in the past 5 years, and Y is always packed, even in low season.

The flight also has no competitor in terms of time-slot on the SIN-MEL route. All other airlines, including QF, concentrate on the overnight SIN-MEL operation, which really is an awful way to arrive either home or to your holiday experience- pre-dawn surrounded by other A380 loads of passengers on only 3 hours sleep SQ217 arrives pretty much on its own so there's no competition in the customs and baggage queues with other flights.

Up-gauging SQ218 will also feed more passengers onto SQ308 to LHR now that it's also been A380'd.

Comment

Looks like SQFG's gut still works

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          Looks like SQFG's gut still works
          Yes. Thanks to you and your posts awhile back.
          I bet on your gut feel and just won a Suites upgauge for my parents.
          And so lucky that I just made it not even 48 hours ago.

Am also hoping for a PEK upgauge. Booked MEL-SIN-PEK for just about 15K more miles than a straight MEL-SIN itin. What does your gut feel say about this potential.

Or will HKG or NRT will get their 2nd? Two more A380s are coming. I think they have spare capacity for 1 more regional rotation

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
            Just got a note from SQ that my parents' booking for next April have had their seats swapped from 1C and D to 3C and D.

It is an A380!!!

I just made the booking 1.5 days ago - phew
            Just got the same note.....

My award F booking just turned into suites for SWMBO and self.
            F ==> suites = sweet.

Hope my connection to/from SFO on SQ16 or return on SQ 1 gets upgraded also.

HVB ( feeling pretty chuffed. )

HVB

Comment

I don't want to spoil anyone's excitement folks, but it may just be worth remembering SQ's recent history of equipment swaps to MEL.

I am sure everything will be ok for those who lucked out with Suites, but just in case...

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12069

Comment

I think they've turned the situation around now. Apart from the day they had to bring in 9V-SYE in a hurry when a catering truck drove into a 77W at MEL airport, I haven't seen any data indicating an equipment swaps since about February.

They did some substitution of 77Ws with 73As on SQ 217/8 for a few days here and there in May/June, but it was planned and announced well in advance, even on the PDF timetable. They're winning back my trust...

Comment

My return flight from SIN on SQ217 also now showing A380

no more 77W

Comment

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
                    My return flight from SIN on SQ217 also now showing A380

no more 77W
                    Yeah, both you and me will be big fat whales from now on...

I wonder how SQ238 is feeling about being left behind as an old 773 with new seat covers

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                      Yeah, both you and me will be big fat whales from now on...

I wonder how SQ238 is feeling about being left behind as an old 773 with new seat covers
                      Ahhhhh, I'll cop my whack as long as my brothers remain fat and happy.

Very good news for MEL, lets hope we can count on our aircraft not being taken from us any more.

Comment

yeahh , flying them on 29 Aug , Selected the seat and I hope no changes anymore

Comment

I scored two tickets :-)

Comment

Working...
                          X